Pitfall trap.

Well, the trap works like a charm:D I catch mostly small wolf spiders in it but get some beetles and pill bugs too. Now that it keeps getting warmer and warmer there are more and more bugs dropping into it. It started out with 3 or so spiders a day going into it and now Im getting at least ten and Ive hit the mother load today!! At least 20 of the little spiders in there!!!

That's cool. How do you know which kind of bugs you can feed? I didn't know you could feed spiders, especially big hairy ones lol:eek:

That's cool. How do you know which kind of bugs you can feed? I didn't know you could feed spiders, especially big hairy ones lol:eek:

If I find something I do not know if it is poisonous or if it eats toxic plants I just search google until I identify the bug and then Wiki it. All of my chams love spiders!! I feed any type besides brown recluse and black widows for the obvious reasons. Although, Ive read accounts of chams eating those too. Im just not going to go trying to catch them:D I also feed different species of hoppers but not lubbers, moths, non poisonous butterflies and beetles.

Hehe:D Just be sure you collect feeders from a pesticide free area. If you are not sure you can hold onto the insects for 3 or more days. If they are not dead after that then they should be safe. Watch for bright colored bugs and just be sure you know what you are feeding off. Some are against feeding WC bugs because of parasites although they can get them just as easy from commercial feeders too. The benefits outweigh the risks by far in my opinion:)

Thanks for posting this!

I'm going to try this!

No problem!!!:D

I cant emphasize enough. If one does not know the risks and proper ways to feed WC feeders please search it. Dont just go throwing anything into the cage if you do not know what it is or if you do not know its from a pesticide free area!!!!

I'm doing this simply for the fun. I wonder whats walking around in my vegetable garden. Just curious, what exactly are these benefits that outway pesticides, parasites and invasive bacteria?

I'm doing this simply for the fun. I wonder whats walking around in my vegetable garden. Just curious, what exactly are these benefits that outway pesticides, parasites and invasive bacteria?

You should be sure to collect in a pesticide free area. Nothing outweighs the risk of pumping your cham full of pesticides.

Nutritional and variety benefits outweigh the other risks. You also run a risk of your cham getting parasites and invasive bacteria from commercial sources.

You know what works well for me. A black light and a white sheet. Set it up right before dark, wait a couple of hours and boom. Tons of insects! Soo many different fly and moth species, roaches, beetles galore, house geckos (stealing my bugs of coarse) you name it.

You know what works well for me. A black light and a white sheet. Set it up right before dark, wait a couple of hours and boom. Tons of insects! Soo many different fly and moth species, roaches, beetles galore, house geckos (stealing my bugs of coarse) you name it.

Im going to set up a nice light trap here soon!! Thats a good idea though!! You should post some pics:)

Will do! Its been a while since I've set it up. Down to only two chams and my other herps dont really eat flying critters. But I will still set it up and show you what I get. Just give me a few days to a week. Hopefully my cheesey camera will let me take some night photos.

Nice Jared, Nice!!!! Did you hear what FedEx did to my male Tav?:eek: I was livid, but they gave me a full refund even though they didn't technically have to. Still doesn't make me feel better about my perfect tav. :(

Wow I havent thought about a black light trap for yrs! That brings back memories. I'm gonna have to set one up also. Last time I went collectng I got intoa boatload of poison ivy. :eek: My arms were itching for a week. So my guys have been getting commercial feeders lately.

Wow I havent thought about a black light trap for yrs! That brings back memories. I'm gonna have to set one up also. Last time I went collectng I got intoa boatload of poison ivy. :eek: My arms were itching for a week. So my guys have been getting commercial feeders lately.

I know your pain!!! I get that crap so easily and very bad every time:mad:

Tom, I did hear about the boy. That is such a shame:( Mishaps happen but even if its a mistake or not ones fault it doesnt make it easier. Good thing is those females should be breeding now or soon. Lets hope for great success with them!!

Back
Top Bottom