Plants?

King4Zerg

If I where to put a plant in my cage for my veiled cham what type should I use? I was thinking about Pothos but I don't know if I should so I'm asking.

Pothos is by far my favorite. They can go a while without water or can live with a flood. They can take an extended time without much light.. they don't flourish but they live. When I first got into chameleons in 1997, pothos were concidered by many to be the only truely safe plant. Even ficus can give off a good bit of sap which can cause digestion problem if they eat too much. Pothos also is excellent for regulating humidity.

You really do want to have big plants in the cage. Or many of them, they can be good for climbing, they are good for the cham to hide in from the lights, they help control temps, raise humidity.

Do you have a picture of your setup?

Here is my enclosure

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 70
Honestly, your chameleon would prefer if you did have a large plant in there. Your chameleons' needs should take priority over your personal preferences.

No one can tell you exactly how quickly a particular plant will grow. It depends on the size of the plant, the location of the plant, your lighting, how good you are at caring for plants, etc. Pothos, schefflera arboricola, and ficus are all safe and sturdy options which your chameleon would enjoy very much. They will also improve the humidity

but HOW much will it GROW? how big will it get if I don't trim it for a while?
pothos will get at least 4 or 5 feet if you don't trim it but its so tough you can just hack it where you want to trim it. Its a vine so you have to make it go where you want.

Frustration with the other post...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/breeding.165874/unread

"Listen I just want to learn and I said in the future I would breed why can't you see that? I just want to know things OK, I just want to learn and if I did breed my cham it would be in 2-3-4 years so please stop telling me WHY I shouldn't and help me learn? THIS SITE IS FOR THAT RIGHT?"

"I'm gonna get some books and leave this site alone unless I want the resources programmed in the site, see y'all"

Frustration with the other post...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/breeding.165874/unread

"Listen I just want to learn and I said in the future I would breed why can't you see that? I just want to know things OK, I just want to learn and if I did breed my cham it would be in 2-3-4 years so please stop telling me WHY I shouldn't and help me learn? THIS SITE IS FOR THAT RIGHT?"

"I'm gonna get some books and leave this site alone unless I want the resources programmed in the site, see y'all"

Yep just saw that,

@King4Zerg
Hopefully you don't leave over that. I know it can be frustrating when you feel like your being attacked, but everyone here is just trying to help.

You have to see things through other's eyes, and empthathize with the stuff they deal with from new members day in and day out. Being jaded comes with the territory, and sometimes it feels like being brutal and short, is the only way to get through.

Try to emphasize with that, if you can, and you will find joy, help and laughter here, with this great bunch of people. Show us that you want to learn, and are prepared to do so your self. And take criticism, for what it is, them trying to help.

Last edited:
Honestly, your chameleon would prefer if you did have a large plant in there. Your chameleons' needs should take priority over your personal preferences.

No one can tell you exactly how quickly a particular plant will grow. It depends on the size of the plant, the location of the plant, your lighting, how good you are at caring for plants, etc. Pothos, schefflera arboricola, and ficus are all safe and sturdy options which your chameleon would enjoy very much. They will also improve the humidity
Would a good size plant and lots of vines be okay ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom