Plants Alive! Challenge

DeremensisBlue

Chameleon Enthusiast
Site Sponsor
Plants alive 1x1.jpg

Those that listened to the season five opening episode know that I am putting a podcast theme for 2020 for us to level up our plant keep skills. I call it the Plants Alive! Challenge and invite you to join up if you would like to work on getting better at keeping plants alive. The only thing you need to do to be part of this is pick your plant challenge and post it here. We then will work on it through the year!

If you can’t keep anything alive then make your goal be to keep pothos alive. By the end of the year we’ll do our best to help you become a pothos gardener! If you have pothos down, but have a favorite plant you wish you could keep alive then pick that to focus on. Perhaps your goal could be to get a certain favorite plant to bloom? Whatever it is, post your goal and we will work on it over the year.

Specialty plant montage.jpg

To support this I am arranging a podcast episode on basic plant care and since Nepenthes pitcher plants have been, by FAR, the most popular plant choses for people’s goal I am working on bringing on a Nepenthes expert to help with that specifically.

So, that is what this post is about. If this sounds good to you then just post your goal. If you aren’t sure what goal to pick then we can help you select one! Or else, you can just sit back and watch it all happen. We will all learn everyone else’s goals as well. I look forward to being a much better chameleon cage gardener by the end of the year!

Here is the episode where I announce the challenge if you would like to listen in first:

So, I will go first. My personal goal is to be successful with Maiden Hair Fern. I can keep it alive, but just haven’t gotten it to the point where I think they are thriving. So, that is my goal for the year! I will be researching and experimenting with them in chameleon cages until I know them well enough that I can mentor a 2021 student in Maiden Hair excellence!

Here is the one I'm starting with.
Dragon Strand Hybrid internal plantscape 640.jpg

I have left the entire back of the cage open so I can raise or lower the fern if it tells me it needs more light. The right back corner is the heat lamp so I have to be careful not to get into the "corridor of heat and desiccation".

So, now it is time for me to do research on its favorite soil type, watering preferences, and what kind of fertilization it needs...and then what the signs of problems are and how to fix them. And I didn't do any of that beforehand because I want to go through the steps with the group. I think this would be a very fun thing to do!

Nepenthes madagascariensis (Nepthenes sp.)

I have other Neps, the SP. is a tough cookie! I am currently on my 4th attempt, just got it few weeks ago. The other 3, have ended in failure :(, at 60-75 per seedling its getting pricey!

My Current little guy. This is my first Clone from TC, my other attempts have been Seed grown.
IMG_20200308_123213.jpg

I have from some prior growers (Info scarce).

Adapted to a full Sphagunum media. I think my issue last two times, was not enough water and not enough light, and temps too low.

This one is planted near the basking area. In a branch planter, so higher temps, and a mister directs at it.

The black leaf marks, were there on arrival, and while concerning to me, I think they are just burns.

So far, it has thrown 3 new pitchers, and I have gave it's first feeding. (Bloodworm)

4th time is a charm? My goal is to get it to Survive, and Throw it's upper Picthers, (Flutes).
Nepenthes_madagascariensis_plants (1).jpg

Last edited:

I have other Neps, the SP. is a tough cookie! I am currently on my 4th attempt, just got it few weeks ago. The other 3, have ended in failure :(, at 60-75 per seedling its getting pricey!

My Current little guy. This is my first Clone from TC, my other attempts have been Seed grown.

Adapted to a full Sphagunum media. I think my issue last two times, was not enough water and not enough light, and temps too low.

This one is planted near the basking area. In a branch planter, so higher temps, and a mister directs at it.

The black leaf marks, were there on arrival, and while concerning to me, I think they are just burns.

So far, it has thrown 3 new pitchers, and I have gave it's first feeding. (Bloodworm)

4th time is a charm? My goal is to get it to Survive, and Throw it's upper Picthers, (Flutes).
You are going for the advanced level goal of working with plants from the native range of chameleons! We will definitely want to monitor your progress on this one.

Checklist item 1 in Keeping Plants Alive: Water

I’ll bring in experts to help us really dial in our plant skills, but I can cover one of the biggest killers of cage plants – dehydration. One thing that seems counterintuitive is when we look at our cage covered in water droplets from the misting we do every day and then our plants die. One thing to check off the top is whether any water is getting to the roots. Pothos is the biggest victim of this beaus they have such big leaves that are so beautiful at catching the mist! But they are so dense that the water does not necessarily make it to the soil. This is the main reason why a chameleon habitat can be perfectly healthy for chameleons, but deadly for plants. It may be that only the chameleon is getting a drink!

goldfish plant dry soil 640.jpg
Here is an example of a plant which has mist on its leaves every day, but the soil was dry. The plant was providing a drinking surface, but not getting any itself!

watering goldfish plant 640.jpg
The solution is a simple water can that I use a couple of times a week to water the plants in the cages. This is my Goldfish plant...notice the very cool yellow/orange bloom?

pothos dry soil 640.jpg
The biggest victim is poor Pothos - our favorite chameleon plant! Look at all that "dew" on the leaves and a parched root ball. Extra watering is definitely in order!

dripper 640.jpg
Sometimes with all the network branches in our cages it is difficult to reach the plants in back with a watering can. So a strategic placement of a dripper on top of the cage can reach those trouble areas. The slow drip is actually better for parched soil than the flow from a watering can. You can fill a dripper and put it above a different plant each day. That way you provide water for your chameleon and keep your cage green at the same time.

water squirt bottle 640.jpg
Another way to get at difficult plants is with a squirt bottle. This can go through branches or even a screen cage wall!

Conclusion: If you are having trouble keeping plants alive check the soil. Too dry and too wet are both problems. If it is too dry then the above solutions can be used. If too wet, then you'll have to move the plant, increase the drainage in the plant pot, or decrease the misting sessions. There aren't always easy solutions. If you need help with plants dying then this is the post to hang out at!

My other goal is to get my Maranta Prayer Plant to bloom. I have done it before, but it is so cool when plants are happy enough in your cage that they give flowers. And we can have as many personal goals as we want! If any one has a Prayer Plant, Spider Plant, Fittonia "nerve plant", Calathea, or any other plant that blooms then that is a great goal. (pothos produces a flower, but I wouldn't suggest going for that one. Rumor has it they have to be 30-40 feet long before blooming)

flowering plants.jpg

Blooms from within Chameleon cages from left to right: Fittonia (Nerve Plant), Spider Plant, Maranta (Prayer Plant), Goldfish Plant.

My Prayer Plant is happy enough to send up new leaves so blooming is the next milestone!
maranta 640.jpg

My other goal is to get my Maranta Prayer Plant to bloom. I have done it before, but it is so cool when plants are happy enough in your cage that they give flowers. And we can have as many personal goals as we want! If any one has a Prayer Plant, Spider Plant, Fittonia "nerve plant", Calathea, or any other plant that blooms then that is a great goal. (pothos produces a flower, but I wouldn't suggest going for that one. Rumor has it they have to be 30-40 feet long before blooming)

View attachment 260230
Blooms from within Chameleon cages from left to right: Fittonia (Nerve Plant), Spider Plant, Maranta (Prayer Plant), Goldfish Plant.

My Prayer Plant is happy enough to send up new leaves so blooming is the next milestone!
View attachment 260231

Thanks, Bill!

I’m definitely going to join this group once I have a goal in mind. I was thinking of starting a plant from a seed in one of my enclosures. I also have a vanilla bean orchid that I’ve considered putting in. It’s survived in the bathroom for the last year but hasn’t bloomed. I wonder if it’ll be happier in the cham enclosures since it’s a more humid environment.

Also, thought I’d add some photos of the watering device I use. Maybe it’ll help someone.
I use a compression garden sprayer. It’s similar to the squirt bottle you mentioned being that you can get to hard to reach places pretty effortlessly. The wand is attached to the reservoir with a 3’ hose. The wand itself if about 1.5’. Nozzle is adjustable which is wonderful. The spraying button locks so your thumb doesn’t get tired. I like that it has a shoulder strap so I can have it on one shoulder and pump the reservoir while I mist.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QTHHGZL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_4NwzEbNPMXN4Y

Attachments

• E43399B5-95AA-40D0-8891-A5969F7D8BC7.jpeg
    E43399B5-95AA-40D0-8891-A5969F7D8BC7.jpeg
    177.3 KB · Views: 147
  • 0CBCDEFE-03E8-45DE-911F-842E635A40B4.jpeg
    0CBCDEFE-03E8-45DE-911F-842E635A40B4.jpeg
    213.1 KB · Views: 143
  • C4D858D1-4ABA-47E7-86BC-16315AB335CD.jpeg
    C4D858D1-4ABA-47E7-86BC-16315AB335CD.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 151
My goal is to get my Pothos to thrive and keep other easy plants alive. This guy was positioned under my mist king rain dome. It definitely is alive but not thriving. It was getting too much water and not enough light.

I removed the overhead rain dome in lieu of just the nozzle in the cage and I have a quad fixture now.

Looking to add a spider plant, small ficus maybe a bromeliad? Going for the wall plants look overall.

Attachments

• 527F0E52-CFB4-4910-84C3-6C97F4441821.jpeg
    527F0E52-CFB4-4910-84C3-6C97F4441821.jpeg
    325.7 KB · Views: 188

View attachment 260219

View attachment 260220
Toooo coooool

This topic is very relevant for me right now! After just finishing Raistlin's new enclosure and creating a "living wall" of sorts, gone are the days of swapping out plants when they get tired. I may have to switch some around to ensure they are getting the lighting and water they need, but this will be fun...

1583772539022.png

Begonias and African Violets. The former is supposedly quite easy but I have never had any success with either in my chameleon enclosures. African Violets are native to the Usambara Mountains in Tanzania, home of several montane species, so they should theoretically make a good, colorful addition for a montane enclosure.

I have read that both begonias and African violets do not do well with frequent moisture on their leaves so this may the reason for my failures. Would love to hear others' experiences with these plants especially if and how they were able to achieve success.

This topic is very relevant for me right now! After just finishing Raistlin's new enclosure and creating a "living wall" of sorts, gone are the days of swapping out plants when they get tired. I may have to switch some around to ensure they are getting the lighting and water they need, but this will be fun...

View attachment 260282
Wow! You have quite the jungle going on in there! That is going to be one fun project!

My goal is to have epiphytes succeed in my enclosures. I have a Vanda Orchid that was in bad shape when I bought it... it's mounted on cork in Walt's cage and is not thriving, but not dead either. I also have 2 small pitcher plants mounted on cork with moss, directly under a mister and lights... and they're still drying up and shriveling. I've already killed 1... working on killing #2 and 3, apparently!

My goal is to have epiphytes succeed in my enclosures. I have a Vanda Orchid that was in bad shape when I bought it... it's mounted on cork in Walt's cage and is not thriving, but not dead either. I also have 2 small pitcher plants mounted on cork with moss, directly under a mister and lights... and they're still drying up and shriveling. I've already killed 1... working on killing #2 and 3, apparently!

Pitcher plants are not epiphytes, at least not like that. They need their roots in media, but their Vines will attach to walls.

Pitcher plants are not epiphytes, at least not like that. They need their roots in media, but their Vines will attach to walls.

They have a little bit of their soil around their roots, plus sphag moss, and then sheet moss over top to create a bucket. Clearly not enough, though! I'll have to repack it... maybe some of the soil washed out.

I will attempt a simple project I have a variety of Wandering Jew (Tradescantia Nanouk (Bubblegum)/ Fluminensis Lilac) in one of my outdoor cages where it does quite well. I want to try it indoors. I'm going to root some cuttings in water and paper toweling. I have a cage I'm revamping and I will try the cuttings in a few different levels of the cage to see where it grows best. Images of the project so far.
fullsizeoutput_2b.jpeg fullsizeoutput_2a.jpeg ae1Y0ObCTI6SiX0fDhq1mw.jpg

My biggest challenge was crickets eating the plants and the lizards themselves destroying them since they were active.

Chameleons seem to lend themselves to growing plants.

I have some strangler figs in the way, will keep you updated when the time is right.

Glad this was updated!

I got some news, kind of.

So far my N. madgascarencensis (probably didn't spell that right) is growing great.

The black spots on those leaves, are still there, but don't seem to be spreading so a burn from before I got it seems likely still. It doesn't seem to be spreading to other leaves, so while I am concerned, I try to not be it is however seemingly killing those old leaves, or those spots. Which is fine as long as it's a burn and not a infection.

Anyway, the pitchers have grown, nicely. Some larger pitchers have begun, and theg are starting to get their reds the lower pitchers will exhibit. So the plant seems to be doing well.

In this photo, you can see the bigger newer pitcher on the bottom center. This was the pitcher I fed, and boy it grew since then.

20200407_130423.jpg

You can see the sphagnum topper is doing pretty well too. As is the (I think its thread moss) that I added to there.

The pitcher in the back, thats getting ready to open, and I will feed the plant again, is the real star.

20200407_130434.jpg

Thats huge for this small seedling, its easily 3x the other pitchers. He must of liked the food, and wants MORE!

For those that are not experienced with Neps growing pitchers, that are correct sized and not deformed, means conditions are right. A poorly situated nep, can grow and survive, but will not pitcher. So this is a very very good sign. The fact there is also now 2 growth points instead of 1 is likely a good sign. That's a first thats happened for me, and the first time I have seen one of these do this, at this small size. (Photos, and growers are limited)

When it opens I will feed it another bloodworm, like the did the other large one a few weeks back, to help provide the plant with nutrients. Fingers crossed, so far so good! Good thing too, I was going broke killing seedlings!

I'll update again, when we see some major growth or Red pitchers. I wanted to throw this one up as I got a new phone (MUCH Better Camera!!). Also we are seeing good things.

Last edited:
I will attempt a simple project I have a variety of Wandering Jew (Tradescantia Nanouk (Bubblegum)/ Fluminensis Lilac) in one of my outdoor cages where it does quite well. I want to try it indoors. I'm going to root some cuttings in water and paper toweling. I have a cage I'm revamping and I will try the cuttings in a few different levels of the cage to see where it grows best. Images of the project so far.
View attachment 262831View attachment 262833View attachment 262834

I have wandering jew in a few cages, mostly use it in the quarantine cages because it grows so quickly I dont feel bad discarding it. I think it fills in and grows very well, and very quickly in the cham cages. Holds up well to the smaller chams, but havent placed it with larger chams

Back
Top Bottom