here are the pictures

Attachments

• DSC02559.JPG
    DSC02559.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 162
  • DSC02562.JPG
    DSC02562.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 155
yes they are, i have only had them since thursday and they have already shown their personalitys alot, and im really suprised how far they can stick their little tounges out, almost a half longer than their bodies

How adorable. We have pygmys too, and I just love them. The 5.0 is generally considered to be a bit too strong for them, since they are forest floor dwellers in their real world and were not designed to get much direct sunlight rays. Generally a 2.0 or an old 5.0 is used on this species by most folks. Oh, and JustinIgor is right, they don't need heat as long as their reptarium is about 70-75 during the day and in the 60's at night. Sometimes I put a warming lamp (one of those dark nightime reptile warming bulbs on a clamp light) on mine for a bit to get their reptarium temp up to mid-70s. Because our tank is very large, 55gal, and so it takes a long time during the day to meet the room's ambient daytime temp. The room they are in is heated to mid 70s during the day and mid 60s at night. But the large tank tends to hold its cool temp and so sometimes I help it warm up a bit to reach the recommended daytime temps.

Last edited:
thanks gesang thats some good info, they like to hide under the plants so they arn't really in the direct light hardly at all but yeah my cage temp was at like 68 so i put just a regular 40 watt bulb over the cage and in like 45 minutes the temp was up to 75

thanks gesang thats some good info, they like to hide under the plants so they arn't really in the direct light hardly at all but yeah my cage temp was at like 68 so i put just a regular 40 watt bulb over the cage and in like 45 minutes the temp was up to 75

Be careful that it doesn't go much above that. They get heat stress when temps get close to 80F, and can die with temps in the 80s.

i'm getting a pygmy for my girlfriend's birthday (next august)..
she's been on and on and on about pygmy this pygmy that :)

She is quite versed with veiled (she took care of mine during the first baby stage).

How's the care so far? more complicated than a veiled?

yours are mighty cute :)

from the research i have dont it seems they are much simpilar than a veiled or panther. room temperature they dont eat much, easy to keep the humidity up being in a glass aquarium. hydration is one misting it the morning. they only need one low wattage UV bulp, so that save on electricity. plus you can have several in a cage! very cool

yeah just to keep tabs on the temp a have a thermometer in there all the time but they are much easier to take care of then a veiled or panther, you just have to make sure to spray them directly so they can drink but also to clean their eyes if they get any substraite in them, but if they are 2 males i dont think they will cause eachother too much stress because they stay on different sides of the cage

as far as winter goes, I don't think it's a problem.. but during summer, especially in CA and Florida where the ambient temperature of the house can get to high 80s, how you control the temp?

Do you guys turn on AC 24/7?
This is the only thing that prevented me buying pygmys for my GF

well i live in nebraska so winter here is a little tough to keep the temp up but in the summer we have our AC on most of the day if its 85 or higher but lower then that we usually have the windows open

Back
Top Bottom