Photos of Hybrid Chameleons

Education!!

I went to my local reptile store Underground Reptile and was enlightened but some new information that I feel silly about..

the panther chams are from the same region so mixing a Ambanja & Ambilobe in my case wouldn't be considered a hybrid.. its more of a morph.. kind of like.. ball pythons & there different pattern morphs.. they're the same species..

Hybrid would be like a veiled & a Jackson making a baby.. although I do not think that's possible.. not to sure..

made a thread about chams that don't exist XD

I would still like to see different morphs .. kinda like mine if you guys had more pics that be awsome

My understanding of "morph" is a genetic aberration, such as albino or piebald. Same species, not naturally occurring (or usually not for very long, anyway, as they tend to be targeted by predators), but inheritable by offspring according to standard genetic rules.

In the case of panther chameleons, each of these localities has been carefully, selectively bred over centuries - more likely, milennia - in different parts of Madagascar. Selected by what agency? Probably female chameleons in the region who think that blue, red or yellow is just a _hot_ color - or perhaps just the luck of the draw. Maybe the only chameleon ever to raft over to Nosy Be had a predisposition to blue . . . Panther chameleons haven't evolved into separate species, but naturally occurring color morphs can be found throughout their range.

In any case, they're naturally occurring and very localized, chameleons not being great long-distance travelers. Although they're the same species, I'd consider a man-made cross between two such animals more of a "locality hybrid" than a "morph", as each locality could be said to have its own existing morph.

Just my $.02 - because there's an awful whole heck of a lot of stuff that I don't know, and in any case - there are some _gorgeous_ animals in this thread!

~Bruce

My understanding of "morph" is a genetic aberration, such as albino or piebald. Same species, not naturally occurring (or usually not for very long, anyway, as they tend to be targeted by predators), but inheritable by offspring according to standard genetic rules.

In the case of panther chameleons, each of these localities has been carefully, selectively bred over centuries - more likely, milennia - in different parts of Madagascar. Selected by what agency? Probably female chameleons in the region who think that blue, red or yellow is just a _hot_ color - or perhaps just the luck of the draw. Maybe the only chameleon ever to raft over to Nosy Be had a predisposition to blue . . . Panther chameleons haven't evolved into separate species, but naturally occurring color morphs can be found throughout their range.

In any case, they're naturally occurring and very localized, chameleons not being great long-distance travelers. Although they're the same species, I'd consider a man-made cross between two such animals more of a "locality hybrid" than a "morph", as each locality could be said to have its own existing morph.

Just my $.02 - because there's an awful whole heck of a lot of stuff that I don't know, and in any case - there are some _gorgeous_ animals in this thread!

~Bruce

Broo thanks for clearing that up man.. someone had to know the perfect answer lol

Back
Top Bottom