Places to get Isopods

Discussion in 'Chameleon Food' started by CJ's Exotics, Mar 13, 2018.

1. CJ's Exotics

CJ's Exotics Chameleon Enthusiast

Hello! Today is where I am in search for info, I have been busy in my reptile room. Where are some of the best places to get Isopods for good prices, and the company/person is reliable? Thank you!

2. Virgil1972

Virgil1972 Avid Member

I think @Andee might sell some.

CJ's Exotics likes this.
  3. d3s5

d3s5 Avid Member

CJ's Exotics likes this.
  4. Andee

Andee Chameleon Enthusiast

I have been SUMMONED, what's going on peeps ^w^! Cj it depends on what isopods you are looking for. I only have one species currently but will be getting a rare commodity soon if my plans don't fall through.

NorCalAnthony and CJ's Exotics like this.
  5. Virgil1972

Virgil1972 Avid Member

Don't make me a liar. :)

6. Andee

I still have my Giant Canyon Isopods, but I am looking for a very special species, I don't do dwarf species.

7. CJ's Exotics

Yeah, that would be rude! :ROFLMAO:

8. CJ's Exotics

You should do Montenegro's, I think that is what they are called.

9. Andee

They are found by a lot of suppliers. And don't make good cleaner crew from what I've read, so it would be a purely love of the species. But they aren't cheap ever. So I would have to start with a super tiny colony.

CJ's Exotics likes this.
  10. Andee

My next inverts on my list are orchids and shield mantids, us giant beetle species and some scarabs I think, and also some flat millipede species.

CJ's Exotics likes this.
  11. CJ's Exotics

They just look cool!:D

12. GregJD

GregJD Member

I saw this post now I am wondering: what do you use them to clean? I bought some beetles from the same I ordered my GBR to clean them. Do I need them for my dubia colony?

I always walk by the pet bugs at reptile shows and stare. They are so fascinating.

13. Andee

Isopods are a cleaner crew for substrate enclosures. Beetles the ones I am getting are not going to be a cleaner crew. They will be large scarab beetles and giant species of stag beetles. Isopods are fun to add to tanks as cleaner crew but for me personally I havent found a species I get much enjoyment in just keeping. However I do like pillmillipedes. But you can't easily get them in captivity. I would need massive permits.

CJ's Exotics, GregJD and Syreptyon like this.
  14. jalli

jalli Member

got mine from NEherp they currently only have 1 species available, but have listingsfor 4 different kinds. family run business n they even let me know that they had all been sick and that they were delayed a little. good spring tails too. think it was 8.99 for an isopod starter culture.

15. Andee

Sick isos? There are three things they get sick with and two of which would cause a culling of the entire colony.

CJ's Exotics likes this.
  16. Syreptyon

Syreptyon Avid Member

Nope, it's actually the employees that got sick, not the isopods :p

I had my order from them delayed for well over a week now. Waiting to hear an update

CJ's Exotics, jalli and Andee like this.
  17. Andee

Oh Ok! Yay for misunderstandings lol

CJ's Exotics likes this.
  18. jalli

jalli Member

Lol yeah sorry I didn't specify that

Andee and CJ's Exotics like this.
  19. Andee

Well I am probably the only person who got confused by that. lol There's like 2 deadly diseases that isopods get I fear my colonies getting.

CJ's Exotics likes this.