Plant help pLeZz

Replife

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hi guys I'm new to chameleons just got my vailed 2 months ago and have lurned that live plants can be very beneficial to them so I went to Petco and bought one of every nontoxic Verity they had brought them home and googled them just to be safe and one of the plants (mother-in-laws tongue) also can be called (snake plant) has mixed reviews so if some one can say for sure to leave this one in the window or go ahead and put it in the cage I would greatly appreciate it

The plant will be of no benefit for your veiled chameleon at all. The leaf structure will not hold moisture and it is also not beneficial in regards to climbing/perching.

Since veiled chameleons are notorious plant eaters/nibblers, go with schefflera arboricola. This plant will be advantageous in both aspects mentioned above.

P.S. - don't waste your money at Petco. Their plants are tiny and over priced.

The plant will be of no benefit for your veiled chameleon at all. The leaf structure will not hold moisture and it is also not beneficial in regards to climbing/perching.

Since veiled chameleons are notorious plant eaters/nibblers, go with schefflera arboricola. This plant will be advantageous in both aspects mentioned above.

Think you for your helpful input

This may be a silly question but I was also wondering if I should use fertilizer and if so wat would be the best in regards to the cham

No, you do not want to use fertilizers. Plants, like schefflera, are species that do well with low light conditions and can handle the abuse of non green thumbs fairly well. So, besides the fertilizer potentially having negative effects on the chameleon, the plant will not need it. A good nutrient soil is all it will need.

No, you do not want to use fertilizers. Plants, like schefflera, are species that do well with low light conditions and can handle the abuse of non green thumbs fairly well. So, besides the fertilizer potentially having negative effects on the chameleon, the plant will not need it. A good nutrient soil is all it will need.
Is there a particular brand of soil you use and again sorry for the silly questions I have many different reptiles but only one with a real tree lol

Is there a particular brand of soil you use and again sorry for the silly questions I have many different reptiles but only one with a real tree lol

No need to apologize. I'm glad you are trying to do it right.

So there are many options. You can really use whatever brand of potting soil you want as long as you cover the top layer so your chameleon can't get to it. Like said above, this can be achieved with a layer of nice sized stones.

All of my enclosures are fully planted with bioactive substrates, so I use an organic soil as the base. But for those who use enclosures with a bare bottom and simply place potted plants inside, there is really no need to be super picky. Any potting soil will do.

The most important thing is to make sure your drainage is effective. Soggy, anaerobic conditions will kill your plant and make for some nasty smells.

Yes I built him a 2foot deep by 2 1/2foot wide by 4 foot tall enclosure I covered the bottom in floor vinal and put a bath tub type drain in the bottom I have a UvB bulb on top and heat bulb also it's filled with vines foliage and decorative things from a pet store we feed him gut loaded crickets that I sprinkle with calcium twice a week and reptile vitamins twice a week but on the opposite day we have not had luck with collard greens or mustard greens but he is only something like 3 months old pretty much the only fruit he will eat is banana also he likes to hiss and snap at me when I go to get him out of the cage but once I get him out he is fine is this normal lol I figured I'd go ahead and tell you everything you're doing and anywhere you see room for improvement or structural criticism I would appreciate it

I'm not sure where your putting his greens but I do find with my baby girl she likes it held , but not to close . She want to come get it from me . If I leave it in her Feeder she gets mad puffs up rips it up and throws to the bottom .

Yes I built him a 2foot deep by 2 1/2foot wide by 4 foot tall enclosure I covered the bottom in floor vinal and put a bath tub type drain in the bottom I have a UvB bulb on top and heat bulb also it's filled with vines foliage and decorative things from a pet store we feed him gut loaded crickets that I sprinkle with calcium twice a week and reptile vitamins twice a week but on the opposite day we have not had luck with collard greens or mustard greens but he is only something like 3 months old pretty much the only fruit he will eat is banana also he likes to hiss and snap at me when I go to get him out of the cage but once I get him out he is fine is this normal lol I figured I'd go ahead and tell you everything you're doing and anywhere you see room for improvement or structural criticism I would appreciate it
You want to use calcium without D3 every day . Your calcium with D3 should only be twice a month along with your multivitamin twice a month .
You want to use calcium without D3 every day . Your calcium with D3 should only be twice a month along with your multivitamin twice a month .
So I have Hurd this b4 but I can't find any without d3 I have looked at PetSmart petco and Walmart any suggestions?

Lol mine won't let me hand feed him nothing but crickets and after the first one he won't eat anymore off my had but will eat as many as I put in his cage I figured it was a age thing

Yeah cant here either . Not sure where your from . Silk worms to I can't get here have to order . We go through a bit . We have 2 bearded dragons , a gecko , and my baby Francis . We go through a lot .

OK I'll try that also thinks any tips are much appreciated but on a side note I noticed with other replies I have they seem to be glad to see me hear me and spend time out of there cage with me but my cham just seems pissed until I put him back like he is very hissy and snappy when I'm trying to get him out of his enclosure but stops that when I get him out but still takes every opportunity to put distance between us lol

Were from South Carolina we have one bearded dragon, water dragon, 2 leopard gecko Savannah monitor,bald Python, emerald Python,tokay gecko and now a vailed cham

You have a full house to . Just be patient with your Cham . They don't really like to be held . They learn to tolerate it . My Francis she likes to do what she wants . If I try to force anything it will end in a bit . Let him come to you in his time . It's all about the trust .

Indeed lol but thinks for all the input I'll for sure be patient and if he don't wanna love me that's cool I'll still love him lol

Back
Top Bottom