Plant question

I had Pothos in each of my cages. It has like absolutely NO lighting requirements. But I like the plants with branches best.
Using one also couldn't find a ficus but found a huge potho. Got my baby male Chameleon today. Very healthy and very thirsty lol. Trying find crickets or a feeder that's quarter itch in size. Haven't offered food yet. Would take a pic of him but is deep in the potho drinking water drips. Temps are 92-95 hope this is good for a baby cham.

Attachments

• IMG_20200103_102737605.jpg
    IMG_20200103_102737605.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 91
This is my 5 year old Cham smoke. Doing his usual basking and eating lol

Attachments

• IMG_20200103_110443582.jpg
    IMG_20200103_110443582.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 78
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Veiled chameleon male and 1day. Unsure on age
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Just once take a photo.
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Crickets and using calcium without d3 every feeding. With d3 and vitamins first and 15th of the month. Gut load crickets with water fluker orange cubes and powder.
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? 1st and 15th of month with both vitamins and d3 calcium rep cal brand.
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Yes drinks drips on leafs and using mistking for 30 seconds every hour.
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Haven't seen a stool yet.
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Got him from lllreptile

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen with plexiglass front door. 16' 16' 30'
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Heat lamp to be determined and zoomed t5 ho 10.0 bulb
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Basking 92-95 bottom 75 and using temp gun
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Haven't measured them
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Potho
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Corner of dining room away from other pets.
Location - Where are you geographically located? Illinois

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
Lighting and getting the Cham to eat beat way possible.

Attachments

• IMG_20200103_124734470.jpg
    IMG_20200103_124734470.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 80
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Veiled chameleon male and 1day. Unsure on age
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Just once take a photo.
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Crickets and using calcium without d3 every feeding. With d3 and vitamins first and 15th of the month. Gut load crickets with water fluker orange cubes and powder.
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? 1st and 15th of month with both vitamins and d3 calcium rep cal brand.
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Yes drinks drips on leafs and using mistking for 30 seconds every hour.
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Haven't seen a stool yet.
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Got him from lllreptile

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen with plexiglass front door. 16' 16' 30'
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Heat lamp to be determined and zoomed t5 ho 10.0 bulb
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Basking 92-95 bottom 75 and using temp gun
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Haven't measured them
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Potho
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Corner of dining room away from other pets.
Location - Where are you geographically located? Illinois

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
Lighting and getting the Cham to eat beat way possible.

Gutload: the orange cubes you are using are not appropriate for chameleon's. They are nutritionally useless and will not provide a growing chameleon the nutrients it needs. It would be better to switch to fresh produce or a respected brand of pre-made gutload like Cricket Crack which is made with the animal's health in mind

Supplements: you will need to be dusting with a multivitamin twice a month in addition to your calcium schedule

Misting: 30 seconds is not a long time, especially in screen. Doing fewer but longer misting sessions (2+ minutes each) is a better idea

Lights: your basking temp is way too hot. It should be no higher than 85F

Cage: Will need to be upgraded in several months

Humidity: this is a critical aspect of your husbandry which you are ignoring. A reliable hygrometer is indispensable in chameleon husbandry and non-optional.

Please post a photo of the entire cage. It looks very sparse.

Your cham doesn't look more than a few months old. What a cutie! Are you sure it's a male? Pictures of the back feet can help confirm.

I agree with Syreptyon's response.

Here is a great video on gutloading. Covers how to gutload, how often, what to use and what not to use.

I like to mist twice a day for 3-5 minutes. But it really depends on your chameleon's drinking response and humidity levels.

Your cham doesn't look more than a few months old. What a cutie! Are you sure it's a male? Pictures of the back feet can help confirm.

I agree with Syreptyon's response.

Here is a great video on gutloading. Covers how to gutload, how often, what to use and what not to use.

I like to mist twice a day for 3-5 minutes. But it really depends on your chameleon's drinking response and humidity levels.

I'm sure it's a male can see the spore on back feet. Just hard take a photo at the moment. Been hiding out and just got him few hours ago.

Attachments

• IMG_20200103_110217525.jpg
    IMG_20200103_110217525.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 88
Gutload: the orange cubes you are using are not appropriate for chameleon's. They are nutritionally useless and will not provide a growing chameleon the nutrients it needs. It would be better to switch to fresh produce or a respected brand of pre-made gutload like Cricket Crack which is made with the animal's health in mind

Supplements: you will need to be dusting with a multivitamin twice a month in addition to your calcium schedule

Misting: 30 seconds is not a long time, especially in screen. Doing fewer but longer misting sessions (2+ minutes each) is a better idea

Lights: your basking temp is way too hot. It should be no higher than 85F

Cage: Will need to be upgraded in several months

Humidity: this is a critical aspect of your husbandry which you are ignoring. A reliable hygrometer is indispensable in chameleon husbandry and non-optional.

Please post a photo of the entire cage. It looks very sparse.
What are good produce to use for gut loading. Have collard greens and squash. Herpivite is a good multi vitamin right? Thank you on basking spot. I'll try a 60 watt take temps again. I have a 18' 18' 36' cage on hand. But think that's minimum for females. Another one of my buying mistakes.

Attachments

• IMG_20200103_145325810.jpg
    IMG_20200103_145325810.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 84
The video I posted tells you what to use for gutload.

Good ingredients to use for gutloading: mustard greens, turnip greens, dandelion leaves, collard greens, escarole lettuce, papaya, watercress and alfalfa

Sort of good things to use for gutloading: sweet potato, carrots, oranges, mango, butternut squash, kale, apples, beet greens, blackberries, bok choy and green beans

Dry ingredients to use: bee pollen, organic non-salted sunflower seeds, spirulina, dried seaweed, flax seed and organic non-salted almonds

Bad things to use for gutloading: potatoes, cabbage, iceberg lettuce, romaine lettuce, spinach, broccoli, tomatoes, corn, grains, beans, oats, bread, cereal, meat, eggs, dog food, cat food, fish food, canned or dead insects, and vertebrates

Foods to boost immune health: Bee pollen, Cantaloupe, Carrots, Green Peppers, Kale, Mangoes, Turnip Greens, Mustard Greens, Collard Greens, Oranges, Nectarines, Tangerines, Peaches, Pink Grapefruit, Pumpkin, Squash, Sweet Potato, Berries, Apples, Nuts, and Watermelon

Foods to aid with nerve and eye health: whole grains, dark leafy greens, flax seed, almonds, and Brazil nuts

--------------------------

I personally use Reptivite without D3 for my multivitamin. There are mixed feelings on Herptivite. You're correct in that an 18x18x36 is what is recommended for a female. 24x24x48 is what is recommended for a male.

The zoomed humidity gauge would work. You'll be paying more because it says reptile on it. If you just look up hygrometer, you can find them much cheaper at places like Target, Walmart, and Amazon.

The video I posted tells you what to use for gutload.

Good ingredients to use for gutloading: mustard greens, turnip greens, dandelion leaves, collard greens, escarole lettuce, papaya, watercress and alfalfa

Sort of good things to use for gutloading: sweet potato, carrots, oranges, mango, butternut squash, kale, apples, beet greens, blackberries, bok choy and green beans

Dry ingredients to use: bee pollen, organic non-salted sunflower seeds, spirulina, dried seaweed, flax seed and organic non-salted almonds

Bad things to use for gutloading: potatoes, cabbage, iceberg lettuce, romaine lettuce, spinach, broccoli, tomatoes, corn, grains, beans, oats, bread, cereal, meat, eggs, dog food, cat food, fish food, canned or dead insects, and vertebrates

Foods to boost immune health: Bee pollen, Cantaloupe, Carrots, Green Peppers, Kale, Mangoes, Turnip Greens, Mustard Greens, Collard Greens, Oranges, Nectarines, Tangerines, Peaches, Pink Grapefruit, Pumpkin, Squash, Sweet Potato, Berries, Apples, Nuts, and Watermelon

Foods to aid with nerve and eye health: whole grains, dark leafy greens, flax seed, almonds, and Brazil nuts

--------------------------

I personally use Reptivite without D3 for my multivitamin. There are mixed feelings on Herptivite. You're correct in that an 18x18x36 is what is recommended for a female. 24x24x48 is what is recommended for a male.

The zoomed humidity gauge would work. You'll be paying more because it says reptile on it. If you just look up hygrometer, you can find them much cheaper at places like Target, Walmart, and Amazon.
Using a digital hygrometer and getting a reading of 40-50 and it goes over 50 after misting happens. Any suggestions on recommend levels. Also mounted it in middle of the enclosure. Sticky things do not stick well to mesh lol.

Back
Top Bottom