Plant suggestion?!

xxaprilrose

Established Member
I recently almost finished my 36x18x36 enclosure but after getting the plants in the mail I realized that most of the plants came way shorter than I had expected. There’s not any coverage for him to hide really. I’m looking to get a taller plant to help him feel secure so what would you suggest? The enclosure is bio active and yes I am aware I will need to upgrade. This is for my second male chameleon when I get him (don’t have him yet) oh also don’t mind the lighting it’s just there to help the plants. Like I said this is all still a work in progress
539ECD35-349B-44F7-80F0-1E692DAA6911.jpeg

I recently almost finished my 36x18x36 enclosure but after getting the plants in the mail I realized that most of the plants came way shorter than I had expected. There’s not any coverage for him to hide really. I’m looking to get a taller plant to help him feel secure so what would you suggest? The enclosure is bio active and yes I am aware I will need to upgrade. This is for my second male chameleon when I get him (don’t have him yet) oh also don’t mind the lighting it’s just there to help the plants. Like I said this is all still a work in progressView attachment 314028
A tiny draceana would be cool maybe a monstera.

Monstera is a good one but the grow super fast! It may out grow that cage pretty quickly. I also suggest any vining plants like Pothos or English ivy, I wrap the vines up around branches so mine can hide behind the leaves. I have a 4ft tall cage so I added an old locker stand to make some plants taller.

I would forgo the English Ivy for a veiled chameleon.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/english-ivy.62834/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/english-ivy.40363/
but feel free to explore the archives further.
I had one in with my panther, but took it out in favor of some safer choices.

Pothos, Philodendron vines, and Inch Plant are also fast-growing (mine all grow a foot per month).

Again, stick to the known safe lists.
https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/
https://caskabove.com/chameleon-safe-plants
https://www.madcham.de/en/pflanzen-fuers-terrarium/
https://www.chameleons.info/l/safe-and-unsafe-plants/

English Ivy appears on none of the above safe lists.

Last edited:
I recently almost finished my 36x18x36 enclosure but after getting the plants in the mail I realized that most of the plants came way shorter than I had expected. There’s not any coverage for him to hide really. I’m looking to get a taller plant to help him feel secure so what would you suggest? The enclosure is bio active and yes I am aware I will need to upgrade. This is for my second male chameleon when I get him (don’t have him yet) oh also don’t mind the lighting it’s just there to help the plants. Like I said this is all still a work in progressView attachment 314028
Maybe put in a rubber plant for some cover. Canna Lillies might do well in that environment and they’re pretty sturdy.

I recently almost finished my 36x18x36 enclosure but after getting the plants in the mail I realized that most of the plants came way shorter than I had expected. There’s not any coverage for him to hide really. I’m looking to get a taller plant to help him feel secure so what would you suggest?
Any of the 'center piece' plants on https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/
or the 'trees' on https://caskabove.com/chameleon-safe-plants

On the other two lists, you could look up potential height of any you're considering.

The enclosure is bio active and yes I am aware I will need to upgrade. This is for my second male chameleon when I get him (don’t have him yet) oh also don’t mind the lighting it’s just there to help the plants. Like I said this is all still a work in progress
If bushy enough but too short in a std. enclosure, I'd suggest this, but for a bioactive I think you pretty much need taller plants to begin with.

I'd look into growth rates to get a handle on how much pruning to expect, and how often.

Maybe put in a rubber plant for some cover. Canna Lillies might do well in that environment and they’re pretty sturdy.
Unless they're known by another name, I don't find Canna or canna lily on any of the safe lists.

The list you mentioned finding it on in another thread (from 2013) is reputed to be for cats & dogs only—not chameleons.

This is for my second male chameleon when I get him (don’t have him yet)
Species? Any risk is likely less for non-veileds, but that's up to you.

Unless they're known by another name, I don't find Canna or canna lily on any of the safe lists.

The list you mentioned finding it on in another thread (from 2013) is reputed to be for cats & dogs only—not chameleons.

Species? Any risk is likely less for non-veileds, but that's up to you.
It’s not on lists, but I’ve seen people use it and I use it with no problems. :) I know I’ll probably get attacked for that but it’s working for me so

It’s not on lists, but I’ve seen people use it and I use it with no problems. :) I know I’ll probably get attacked for that but it’s working for me so
Not by me. I share info/exp., but unless I see something definitely life-threatening... and even then it's up to the reader.

IMO it mostly depends on species and empirical data, and veileds are (generally) the only ones that chow down on their enclosure plants. A few others have been known to, but there are always outliers—can't seem to have a rule without exceptions. 🤪

Not by me. I share info/exp., but unless I see something definitely life-threatening... and even then it's up to the reader.

IMO it mostly depends on species and empirical data, and veileds are (generally) the only ones that chow down on their enclosure plants. A few others have been known to, but there are always outliers—can't seem to have a rule without exceptions. 🤪
Yeah I’ve got Canna and a Rubber in his cage. I’m going to go get more Cannas today, this place in my subdivision where they throw yard clippings… some cannas took and are huge lol I sound crazy but hey free tropical plants.

You Mortuary science geek with a goth (or is it emo) obsession who identifies as a basket case? BWAHAHAHAHA! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: But I guess it's a 'thang' [sic] now. Gawd, I feel old. :rolleyes:

View attachment 315534
Source: https://theloudhouse.fandom.com/wiki/Morticians_Club
1.) It’s actually Funeral Service & Mortuary Science. Funeral Service comes first because I’m more interested in the Service part.
2.) It’s not an obsession, it’s a calling. And for me personally it is a lifestyle. And it is Gothic… just not the ‘Emo’ or ‘Punk’ deal, but I like the color black, I like roll top desks, I like using oil lamps, I mainly wear dressy clothes that are typically navy, maroon or black. It’s a more vintage kind of Gothic. :) Watch the movie ‘Dead Poets Society’
3.) Casket Case was just a fun spin on Basket Case lol. I like Green Day, I’m kinda on the wild side and I love my calling.

And there’s a difference between Death Enthusiast and Death Industry Professionals.

I know... No offense—just busting your chops. ;)

1.) It’s actually Funeral Service & Mortuary Science. Funeral Service comes first because I’m more interested in the Service part.
When I was in school, it was just Mortuary Science—that included it all.
Making me feel old again! 🤦‍♂️

2.) It’s not an obsession, it’s a calling. And for me personally it is a lifestyle. And it is Gothic… just not the ‘Emo’ or ‘Punk’ deal, but I like the color black, I like roll top desks, I like using oil lamps, I mainly wear dressy clothes that are typically navy, maroon or black. It’s a more vintage kind of Gothic. :) Watch the movie ‘Dead Poets Society’
Seen it. The only time I took the wore all black was when I played poker. It (silently) psychologically intimidated a lot of opponents.

"Never play poker with someone called, "Doc" or with a city in their name." ;)

3.) Casket Case was just a fun spin on Basket Case lol. I like Green Day, I’m kinda on the wild side and I love my calling.
See first sentence.

And there’s a difference between Death Enthusiast and Death Industry Professionals.
I would HOPE so! :eek: :ROFLMAO: (Though I'd bet there's some overlap too... ☺️)

Seen it. The only time I took the wore all black was when I played poker. It (silently) psychologically intimidated a lot of opponents.

See first sentence.

I would HOPE so! :eek: :ROFLMAO: (Though I'd bet there's some overlap too... ☺️)
I know you were just joking lol.
In school? Where’d you hear of mortuary science in school? I never have. I’ve been blazing my own trail lol.
I like wearing black because it’s psychologically intimidating as well. Also it looks good on me lol. Black is my color.

Um.. everywhere? There was a big push because the Baby Boomer generation was maturing, and the schools hyped it as a 'growth industry'.

https://www.google.com/search?clien...of+colleges+offering+mortuary+science+degrees
Dang. Where I am nobody talks about it, no colleges come to talk about it. It’s closed off. In my town if you don’t want to be a nurse or engineer than you’re on your own. Never spoke to one school that offered courses in preparation for the National Board Exam (the test that gives oh licensure.)

See first sentence.

I LOVE poker

Back
Top Bottom