Plants ... lord help

Lexlynn

Established Member
Okay so I’ve finally gotten to getting more plants. I have a pothos now that just chills in there I’m hanging it today from the top it grew insanely quick... side note I know nothing about plants, I definitely don’t have a green thumb - my flowers die within 2 days of receiving them and I’m pretty sure they just need water... anyways I found a woman near me who grows plants and there’s a 3 ft monstera I’m looking to buy for about 80 bucks. Another plant Im purchasing after work is a snake plant. What are the care on these plants? I also want something else with color possibly. Do I need a grow light? I know the pothos does not but the other 2 possibly??? And if a grow light is needed where do I put the grow light? I read a previous thread that said it can mess up your basking temps so where would I put that, just another dome ? What plants does everyone recommend. I’m like so overwhelmed with the live plants lol I just want the fake out 🙅🏻‍♀️

There is a plant list on the resources tab. I have one which they recommended, the umbrella plant. I’ve been trying to grow out my wandering Jew plant to add it in too

There is a plant list on the resources tab. I have one which they recommended, the umbrella plant. I’ve been trying to grow out my wandering Jew plant to add it in too
The lady I was going to buy this snake plant from has a rubber plant I googled it because I have no idea how to care for it and it says slightly poisonous??? I saw the list of recommended plants I’ve seen people had rubber plants too, would you recommend this ?

Okay so I’ve finally gotten to getting more plants. I have a pothos now that just chills in there I’m hanging it today from the top it grew insanely quick... side note I know nothing about plants, I definitely don’t have a green thumb - my flowers die within 2 days of receiving them and I’m pretty sure they just need water... anyways I found a woman near me who grows plants and there’s a 3 ft monstera I’m looking to buy for about 80 bucks. Another plant Im purchasing after work is a snake plant. What are the care on these plants? I also want something else with color possibly. Do I need a grow light? I know the pothos does not but the other 2 possibly??? And if a grow light is needed where do I put the grow light? I read a previous thread that said it can mess up your basking temps so where would I put that, just another dome ? What plants does everyone recommend. I’m like so overwhelmed with the live plants lol I just want the fake out 🙅🏻‍♀️
Hey there hun. All plants really need the additional plant lighting... Here is a link to Veiled tested plants. https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/
But you want to provide either LED plant lights that are safe for chameleons... Jungle dawn is an option. Or t5ho fixture with a 6500 daylight bulb. Like this one. https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/t5-uvb-light-fixture.html

I run two 6500 daylight bulbs and then my T5 for UVB. I have had no issues with plants dying off. Pothos are pretty tolerant of anything. But as you get other plants they are not.

Do not buy silks plants when caring for a veiled.
In a few months we were going to buy the dragon stand tall hybrid cage. As of right now we can’t so I saw someone recommend using like a bamboo stand I don’t know how they worded it. To hang plants within the cage, do you have experience with this? I was thinking of just buying the regular dragon stands but as we’re buying the whole cage probably in February I wasn’t sure if I should since the cage has them. Right now we have a mesh cage

See Foliage ideas? (thread)
I really like—and employed—the ideas (and plants) here: Chameleon Cage Plants

We've had many snake plants (a.k.a. mother-in-law's tongue) over the years; IME, they need very little light, and are nearly impossible to kill. Good for dark(er) corners in an enclosure, but don't over-water.
It is popular as a houseplant because it is tolerant of low light levels and irregular watering; during winter it needs only one watering every couple of months. It will rot easily if overwatered.[6] It is commonly recommended to beginners interested in cultivating houseplants for its easy care.[7]

I have pothos growing up a ceiling egg crate trellis in the back of my enclosure, along with Tradescantia pallida and a variegated English ivy.

I envy your monstera opportunity; good price for around where I live.

Do I need a grow light? .... And if a grow light is needed where do I put the grow light? I read a previous thread that said it can mess up your basking temps so where would I put that, just another dome ?
Whether or not you need... let's call them "plant lights" depends on where your enclosure is (how much natural light it's getting) and the plants you decide upon (how much light they need).

The main light(s) will go on top of your enclosure with the other lights (basking, UVB). Again, depending on light requirements and plants, you may or may not need additional plant lights along the (out)sides of your enclosure.

If you use LED plant lights, they shouldn't affect basking temps. Some types of plant lights might require domes; fluorescent T5 plant lights will require a T5 fixture, and self-contained LED plant lights will not require any further fixture.

I use these as my plant lights; they have excellent penetration down into the enclosure, so no additional plant lights are needed. My Missus uses some of their LED light "bulbs" (which are actually composite bulbs) for some of her plants that need add'l lights.

See Foliage ideas? (thread)
I really like—and employed—the ideas (and plants) here: Chameleon Cage Plants

We've had many snake plants (a.k.a. mother-in-law's tongue) over the years; IME, they need very little light, and are nearly impossible to kill. Good for dark(er) corners in an enclosure, but don't over-water.

I have pothos growing up a ceiling egg crate trellis in the back of my enclosure, along with Tradescantia pallida and a variegated English ivy.

I envy your monstera opportunity; good price for around where I live.

Whether or not you need... let's call them "plant lights" depends on where your enclosure is (how much natural light it's getting) and the plants you decide upon (how much light they need).

The main light(s) will go on top of your enclosure with the other lights (basking, UVB). Again, depending on light requirements and plants, you may or may not need additional plant lights along the (out)sides of your enclosure.

If you use LED plant lights, they shouldn't affect basking temps. Some types of plant lights might require domes; fluorescent T5 plant lights will require a T5 fixture, and self-contained LED plant lights will not require any further fixture.

I use these as my plant lights; they have excellent penetration down into the enclosure, so no additional plant lights are needed. My Missus uses some of their LED light "bulbs" (which are actually composite bulbs) for some of her plants that need add'l lights.
Thank you so much this definitely helped. I’m so flustered when it comes to plants. But this genuinely helped I appreciate all the help!!!

Before you know it you’ll be haunting the plant aisles of every home improvement store, searching on line for those harder to find locally plants and have plants in every spot of your house that gets natural light. ;)
I believe you lol. Even with the Cham I was so excited to her now I’m like obsessed to the point I’m texting my boyfriend every second like we should do this or how about this. He just yes’ me to death 🤣

Back
Top Bottom