pinkie mice?

i feed them to my panthers once a month. a bit for weight gain and as an "exotic" snack, heh. they seem to like them now, but took a while for them to figure it as edible.

There indeed needs to be more study on this subject.

thats from the answer of #7, how are you going to respond with a article, and they guy isnt 100% sure about the benifits or not?

yeah, you could eat a hamburger every meal if you wanted to. doesnt mean that its good for you. but hey, u know more then me ive only had chameleons for 13 years. feed them what you want, i was just offering my advice.

not trying to be attacking your points nor doubting your experience as chameleon keeper.
Just want to straighten some facts about pinkies.

Now, with that being said, I do support the notion that you do not need to feed your chameleon pinkies for them to survive in captivity.
But, just trying to clarify that you indeed have the option to do it if you want.

And another thing is as far as this thread goes, I believe no one told the poster to feed his chameleons pinkies at every meal. I do agree that doing so will proven to be detrimental for your cham.

But, I see no harm in feeding one pinky once a month or once every 2 months to your chameleon.
I see one of the benefit in feeding pinky to your chameleon is the same as providing retinol for your chameleon.
(I am not going to open a discussion about retinol and beta carotene in this post).
And, yes! there indeed need to be more thorough study about this. The big issue about chameleon cannot convert beta carotene into vit A goes on..
I wish somebody will be able to uncover this mystery in the near future.

Sorry if i offend you somehow. No disrespect intended;)

wow, i didn't expect this much response. i also thought i was gonna be crucified at 1st, seeing how it could be a tad inhumane to feed a baby mouse to a monsterous lizard:rolleyes:.

anyway, i bought 2 pinkies and placed them in his food dish(after i made my kids leave the room of course). he laid there and stared for a long time and then went back to his favorite spot. i'm sure he had no clue what the heck these ugly things were wiggling around. hours later i returned and decided to hold one in front of his face to see what he'll do. after standing still holding this little thing for around 7-8 minutes(the pinky even peed on itself), he finally snatched it.

that was yesterday. he didn't seem to be interested in the other one so my 7 yr old ended up playing around w/ it. not sure what to do w/ the left over pinky now.

i did recieve a shipment of crickets and silkworms today. he ate a few silkies but now i wanna get some big, fat hornworms. silkies are sorta small, but i didn't know that b4 i ordered. the chirping crickets are getting on my ole lady's nerves.

also, i went the other day and bought a box of preloaded live crickets. opened them up a few hours later and found.........nothing. not one single living cricket in the box, only some empty bodies husks. i took them back and the chick opened up yet another empty box right in front of me. i did finally get a box with some in there though. crappy pet shops.

To much protien can cause complications for a chameleon. If you feed them to your chameleon do it sparingly.

Chameleons are know to eat a lot of things in the wild. I personally would have a hard time believing they are eating things like this on a regular basis. More of an opprotunity meal.

To much protien can cause complications for a chameleon. If you feed them to your chameleon do it sparingly.

Chameleons are know to eat a lot of things in the wild. I personally would have a hard time believing they are eating things like this on a regular basis. More of an opprotunity meal.

yeah, i figured that. i will introduce some veggies to him tomorrow.

no disrespect taken! im simply saying that through my experiences (reading books from people who have had chameleons long before me, and talking with other keepers.) ive never once heard anyone say its a good idea. wheather its once a month or once a year. that article that was posted was the first time i saw ANYONE say it might be a good idea. with a topic so contravisal there are so many other things you can feed a chameleon. im just saying why risk the health of your chameleon (it MAY not risk them) with all thats availible today as feeders theres just so many other things you can feed them as a treat that you know are safe.

i have never fed pinkies to my chams, but thats mostly cause ive only ever had panthers and the pinkies seem a little on the large size for them. On the other hand, i had a friend who caught a HUGE veiled running across la mirada blvd.(obviously someones escaped pet) and he fed it pinkies fairly often(1-2 month) and that thing lived forever, but he sure was mean...

Back
Top Bottom