picky chameleon?

Gwendalyn.brock

Established Member
My chameleon is about 11 months and normally eats about 10 crickets every other day but this last week he didn't seem interested in crickets. I gave him a hornworm today instead, he loved it. Is it normal for chameleons to get bored of their food? I've been giving him superworms and hornworms occasionally. Should I try other feeders?

My chameleon is about 11 months and normally eats about 10 crickets every other day but this last week he didn't seem interested in crickets. I gave him a hornworm today instead, he loved it. Is it normal for chameleons to get bored of their food? I've been giving him superworms and hornworms occasionally. Should I try other feeders?

Definitely try other feeders. Variety is healthy for their diet and also enriching for them. They can get picky, mine would eat super worms day and night if if let them and tire of crickets easily. Silkworms are their favorite, and are very good feeders

Definitely try other feeders. Variety is healthy for their diet and also enriching for them. They can get picky, mine would eat super worms day and night if if let them and tire of crickets easily. Silkworms are their favorite, and are very good feeders
He doesn't like phoenix worms, haven't tried wax worms yet. I have no idea where to buy silkworms here and since I live in an apartment complex ordering them online is not an option currently. He also will not eat out of a cup or out of my hand is there another way to feed him worms. The superworms and hornworms climb around the cage and he loves hunting. Is there other types of worms (not mealworms)? Also he used to eat flightless fruitflies; should I try that again?

He doesn't like phoenix worms, haven't tried wax worms yet. I have no idea where to buy silkworms here and since I live in an apartment complex ordering them online is not an option currently. He also will not eat out of a cup or out of my hand is there another way to feed him worms. The superworms and hornworms climb around the cage and he loves hunting. Is there other types of worms (not mealworms)? Also he used to eat flightless fruitflies; should I try that again?

Where abouts do you live?

If he is small enough to still be interested in flightless fruit, would not hurt. Silkworms are hard to find this time of year. Your best bet would be to look up reptile specialty stores or mom n pop pet stores for good variety of feeders. Only other worms I can think of are wax and butters, both of which are more as treats than a staple. Have you tried dubias?

My guys also prefer when the feeders are climbing, even after being cup taught :) Silkworms will cling to branches like hornworms. Butters and wax worms not so much.

If I feed my cham supers he will strike for crickets sometimes but will never turn down a silk or horn.

You should definitely try roaches. There are many different species out there that you can use. You can also catch grasshoppers for most of the year (I also live in Austin and see those hopping around everywhere). Just remember that if you catch anything there are risks of parasites and pesticides, so keep that in mind! If you go the wild caught route remember to look for places pesticide-free.
Isopods are another great option and very easy to breed.

Back
Top Bottom