Pigmy substrate.....

Muddyfeet

I been toying with starting a VIV in a old unused zoomed reptarium.. I was thinking one nice to have some plants, then perhaps frogs.. Now... HUMMMMM Pigmy Chams!..

I have a lot of stuff, the lights, the ceramic base layer.. etc etc.. but what is the thoughts of the substrate combo?? Seen oh just some charcoal and then some eco earth kind.. and some combos..

So what is everyone else using?? I have everything except the top layer substrate.. and some plants.. and springtails, and pill bugs.. Curious has anyone tried using black solider fly larva for cleanup?? and a lot of general crap, cages etc laying around I like to put to use.. first step is however getting the viv set up, and see how it does etc.. may never add any live animals, but want to use what will allow that option in the future :)

I use Joshs Frogs flase bottom (any water absorbing layer will be fine). Then a layer of substrate barrier, Followed by ABG mix, which is a soil/moss combo, then some spagnum moss, and finally some sheet moss.

Then ontop of all that have a nice little layer of leaf litter and a ton of small branches/swigs for them to go on. Something like a ficus is good. Remember that they are shy, shade dwelling chams. So be sure to provide adequate coverage for them. And make sure temps dont get to high. Anything over 80 will be harmful.

No coco fiber if you want a living viv, check out NEherpetoculture, they have great prices and care guides. Ferns and mini ficuses/scheffleras/palms work great. Pothos are also a must for any cham;)

I use a mixture of natural soil/leaf mould that i collect from a nearby forest. This i mix with exo-terra plantation soil, exo terra tree fern fibre & fine orchid bark. I then add a layer of oak, beech & large magnolia leaves on top. Looks really natural & really helps keep humidity up to required levels. I also add springtails, woodlice & compost worms to the finished mix, to make up a self cleaning bio active substrate.

No...Never have. Would defeat the object of a bio active substrate if i were to nuke all the little micro organisms & little beasties that go together to make up this highly effective mini eco system. I just add a few extra springtails, tropical woodlice, compost worms etc. In fact the only things i find in the substrate i collect, that i consider a nuisance, are slugs & snails, because they eat the live plants. But these are easily removed once spotted.

I'd be careful with this, a deadly pathogen or any pest could be amongst it. Most just use a premaid mix lik ABG and add springtails. I've used neherp mix in my vivs and never had a problem. I'm not trying to criticize, just offering what I've learned is safest.

went with NE herps ABG mix

Well I went with NE Herps ABG mix.. Hell of a nice company.. their map showed I was in a longer than day shipping, so I did the extra.. turns out nope one day.. Also plants and insects packed really well, even with extreme cold!! Quality on the plants also was EXCELLENT.. down side they are so big and healthy have a plant to spare!

Still need to add braches, leaf litter, and some air plants... but so far this is it :)

Attachments

• 1922233_812110462137769_799494548_n[1].jpg
    1922233_812110462137769_799494548_n[1].jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 219
Looks good so far, and I know, they are so great! Are you going to add another plant too? I think a small ficus or schefflera would help. Otherwise you'll have some spoiled pygs:)

Looks good so far, and I know, they are so great! Are you going to add another plant too? I think a small ficus or schefflera would help. Otherwise you'll have some spoiled pygs:)

not at the moment.. I have a lovely pothos that they also sent, and a weeping fig cutting that I like to add once it is established.. the plant in the right is a vine plant so I hope It will do well and send offshoots off to move along some of the branches..

first planted viv so I have to see what grows well, and where :) but I fill in the open upper space around the branches.. with some simple plastic plants for now :) to be honest been thinking of gluing a cork pot of some kind in a upper corner or heck center.. for the weeping fig.. the top lacks plants.. and don't want to over cover the bottom.. too much... where will they lay ?? also having some reds would be nice, and that plant does like to grow down.. will have to see one it roots well, then find a nice natural pot and hot glue.. got to love hot glue.. :) may even try to make some sort of pot out of spray foam.. withdranage holes :) So much Ideas.. so little space.. hmm..

Well it is done.. only one more thing to add.. will be some cover plants..in the canopy area.. I am going to use fake for now till the live plants with trailing habits start to grow.. :)

Now just need to decide where to get them.. there is a store near me who has a pair of temporalis, or trust the good rep of FL chams.. and have brevs shipped.....

Sigh.. decisions decisions.. shame, not to many options on CB... sad.. who knows I hope to let a pair, or trio enjoy their captive environment.. and not mess with them too much.. only fair :) but kind of hope, to get some tiny babys :) will see.. biggest concern is happy chams, to enjoy..

Attachments

• 1798557_816556721693143_875562980_n (2).jpg
    1798557_816556721693143_875562980_n (2).jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 231
Looks good mate.
I like & use the cork bark for backgrounds myself, not cheap but looks natural & the chams can easily grip onto it to climb.

Back
Top Bottom