Plant Smells Bad

Probably an easy question, but I have a 10" umbrella plant that smells like a urinal after a month or so of being in the cage, and having been cleaned multiple times.

Anyone else notice their potted plants stink? Besides cleaning the top soil weekly, are there other solutions, observations, experiences out there with this?

Thanks!

‘Umbrella plant’ is a common name for several plants. Is it a schef? Sheffleras, especially their stems and roots have a spicy, herbal scent.

Probably an easy question, but I have a 10" umbrella plant that smells like a urinal after a month or so of being in the cage, and having been cleaned multiple times.

Anyone else notice their potted plants stink? Besides cleaning the top soil weekly, are there other solutions, observations, experiences out there with this?

Thanks!

Only when Im giving them to much water. Generally a urinal smell come from over watering. I get this mostly with my bromeliads, but occasionally my umbrella plants can smell bad if I screw up on the watering.

Only when Im giving them to much water. Generally a urinal smell come from over watering. I get this mostly with my bromeliads, but occasionally my umbrella plants can smell bad if I screw up on the watering.
This makes sense. I'm like a B-/C+ plant keeper, but this is the first plant I've ever just saturated with water constantly, being in the cage. I didn't know plants could start to smell from over watering. Good to know!

Here I would probably be trying to run water through the soil to get rid of the smell, lol, dodged that

How bad is that smell? How strong can it be?
I have a Sheflerra in each of my Chameleons cages. And it's very likely that they are indeed over watered.
I have a post called "A matter of smell" where I describe a smell that my wife smells, but I didn't at the time. But now do.
The smell is in the Chameleons room and the adjacent room.
Kind of a musty, ammonia smell.
But I've been going crazy trying to find it.
If I jam my face right in the Sheflerra, the smell doesn't get worse. But it's pretty strong!

How bad is that smell? How strong can it be?
I have a Sheflerra in each of my Chameleons cages. And it's very likely that they are indeed over watered.
I have a post called "A matter of smell" where I describe a smell that my wife smells, but I didn't at the time. But now do.
The smell is in the Chameleons room and the adjacent room.
Kind of a musty, ammonia smell.
But I've been going crazy trying to find it.
If I jam my face right in the Sheflerra, the smell doesn't get worse. But it's pretty strong!
Get within 10 inches of the plant's soil. It smelled like ammonia as you said, I think. Strong, stinging, like cat urine.

Last edited:
Every scheffelara died in my vivs no matter what I did, I haven't heard or seen any success story with this plant over a 4 month period

Every scheffelara died in my vivs no matter what I did, I haven't heard or seen any success story with this plant over a 4 month period
I am quarantining its replacement now lol. It did better in the 16x16x30 cage. Not so well in 24x24x48

Hoping it would do better in bioactive... maybe I'll have to find another tree-like plant. Does ficus do better?

The bigger the pot the better, add small to medium river rock to the bottom of the enclosure/pot then soil/mulch I mix in red earth, sand and Pete moss with the top soil being mostly fine Pete moss. Before adding the top soil/ Pete moss add worms. Red worms and earth worms then bury them. Go full bioactive by adding rolly pollies/ pill bugs and springtails. They clean and keep your plants healthy as well as the rest of your mini eco-system. Mine smell like wet dirt after a morning rain when I water but there is never any otherwise unpleasant smell. I add top soil(fine pete) when the soil breaks down. Most important is not to over water, mine have no drainage but the rocks at the bottom and sand mix in the middle help to keep the balance. I do water heavily twice a week so my chams stay hydrated then I allow for a dry time in which the Pete moss doubles as a hydrometer allowing me to Gage the moisture level- when the top 3 inches are dry I water again.tge fogger and lite hand misting don't add much moisture to the soil. Sounds like You either have a territorial feline or you have over watered and are smelling root rot. The rocks will help

I have several that have lived years. I admit, they do seem to struggle a bit in most vivs. None of mine have died though.
Mine are doing great also- despite my female veiled eating all the new leaves. She loves the baby leaves I call her weed wacker. If it wasn't for her landscaping the umbrella would have out grown her enclosure already. She eats the benjamina ficus also but seems to favor the umbrella. My male eats them just not as often and his ficus' s have reached the top of his enclosure and are now growing thru the top screen. I think I'll switch him out with weed wacker to help cut them down a bit so i dont have to, and hopefully the male will let her trees grow, we placed a avavodo nut as well as beans and peas in the males cage a few months ago and to our surprise the avocado has sprouted and is actually doing very well. The beans and peas shoot up, get eaten, then randomly shoot up again.

Mine are doing great also- despite my female veiled eating all the new leaves. She loves the baby leaves I call her weed wacker. If it wasn't for her landscaping the umbrella would have out grown her enclosure already. She eats the benjamina ficus also but seems to favor the umbrella. My male eats them just not as often and his ficus' s have reached the top of his enclosure and are now growing thru the top screen. I think I'll switch him out with weed wacker to help cut them down a bit so i dont have to, and hopefully the male will let her trees grow, we placed a avavodo nut as well as beans and peas in the males cage a few months ago and to our surprise the avocado has sprouted and is actually doing very well. The beans and peas shoot up, get eaten, then randomly shoot up again.

Oh wow that's pretty cool. An avocado tree would be a nice addition

Back
Top Bottom