Plants

Yes Ficus are safe. Wich type of ivy? Hedera helix is toxic. But you can use Pothos and Cissus sp. if you want more of an ivy looking plant :)

I'd also stay way from Ficus elastica, or the rubber plant. It's a relatively fragile plant, and oozes a sap that is difficult to remove.

Yes Ficus are safe. Wich type of ivy? Hedera helix is toxic. But you can use Pothos and Cissus sp. if you want more of an ivy looking plant :)

Pothos is also toxic.

Ivy is toxic to cats and dogs, not to Birds. Reptiles are more in with Bird toxicity than cats and dogs.

Do you have an article about Ivy toxicity to Herps? I can never find one.

Never heard of a Cham eating ivy directly. But plenty of people feed their sticks ivy, and then feed the sticks to Chams with no Ill effects.

Also, according to the most complete and tested list I have seen for reptiles and plants. Pothos and English Ivy, cause the exact same minimally toxic results.

Diarrhea on ingestion, calcium blocking issues and Dermatitis when touched.

https://ourreptileforum.com/community/threads/toxic-plants.916/

So as you can see, Pothos v English Ivy, same degree of toxicity, same symptoms. Why Ivy gets a bad rap and not Pothos. I will never know, I guess wrap it up to the same reason alot in our hobby does. Telephone effect, and parroting of wrong information for ages.

Which is why I do what I do, I know you have commented about it, twice now. I'm not trying to be rude. I just lack tact, and am the misinformation police :). To try and stop, the further spread of bad info, that has been spread for years, one piece at a time :).

Last edited:
So Pothos is toxic? She has been eating her Pothos plant and croton plant too.
I wanted to add more plant variety for her to make it look more green since in some spaces she’s lacks coverage. She feels more comfortable all the way to the top in a corner where the larger Pothos covers.
Pothos is also toxic.

Ivy is toxic to cats and dogs, not to Birds. Reptiles are more in with Bird toxicity than cats and dogs.

Do you have an article about Ivy toxicity to Herps? I can never find one.

Never heard of a Cham eating ivy directly. But plenty of people feed their sticks ivy, and then feed the sticks to Chams with no Ill effects.

Also, according to the most complete and tested list I have seen for reptiles and plants. Pothos and English Ivy, cause the exact same minimally toxic results.

Diarrhea on ingestion, calcium blocking issues and Dermatitis when touched.

https://ourreptileforum.com/community/threads/toxic-plants.916/

So as you can see, Pothos v English Ivy, same degree of toxicity, same symptoms. Why Ivy gets a bad rap and not Pothos. I will never know, I guess wrap it up to the same reason alot in our hobby does. Telephone effect, and parroting of wrong information for ages.

Which is why I do what I do, I know you have commented about it, twice now. I'm not trying to be rude. I just lack tact, and am the misinformation police :). To try and stop, the further spread of bad info, that has been spread for years, one piece at a time :).

So Pothos is toxic? She has been eating her Pothos plant and croton plant too.
I wanted to add more plant variety for her to make it look more green since in some spaces she’s lacks coverage. She feels more comfortable all the way to the top in a corner where the larger Pothos covers.

Ya mildly, like Ivy. Can cause a stomach ache, diarrhea, itching when touched.

Its not going to be fatal, most likely, but probably would try to get her to stop eating it.

So no safe plant pretty much?i haven’t seen her eat it in a week. Not sure if she experience stomach ache and just decided to stay Away from it.
Ya mildly, like Ivy. Can cause a stomach ache, diarrhea, itching when touched.

Its not going to be fatal, most likely, but probably would try to get her to stop eating it.

Remove the Croton. It's poisionous -- especially if when you break the stems or leaves it produces milky substance. I stay away from any and all plants that emit juice or too much "wetness" when broken/bruised.

Why would it be listed on our forum...great...thank you!
Remove the Croton. It's poisionous -- especially if when you break the stems or leaves it produces milky substance. I stay away from any and all plants that emit juice or too much "wetness" when broken/bruised.

For future reference, you can google any plant you are curious about -- just put "toxicity" after the plant name and see what comes up. My rule of thumb is if it's toxic to dogs and cats / humans I do not use it. This may be overkill as not all plants that are toxic to dogs/cats/humans necessarily ARE Toxic to chams, but better safe then sorry.

Also -- I don't put anything in that is an external irritant IE Skin irritant. Since the chams are touching plants all the time -- again better safe than sorry.

My enclosure has some pothos, verigated and not -- a ficus, stromanthe triostar, Aphelandra squarrosa.

Thank you very much!
For future reference, you can google any plant you are curious about -- just put "toxicity" after the plant name and see what comes up. My rule of thumb is if it's toxic to dogs and cats / humans I do not use it. This may be overkill as not all plants that are toxic to dogs/cats/humans necessarily ARE Toxic to chams, but better safe then sorry.

Also -- I don't put anything in that is an external irritant IE Skin irritant. Since the chams are touching plants all the time -- again better safe than sorry.

My enclosure has some pothos, verigated and not -- a ficus, stromanthe triostar, Aphelandra squarrosa.

Back
Top Bottom