Pinhead crickets…

Uri

Avid Member
I never realized how absolutely tiny these things are they aren’t for my chameleon but for my baby crested gecko he’s too small to eat the regular crickets I bug at PetSmart and I wanna get him started because he’s growing rather slow compared to the gargoyle gecko I got alongside him who was slightly bigger and grows much faster with crickets in his diet so I bought pinheads from joshes frogs and opened the container and saw nothing and thought what did they just send me egg crates them I see what I thought were fruit flies crawl out and thought wait and looked closely to see the tiny little pinheads and honestly wow I’m surprised to say the least who knows maybe these will get the little guys attention I highly doubt it tho can’t hurt to try

Yes pinheads are called pinhead for a reason 😉

Little kenyan roaches and red runners are extremely underrated as tiny feeders. They're active and tend to run across the soil and easier to breed.
I’m honestly not a fan of quick roaches they still gross me out not as much as crickets but from my experience my geckos aren’t usually huge fans of roaches except for my leopard he eats just about anything except the soldier flies but yeah I’ve seen a few on joshes frogs but they were sold out last I checked

The good thin @Uri is that the pinheads will grow so if you feed them well and you have too many, you can then feed them to the gargoyle gecko.
Yes that’s good! I have carrots and mustard greens and fruits and bought some sweet potatoes to feed off as well and hopefully they aren’t finished off as quickly as my other gutloaded and foods

I’m honestly not a fan of quick roaches they still gross me out not as much as crickets but from my experience my geckos aren’t usually huge fans of roaches except for my leopard he eats just about anything except the soldier flies but yeah I’ve seen a few on joshes frogs but they were sold out last I checked
To each their own! Summing up roaches as all being the same is a little misleading though. The difference between a little kenyan roach(which I can bet mostly everyone wouldn't even know was a roach unless you told them) and a dubia, or a red runner or any of the countless other species, is huge. Red runners are more like crickets than a dubia is to a red runner lol.

Not that I'm trying to change your mind, but I'm posting it for anyone out there wondering about small feeders. They're both good. My nocturnal frog will even come out to chase around kenyan roaches when I drop them in.

In general, it'd be good for breeders too. Easier and cleaner/safer to breed a bunch of little kenyans than it would be to raise crickets... or cheaper if you're buying them.

To each their own! Summing up roaches as all being the same is a little misleading though. The difference between a little kenyan roach(which I can bet mostly everyone wouldn't even know was a roach unless you told them) and a dubia, or a red runner or any of the countless other species, is huge. Red runners are more like crickets than a dubia is to a red runner lol.

Not that I'm trying to change your mind, but I'm posting it for anyone out there wondering about small feeders. They're both good. My nocturnal frog will even come out to chase around kenyan roaches when I drop them in.

In general, it'd be good for breeders too. Easier and cleaner/safer to breed a bunch of little kenyans than it would be to raise crickets... or cheaper if you're buying them.
Honestly that’s very convincing for me it’s an issue also of availability I buy mostly from dubia roaches and Josh’s frogs but joshes was our last I checked it’s funny tho I have to have a wide variety of sized for all my lizards my cham eats 1/2-3/4” dubia I’ll use them as an example while my leopard eats 1” and gobbled a 2” hornworm and is only slightly bigger than my cham but just is not scared of the insects like my cham is while my biggest crested eats 1/4-1/2” crickets but ignores any other insect I’ve offered and my baby geckos don’t seem to be too interested either that or they are too small for some of the crickets I offer

Honestly that’s very convincing for me it’s an issue also of availability I buy mostly from dubia roaches and Josh’s frogs but joshes was our last I checked it’s funny tho I have to have a wide variety of sized for all my lizards my cham eats 1/2-3/4” dubia I’ll use them as an example while my leopard eats 1” and gobbled a 2” hornworm and is only slightly bigger than my cham but just is not scared of the insects like my cham is while my biggest crested eats 1/4-1/2” crickets but ignores any other insect I’ve offered and my baby geckos don’t seem to be too interested either that or they are too small for some of the crickets I offer
I understand, I just wanted to put it out there, there's tons of variety in roach species. Some aren't even that creepy and/or don't look like roaches

Back
Top Bottom