Plant Placement. First Enclosure

Hi!

I am setting up my Chams enclosure, and I wanted input. This is where I have hung my plants, what do you think of the placement? The enclosure isn't done, and his branches and other things aren't attached. The only thing I have done is the plant Placement. I left the bottom more bare because I wanted to be able to see his poop easily. Is this enough plants?

Attachments

• 20200428_225403.jpg
    20200428_225403.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 151
Hi!

I am setting up my Chams enclosure, and I wanted input. This is where I have hung my plants, what do you think of the placement? The enclosure isn't done, and his branches and other things aren't attached. The only thing I have done is the plant Placement. I left the bottom more bare because I wanted to be able to see his poop easily. Is this enough plants?
I see you have dragon ledges. To take full advantage of them it’s best to secure branches or larger sticks vertically to them...then you have a sturdy framework to attach almost anything anywhere.
This is the clearest pic I have of how I used my ledges. The driftwood piece and manzanita are heavy, but the ledges with the dowel framework I attached hold it so very well. You can also see how I attached my plants. I attached an empty pot that I can slip in any plant in same type of pot in/out.
2FD18F4A-148B-43ED-84BE-E6C097763D87.jpeg

I see you have dragon ledges. To take full advantage of them it’s best to secure branches or larger sticks vertically to them...then you have a sturdy framework to attach almost anything anywhere.
This is the clearest pic I have of how I used my ledges. The driftwood piece and manzanita are heavy, but the ledges with the dowel framework I attached hold it so very well. You can also see how I attached my plants. I attached an empty pot that I can slip in any plant in same type of pot in/out.
View attachment 264997
Ohhhhh so you don't attach the plants to the dragon ledges?

View attachment 264997

What did you use to attach the pots to the dowels? It's a bit hard for me to tell.

I've got some dragon strands headed my way soon and plan on trying to suspend my pothos and maybe umbrella too (18x18x36 so my umbrella reaches fairly high in the cage, but have thought about raising it since my cham likes to hide behind leaves at the top of his enclosure)

Last edited:
I think it looks good overall, just some minor fine tuning with branches to make sure your chameleon can both bask and hide. Bill Strand has a good article on branch/plant placement.

A word about pothos that I didn't learn until fairly recently but might be helpful - Pothos can grow upwards if attached to branches via twist ties (and will eventually root into them), or drape down as loose vines if the pot is suspended. When it grows up the leaves will become progressively bigger, if it drapes down they will be smaller. Neither is right or wrong, just depends what you want from the plant. The post above shows the draping growth pattern.

Below is an upwards growth pattern I saw when I was in the Dominican Republic (taken to extremes beyond what you would do in a vivarium).

What did you use to attach the pots to the dowels? It's a bit hard for me to tell.

I've got some dragon strands headed my way soon and plan on trying to suspend my pothos and maybe umbrella too (18x18x36 so my umbrella reaches fairly high in the cage, but have thought about raising it since my cham likes to hide behind leaves at the top of his enclosure)
I drilled a couple of holes in the top side of the pots and attached with zip ties. I took advantage of the larger pieces of wood to have the base of the pot kind of sit and be stabilized to be more level. I believe there is a video on dragon strand on how to do this.

Okay guys, I scratched the whole cage ??? I have got all but three branches in and vines, and I still have four more plants to put in. I decided to attach the branches to the ledges with zip ties, and then attach the plants to the branches. I'm already loving it a whole lot more and I'm not even done!

Attachments

• 20200430_013430.jpg
    20200430_013430.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 95
I think it looks good overall, just some minor fine tuning with branches to make sure your chameleon can both bask and hide. Bill Strand has a good article on branch/plant placement.

A word about pothos that I didn't learn until fairly recently but might be helpful - Pothos can grow upwards if attached to branches via twist ties (and will eventually root into them), or drape down as loose vines if the pot is suspended. When it grows up the leaves will become progressively bigger, if it drapes down they will be smaller. Neither is right or wrong, just depends what you want from the plant. The post above shows the draping growth pattern.

Below is an upwards growth pattern I saw when I was in the Dominican Republic (taken to extremes beyond what you would do in a vivarium).

Those are beautiful!!! Thank you!

So I wouldn't do what I did the first time. I went and took a ton of branches off a dead tree with a hand saw. Then I used a sander to sand the rough spots off and popped them in the oven on 250 for two hours. Once they were done I attached the big ones vertically to my ledges with UV safe zip ties. Then, I attached the small ones horizontally, and a few diagonally. Once most branches were in I got 2 of the same plastic pots for each of my plants. With one of the empty plastic pots I drilled a few holes and attached it to the vertical branches with zip ties, and then once placed I got my second plastic pot with my plant in it, and popped it into the container.

Okay guys, I scratched the whole cage ??? I have got all but three branches in and vines, and I still have four more plants to put in. I decided to attach the branches to the ledges with zip ties, and then attach the plants to the branches. I'm already loving it a whole lot more and I'm not even done!
Looking great! You’ll be having a happy cham! :)

Back
Top Bottom