Pictures of my new Carpet, Anja!

CLFblackhawk

Ive finally gotten around to getting some better pictures of my Carpet. I decided to name her Anja! I also put a picture of my cage setup in here, I would like some feedback on how it looks and what I can improve on. For some reason she doesnt like to hang around the plants, but instead stays to the left of the cage, usually hanging on the side mesh. Is this normal, or is she just not adjusted yet? If its not normal, what can I change to fix it? Anyways, please feel free to leave lots of feedback!

Attachments

• Pic1.jpg
    Pic1.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 152
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 142
  • pic4.jpg
    pic4.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 144
very cute and small. i think a small fica tree might be better as it looks like she may not be able to clasp the large leafs with her small mittens. also more limbs cross way on top so she can lay on them. what kind of lighting do you have?

Wow she is super cool.

I would say she is still relocating to her new enviroment. My veiled climbed the walls the first 2 days I had him.

Yeah I realized the plant is too big for her to grip, which could be part of the problem haha. I have a reptisun 5.0 UVB bulb. She also stays on the vines alot and when she does is a very dark brown, the exact color of the vine. Is she this dark because she is trying to hide or becuase she is stressed?

I am not an expert in carpet chameleons, however I think your she is a he. If I am not mistaken, female carpets are a different color.

I am not an expert in carpet chameleons, however I think your she is a he. If I am not mistaken, female carpets are a different color.

You are mistaken, that is a girl.

CLF: She may be dark from stress of her new home and environment. She should calm down within a week or so (every chameleon is different) and I recommend not handling her until she does relax. Carpet chameleons like high humidity and cool to moderate temperatures. Females are not fussy eaters but can be prone to overeating so do watch her intake. Have fun with your new pet!

Cheers,
T

P.S. Is she a WC specimen?

She is very pretty. If I were you I would think about putting a few more vines/sticks pretty close tot he top of the enclosure so she has plenty of spots to sit and soak up the UVB. You have to remember that the UVB from the light only reaches 12in. max and if it is going through a finer screen or finer mesh its les than that. I have lots of stick at the very top of my enclosures for my smaller panthers that have to be in finer screen cages so they can get their uvb. It takes most wild caught chameleons a little bit longer to acclimate to a acge than a captive bred one that has been raised in one its whole life. Good luck and she looks very healthy.

Justin

Oh, and yes that is a female carpet. They are only the black and white main body color with red, yellow, and purple speckles when they are gravid or trying to show that they are very unreceptive to a male.

For some reason she doesnt like to hang around the plants, but instead stays to the left of the cage, usually hanging on the side mesh. Is this normal, or is she just not adjusted yet?

We have one male carpet we raised from a baby and he ALWAYS insists on hanging and sleeping on the side of the cage.. no matter what nice vines and branched we decorate his cage with. We thought it was because his cage was near a window and he was looking out... but even after we moved his cage so he couldn't see out the window he still sleeps on the side of the cage.

Our other carpets don't do this.. Maybe he just has a complex

Thanks everyone for the posts!

Yes she is WC... Its just a little frustrating because my brothers male Carpet adjusted almost immediately, but she already seems to be doing better. She has been relaxing in the plants a bit more today which makes me really happy! She will usually hangs from the side next to the light or right under it. i know carpets are avid baskers but is this too close? Today she ate 4 small crickets and 3 yesterday. Her first poop looked really good, but she looks a little dehydrated from her urine so I increased the misting and humidifier a little more. Im really excited to see what tomorrow brings! :D

p.s. I had no doubt she was a female :p

Cory

Like I said I'm not an expert on carpets. So I learn something new every day. I have never owned any, but really like them. I have only saw pics of them, so I figured all females were dark purle and males were the green color. Good to know.

I have never owned any, but really like them. I have only saw pics of them, so I figured all females were dark purle and males were the green color. Good to know.

Yeah I should have posted a picture of my brothers male carpet, its amazing how green he is, its a very bright green. They are truly amazing creatures... I hadn't realized how big my brothers veield had gottent till we got these little ones, know he looks like godzilla or something haha. Its nice to have these little ones , i love it!

Back
Top Bottom