Plant Recommendations

alara

Hello! So I need some plant recommendations for my veiled cham's cage. I've been going by the chameleon academy safe plant list as well as other lists I've seen on here. But my main thing is trying to find the right plants that are going to fill the cage up as much as possible so my veiled can hide and feel safe.

So far I have pothos, which I divided up into two pots towards the top of the cage. There's also two pots of prayer plants, towards the middle and bottom to provide some shade and hiding spots. And I have a money tree and two umbrella plants for centerpieces.

The first picture shows what I initially started with. And the second picture is what I have now. Keep in mind I do not have a green thumb, so a few of my plants died lol I had to take out the croton and one of the prayer plants. So now I need to fill in that right side with something else. I added in another type of prayer plant on the right side wall for now, but I'm think of switching it out for another pothos.

My pothos is growing really well and it's filling out the top pretty nicely. Just need something that will fill out the middle and bottom. Preferably something with color for visual appeal, but as long as it makes it full, it doesn't really matter too much lol

IMG_20210830_090715.jpg

Also I forgot to mention I use Ocean Forest organic potting soil and I have a moisture meter. My mister is not yet set up, so over watering shouldn't be an issue. If anything I think it's just my plant placement that might have caused a few of my plants to die if they ended up getting too much or too little light.

Welcome on here! Do you have any pics of your cutie for us to gush over? Something really branchy will help fill in that spot and add more pathways, like a lush schefflera arboricola, ficus benjamina, or China doll plant. Also, adding more and other types of branches (of multiple species and diameters), will help, too! The dowels look big from the picture (but I could be wrong), so mainly diameters most comfortable for your cham to grip will help lots! Do you have a plant light? If it's strong enough, you can get some cool plants that can usually only be outdoors!

Welcome on here! Do you have any pics of your cutie for us to gush over? Something really branchy will help fill in that spot and add more pathways, like a lush schefflera arboricola, ficus benjamina, or China doll plant. Also, adding more and other types of branches (of multiple species and diameters), will help, too! The dowels look big from the picture (but I could be wrong), so mainly diameters most comfortable for your cham to grip will help lots! Do you have a plant light? If it's strong enough, you can get some cool plants that can usually only be outdoors!
IMG_20210721_095643__01.jpg
IMG_20210728_192733__01.jpg

I would recommend replacing that ladder with a branch because the rope can rip out their nails
I already took it out 😊 this is a slightly older picture. As soon I started reading more info on here, I started making the correct changes 😊 Everything in his current enclosure came with a chameleon kit I believe. So that's why I'm trying to switch him over to a better enclosure. I got him from a coworker who could no longer keep him, so they just gave me everything that they had. Unfortunately most of it, shouldn't be used

I almost bought a china doll plant yesterday, but hesitated because I wasn't sure if it was veiled tested. It didn't say on the chameleon academy list.

I do have a plant light, it's a vivosun 6500k dual fixture that I got from Amazon and I also use it for my arcadia T5 6% linear UVB.

The dowels are about 3/8in in diameter. He seems to move around fine in them. I've seen him climb from each one without falling.

I almost bought a china doll plant yesterday, but hesitated because I wasn't sure if it was veiled tested. It didn't say on the chameleon academy list.

I do have a plant light, it's a vivosun 6500k dual fixture that I got from Amazon and I also use it for my arcadia T5 6% linear UVB.

The dowels are about 3/8in in diameter. He seems to move around fine in them. I've seen him climb from each one without falling.
Sorry, you're right! It is on The Chameleon Academy's plant list, but it isn't veiled tested.

Does each light place have its own reflector or is there one reflector that both bulbs are sharing? That plant light isn't strong enough to support outdoor plants in the cage, sadly.

Gotcha! They looked bigger because they're in the Chameleon Kit cage!

Sorry, you're right! It is on The Chameleon Academy's plant list, but it isn't veiled tested.

Does each light place have its own reflector or is there one reflector that both bulbs are sharing? That plant light isn't strong enough to support outdoor plants in the cage, sadly.

Gotcha! They looked bigger because they're in the Chameleon Kit cage!
Each light has individual reflectors. So since my light isn't strong enough, would that limit what type of plants I could get? Maybe stick to medium to low light plants?

Each light has individual reflectors. So since my light isn't strong enough, would that limit what type of plants I could get? Maybe stick to medium to low light plants?
All of the veiled-tested indoor ones, no outdoor ones

All of the veiled-tested indoor ones, no outdoor ones
I've been trying to find a wandering jew plant, but the only one I've been able to find is Tradescantia Pallida. Is this species still ok to use for a veiled or does it have to be tradescantia zebrina?

Back
Top Bottom