Pine enclosure

Ryanoceros

Hello! I made an enclosure out of pine 1x2s and sealed it with a water based polycrylic. Is there any risk of pine toxicity from that? I've thought about going ahead and painting it with a non toxic paint just to make sure.

Latex paint is enough. If its outdoor you dont have to worry at all. Indoor unsealed pine can cause breathing issues, just like pine shavings.

It's definitely sealed, 3 coats. I didn't even think about it until I was about done making it that pine may be dangerous. I bought it because it was cheap and I don't know anything about woodworking so I knew I'd mess it up a bit

I have 0 idea if it's been pressure treated or kiln dried. But it's definitely not rough cut. I'll post a link to it. Literally cheap Lowe's furring strips.

Found the answer I was looking for finally, I only posted because I had searched so long and couldn't find much information. Just arguing opinions.

"There is nothing wrong with using kiln dried pine lumber for a cage frame. Fresh green pine or cedar (as in bedding or shavings) will release the aromatics that can be irritating. Regardless what wood you use you'll have to seal it very well to protect it from water rot. "

Back
Top Bottom