Plants and Chameleons.

NickAdams2498

Hello everyone, Im new to the forums, my name is Nick and I have a juvenile veiled chameleon. His name is Pascal, he is a little under a year old. When I first got him he had a sibling. Unfortunately she passed away:( I just bought him a new house and he loves it. I looked up what plants are okay for chameleons. The website said gardenia plants are good for there cage but I was sitting here on my computer and Pascal was eating the leaves of the gardenia leaves. Now im not sure if its safe for hime to eat them and im also not sure about the pesticides that are used. I got the pant from our local Walmart and could not find anything about gardenias and chameleons just that its okay for them to be in the same cage. Can someone help me out?

Hi and welcome. If you have any doubts remove it ASAP i have star jasmine in with my girl but she is a panther and doesn't eat her plants . It is recommended that all plants are washed and rinsed down with dawn dish soap(don't know where you are in the world) and reported in organic soil.

I would not panic. As mentioned it is always best to thoroughly rinse and repot in organic soil.
They are listed as mild for cats and dogs causing gastral distress. This is one thing I do avoid when trying new plants. As it is unclear if or how this would effect a chameleon. I would avoid it.
Likely yours will show no sign. Not that he doesn't feel it he just would not let us know if he did. But it would probably be a long term exposure that would cause an issue nota single ingestion.
We do have a good list going on our site, and their care and placement. Ignore the peace Lilly, I am going to remove that.
www.caskAbove.com

As always keep an eye on him, it would likely show as lethargy. Let us know if anything comes of it.

Hi and welcome. If you have any doubts remove it ASAP i have star jasmine in with my girl but she is a panther and doesn't eat her plants . It is recommended that all plants are washed and rinsed down with dawn dish soap(don't know where you are in the world) and reported in organic soil.
Okay thank you so much I just wasn't sure im not new to the reptile hobby either, I just don't know what chams can and can't have.

I would not panic. As mentioned it is always best to thoroughly rinse and repot in organic soil.
They are listed as mild for cats and dogs causing gastral distress. This is one thing I do avoid when trying new plants. As it is unclear if or how this would effect a chameleon. I would avoid it.
Likely yours will show no sign. Not that he doesn't feel it he just would not let us know if he did. But it would probably be a long term exposure that would cause an issue nota single ingestion.
We do have a good list going on our site, and their care and placement. Ignore the peace Lilly, I am going to remove that.
www.caskAbove.com

As always keep an eye on him, it would likely show as lethargy. Let us know if anything comes of it.
What is the absolute best plant for pascal that you would recommend?

What is the absolute best plant for pascal that you would recommend?

There is not a best. Honestly I would go with what is available to you. Pathos and umbrella trees are very common, however veils do eat them. The palm or grassy plants don't get eaten so I use a combo. Another idea is to cycle plants through the enclosure. Meaning switch them out when they get munched on too much you can rotate them out and let the plants recover. This is a good time to shop as the big box stores will be getting the spring supplies. Just go to a Lowes or a Walmart and they will likely have all three plants at this time of year.

I especially like the "centerpiece-outward" theory presented in the Chameleon Academy link.
https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/

Be aware of each plants watering & light requirements; those requiring more light toward the top of the enclosure & vice versa.

I have a panther, so there's no munching there. OTOH, I also have a beardie, who not only munches, he's found many other (some unique?) ways of trampling, ripping out, and otherwise destroying plants, so yeah... we always have extras, and just this past week had to replace almost all of them. He even found a way to climb the back wall and rip the tillandsias right out of the rock.

Seasonal garden stores may also have leftovers from last season on clearance.

We usually buy plants a month ahead of time to allow for cleaning spray off, transplanting into new soil, and getting them established before installing.

There is not a best. Honestly I would go with what is available to you. Pathos and umbrella trees are very common, however veils do eat them. The palm or grassy plants don't get eaten so I use a combo. Another idea is to cycle plants through the enclosure. Meaning switch them out when they get munched on too much you can rotate them out and let the plants recover. This is a good time to shop as the big box stores will be getting the spring supplies. Just go to a Lowes or a Walmart and they will likely have all three plants at this time of year.
That is a good idea! Thank you for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom