Pinworms

Retested today and he still has pin worms. Did another treatment today. Thinking about ditching all the dirt.

Retested today and he still has pin worms. Did another treatment today. Thinking about ditching all the dirt.
Sorry to hear that. This is why removing the plants and branches and washing them down is recommended. Otherwise there could be oocysts on them and then they go and lick those areas and pick it right back up. Cycle starts over again. :cry:

OP pinworms can still excrete previous eggs after treatment for a little while. How recently after medicating did you fecal check? Definitely possible that he’s reinfected, but could still have hope. Where are your feeders from? Maybe your source has a pinworm outbreak?

Personally, I would just put a new top layer down and treat for pinworms. They are common and crickets are probably more likely to reintroduce pinworms than your soil.

I like to put a 2” layer of zoomed’s ecoearth on top of soil, and then the leaf litter. It is inexpensive and very fine. Drains well, too.

Personally, I would just put a new top layer down and treat for pinworms. They are common and crickets are probably more likely to reintroduce pinworms than your soil.

I like to put a 2” layer of zoomed’s ecoearth on top of soil, and then the leaf litter. It is inexpensive and very fine. Drains well, too.
Was thinking the same. I’d imagine many pet store crickets or any that come in contact with other animals, have a good chance of carrying pinworms. I wonder how many reptiles have them without their owners every knowing lol.

Was thinking the same. I’d imagine many pet store crickets or any that come in contact with other animals, have a good chance of carrying pinworms. I wonder how many reptiles have them without their owners every knowing lol.
Beman had them... I had no clue. And I am pretty sure they came in on the insects I got from the petstore.

Beman had them... I had no clue. And I am pretty sure they came in on the insects I got from the petstore.
Yeah it seems a lot of my Cham friends have had similar experiences. Of all the parasites you could deal with in an animal, pinworms are probably the chillest lol

Yeah it seems a lot of my Cham friends have had similar experiences. Of all the parasites you could deal with in an animal, pinworms are probably the chillest lol
Honestly the way my vet explained it to me was unless they are in extremely high numbers or causing issues for the cham like lack of appetite or sluggishness she did not believe in treating for them. I chose to treat Beman only because I was already dealing with the other parasite issue you know about and it was preventative in case Beman contracted the other parasite. She agreed with me on treating more as a preventative of not wanting to treat for two things and or having one impact him and then contracting the second taking him down.

Worked my ass off getting all the dirt and all the plants out. The cage has been cleaned, the palm has been scrubbed, I got a new tree that is a little too large but it's ok. Set up some pvc to put a hanging plant in there, it's still draining though. He wondered around my room while watching us tear down his home and build a new one. These worms better be history!

Attachments

• 20220630_181840.jpg
    20220630_181840.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 43
Worked my ass off getting all the dirt and all the plants out. The cage has been cleaned, the palm has been scrubbed, I got a new tree that is a little too large but it's ok. Set up some pvc to put a hanging plant in there, it's still draining though. He wondered around my room while watching us tear down his home and build a new one. These worms better be history!
Take a look at the replacement trays that go in dog crates... They would fit under that cage. Then you don't have water run off and can pull the towel.

OP pinworms can still excrete previous eggs after treatment for a little while. How recently after medicating did you fecal check? Definitely possible that he’s reinfected, but could still have hope. Where are your feeders from? Maybe your source has a pinworm outbreak?
Crickets from petsmart and Dubia roaches from an independent seller called TC insects. He was tested 4 weeks after treatment. We're testing in 3 weeks now.

Crickets from petsmart and Dubia roaches from an independent seller called TC insects. He was tested 4 weeks after treatment. We're testing in 3 weeks now.
The pinworms could be from Petsmart. I'd get crickets from Ghann's, they're amazing, extremely healthy, with rarely any dead during or right after shipping! I LOVE TC Insects!

Honestly the way my vet explained it to me was unless they are in extremely high numbers or causing issues for the cham like lack of appetite or sluggishness she did not believe in treating for them. I chose to treat Beman only because I was already dealing with the other parasite issue you know about and it was preventative in case Beman contracted the other parasite. She agreed with me on treating more as a preventative of not wanting to treat for two things and or having one impact him and then contracting the second taking him down.
Makes sense! Yeah I believe the only time they’re harmful is when the animal is already stressed from something(like going to a new home or sick with something else) and they overpopulate the gut, reducing nutrient absorption.

There’s a very high chance that is where your pinworms are coming from and not anything in the enclosure, but of course it doesn’t hurt to clean everything. If you don’t find a better source of feeders though, you’ll like end up with them again. Could even be from the Dubia depending where they came from…

There’s a very high chance that is where your pinworms are coming from and not anything in the enclosure, but of course it doesn’t hurt to clean everything. If you don’t find a better source of feeders though, you’ll like end up with them again. Could even be from the Dubia depending where they came from…
There is no way for me to know right?

Back
Top Bottom