Pics of Gonzo looking a little dark

rcdrivertim

Someone asked to start a new thread about Gonzo. Here are his pics from a few minutes ago. He eats just fine. Diet is Dubia Roaches. Someone said he was a little skinny so I feed him about 5 3/4" Dubias in the mornings dusted with Calcium with D3. Has an auto mister. Basking temp is about 90 or so. UVB 5.0 bulb. He just got in to this newer and larger enclosure 2 days ago. Any feedback?

686293066_o.jpg

686293037_o.jpg

Hello,

So he is a bit dark looking.

what is his basking temp?

How much foliage is in his cage?

How much does he eat?

What kind of bugs?

Can you get him outside for some natural sunshine?

Hello,

So he is a bit dark looking.

what is his basking temp?

How much foliage is in his cage?

How much does he eat?

What kind of bugs?

Can you get him outside for some natural sunshine?

Basking temp is 90.

Here is a pic of his enclosure.

He will eat probably 10 Dubias if I allowed him. He is a piggy. I usually feed 5-6 a day and every couple days give him Superworms (2) I dust everything before feeding him. I feed the Dubias and Superworms Romaine lettuce, carrots and oranges.

686299541_o.jpg

Ok.

You need more foliage at the top,
and you can let him eat as much as he wants right now.

you need to spruce up your gutloading.

Please find blogs from sandrachameleon on this.

As for supplements- what exactly are you dusting with?

Ok.

You need more foliage at the top,
and you can let him eat as much as he wants right now.

you need to spruce up your gutloading.

Please find blogs from sandrachameleon on this.

As for supplements- what exactly are you dusting with?

I am dusting with Calcium with D3 when I feed every day and the multivitamin Reptivite once a week for that.

I just gave him 5 more large Dubias and went right through them. LOL

Ok.
SO you need a calcium without d3 for every feeding.

the calcium with d3 is to be used twice a month ONLY. a chameleon can overdose on d3 if offered too often.

and told ya, hell start to feel better as he gets some more weight put on,

Not sure if this is causing his darkness or not but I would say you shouldnt be dusting with d3 everyday. As far as i know you dust with calcium everyday then twice a month with calcium with d3 and also twice a month with multi vit. This is all based off what i was told from a couple senior members from this board. BTW he is pretty!

*edit*
CAMIMOM beat me to it!

Gonzo says thanks for the compliment. I will get some calcium without D3 right away. Until then tomorrow I will give him food just gut loaded. He is really super bright at night so, maybe less calcium and will get brighter. By the way, how much should I let him eat?

You can get the calcium with no d3 from many of our site sponsors.

And Im sure he wil get brighter during the day with some good food and more foliage.

As for food amount- I let my adults eat about 8-10 bugs every other day, however for your boy, id say that amount every day until he fills out some.

His spine shouldn't stick out quite as much, and his casque should be full.

I am figuring that out now. Thank you for the info. I will get the calcium without D3. What do you thikn I should gut load with? I have Romaine hearts, oranges, carrots and apples. I also have some high quality dog food (dry), Someone said not to use that though.

Heh that was me about the no dog food.

You've been emailing back and forth with me.
;)

as for gutloading- I use fresh fruits, veggies, greens, some nuts, bee pollen,

Sandrachameleon has amazing blogs with all kinds of stuff you can use.

O I see said the blind man. I will try to look for her blog and get some better gut loading items. By the way what kind of nuts for the roaches? I also leave his door open as much as I can to make him feel safer.

I believe some people use almonds, peanuts, walnuts

(the unsalted, roasted etc kind)

I also use sunflower seeds, dandelion leaves (you can get these from a grocery store), bell peppers, lettuce, greens, black beans, ground lentils (on occasion).

Well the hard beans and nuts I grind.

the leaves and fruitsand what not, I simply place in the roach bin.

I am figuring that out now. Thank you for the info. I will get the calcium without D3. What do you thikn I should gut load with? I have Romaine hearts, oranges, carrots and apples. I also have some high quality dog food (dry), Someone said not to use that though.

There is a user on here named sandachameleon, look her up. Her blogs are incredibly helpful for feeding and supplementation.

She also has a very detailed list of gutload items ranked from best to worst that would probably be helpful for you.

Back
Top Bottom