Plant light

Alozz25

Is it normal when I turn the plant light on my 3 month old panther chameleon goes straight to it? Sits under it. It’s a 36 watt sansi led grow light

Is it normal when I turn the plant light on my 3 month old panther chameleon goes straight to it? Sits under it. It’s a 36 watt sansi led grow light
Mine does the same thing. I'm just guessing, but it may be instinctive/hard-wired. I have a basking light set up at the right distance & temp., but he likes the treetops under the 70W Sansi plant lights.

Is it normal whenever he’s basking to seem kinda heat drunk 😂 idk how else to put it. Kinda sprawled out on branch. The temp is at 82 but whenever he’s under it, sometimes his legs are straight out like in pic. I just want to make sure everything is good

Attachments

• 04225D4F-F474-4FEA-8D99-700F78F21D0C.jpeg
    04225D4F-F474-4FEA-8D99-700F78F21D0C.jpeg
    342 KB · Views: 91
My baby panther has been basking in a similar position, splaying out to the side. My prior adult veiled would bask and lean to the side. I believe this is normal basking behavior to soak in heat.

I wonder if it would be helpful to add another support branch where his dangling leg is? I’m a fan of “double branching” in the basking area to give multiple comfort options.

Question would be, does your plant light come on before or after your other lighting? Is he under the plant light specifically?

It could be very helpful for the more experienced keepers to give advice if you posted a picture that shows your whole lighting system.

I´ve noticed the same behaviour in the beginning, because of the very bright light (normally 6500K), they instinctively see it as their heat source. However within a couple of days they know which light they need, my cham never sits longer then 30-60 minutes under the same light / spot and she even moves outside the reach of lightning.
Ps. these are only my observations with my cham, every chameleon is different.

Is it normal whenever he’s basking to seem kinda heat drunk 😂 idk how else to put it. Kinda sprawled out on branch. The temp is at 82 but whenever he’s under it, sometimes his legs are straight out like in pic. I just want to make sure everything is good
Just increasing surface area.

My baby panther has been basking in a similar position, splaying out to the side. My prior adult veiled would bask and lean to the side.
Ditto.

Bearded dragons are known for "pancaking"—flattening their bodies out to absorb more heat from a source (the sun) above, and from a heated surface (rock, etc.) below. When they've absorbed the heat out of one area, they'll move over to another area to absorb the heat there. Note the legs sprawled out as well.

1617021365427.png

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/BeardedDragons/comments/j4ao2s/just_pancaking/

The leg sprawling is common among some species as well (notably bearded dragons and iguanas, but others too.) This is sometimes called, "sexy legs".

Pancaking and Sexy Legs
1617021939614.png

Source: Facebook.com

We've observed these behaviors in both our lizards. Coming from the '60s & '70s, we call it, "Letting It All Hang Out". :p

I´ve noticed the same behaviour in the beginning, because of the very bright light (normally 6500K), they instinctively see it as their heat source. However within a couple of days they know which light they need, my cham never sits longer then 30-60 minutes under the same light / spot and she even moves outside the reach of lightning.
Ps. these are only my observations with my cham, every chameleon is different.
Thank you. When do you turn your plant light on and for how long

Thank you. When do you turn your plant light on and for how long
That’s the first light which switching on at 06:30am and also last one switching off at 7:30pm. From 07:00am till 07:00pm the basking and UVB lights are on. It gives them half an hour to get to their favorite sleeping spot. And also an hour in morning to spot the water drops on the leaves, the led lights are really reflective on the water drops and at 06:15am that’s last misting session until 07:15pm

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom