Photo update on my Meller's (Guinevere)

Olimpia

Biologist & Ecologist
Realized that I've been so busy that I really haven't posted photos in a long while, at least not as much as I used to, so since I had a few new ones of "Lady" Guinevere (and there are a few more threads on melleri this week it should be fitting).

She's shedding the top of her head today, poor girl, but looking much better than she did at the height of her infections. She's also gained back a substantial amount of weight.

xoj3.png

wf6w.png

These two from a couple weeks ago, much less happy! But she needed to be moved, and after all her treatments she hates it when I handle her.
(Milk mustache!)

ltzt.png

4bow.png

Wow, she does look a lot better than before! Getting that shed stuck behind their lobes really makes shedding even worse for Melleri. Mine both shed last week and both of them let me rub behind their lobes to get the shed out! (Still working on the hornworms!)

Deb

She's looking good Olimpia. You've done great nursing her back to health. I looked at your old posts of her to see if I could find out how you know she's a confirmed female but couldn't find the info I was looking for. I'm just curious about the back story on her. How do you know she's a she?

I've read (Melleri Discovery, etc.) and experienced that typical breeding coloration on males is either black and yellow or black, yellow and white, depending on the color phase, etc. Even so, I've read in various places (Melleri Discovery, etc.) that coloration is not a reliable way to sex melleri because females are good at mimicking males, etc..

Despite knowing that though, I've never had a confirmed female that exhibited the coloration that your girl has. If I were guessing and didn't know what her sex was, I would strongly suspect a male if all I had were the 3rd and 4th photos of her where she is yellow and black with some white.

You know by my recent melleri post, that I also haven't seen any of my previous confirmed females quite the coloration that my newly acquired female took on when the male tried courting her. However, I did see a photo of a female laying eggs on Melleri Discovery with those same colors and pattern, although the colors on that female were not as vibrant (more muted) and there wasn't as much contrast to her pattern as there was yesterday on my new female.

Interestingly, Kelly (KellysChameleons) had named her girl Guinevere also, although with a different spelling. :) I'll have to rename her though, if Kelly doesn't mind, because otherwise, it'll get really confusing around here. :eek: As you might guess, she named the male Lancelot. :) Anyway, I'd love to know how you know what sex Guinevere is. Please share. I find this whole coloration variation and this sex mimicry thing very interesting. Of course, Kristina touched on that quite a bit on The Melleri Discovery.

Thanks,
Perry

Thank you everyone!

Wow, she does look a lot better than before! Getting that shed stuck behind their lobes really makes shedding even worse for Melleri. Mine both shed last week and both of them let me rub behind their lobes to get the shed out! (Still working on the hornworms!)

Deb

Thanks! Aww, poor kids! I think her current shed hasn't gone all the way around her lobes yet but I'll be sure to help her out if she needs it. That has to be an awkward spot! (Keep trying! lol)

She's looking good Olimpia. You've done great nursing her back to health. I looked at your old posts of her to see if I could find out how you know she's a confirmed female but couldn't find the info I was looking for. I'm just curious about the back story on her. How do you know she's a she?

Interestingly, Kelly (KellysChameleons) had named her girl Guinevere also, although with a different spelling. :) I'll have to rename her though, if Kelly doesn't mind, because otherwise, it'll get really confusing around here. :eek: As you might guess, she named the male Lancelot. :) Anyway, I'd love to know how you know what sex Guinevere is. Please share. I find this whole coloration variation and this sex mimicry thing very interesting. Of course, Kristina touched on that quite a bit on The Melleri Discovery.

Thanks,
Perry

Thanks Perry! It's taken many many months!

I adopted her from someone who purchased her CB/H from a clutch about 5 years ago (by Fluxlizard, I believe) and the previous owner experienced her lay eggs 1-2 times a year for the past several. This was a member who was well known around the forum, I don't think she had any reason to lie to me since I wasn't looking for one thing or another specifically, gender-wise (except about the being totally healthy part). She hasn't laid eggs with me yet but I've only had her since February and she's been really very sick that entire time, so that doesn't necessarily surprise me. We'll see for sure if she lays eggs again while she's with me.

Ha! What a coincidence. I named mine that because I call her "lady" all the time, so we went through queen names but decided we didn't want to use a more common name (like Elizabeth or Catherine) so we settled on [Lady] Guinevere.

Thank you everyone!

Thanks! Aww, poor kids! I think her current shed hasn't gone all the way around her lobes yet but I'll be sure to help her out if she needs it. That has to be an awkward spot! (Keep trying! lol)

Thanks Perry! It's taken many many months!

I adopted her from someone who purchased her CB/H from a clutch about 5 years ago (by Fluxlizard, I believe) and the previous owner experienced her lay eggs 1-2 times a year for the past several. This was a member who was well known around the forum, I don't think she had any reason to lie to me since I wasn't looking for one thing or another specifically, gender-wise (except about the being totally healthy part). She hasn't laid eggs with me yet but I've only had her since February and she's been really very sick that entire time, so that doesn't necessarily surprise me. We'll see for sure if she lays eggs again while she's with me.

Ha! What a coincidence. I named mine that because I call her "lady" all the time, so we went through queen names but decided we didn't want to use a more common name (like Elizabeth or Catherine) so we settled on [Lady] Guinevere.

From The Melleri Discovery, "A subject that requires more study in melleri is the possibility of behavioral mimicry as well as the extent of monomorphism. It is suspected that some females can assume male courtship colors and displays to maintain their territories and reduce competition for prey."

Unless I missed them, no photos are shown of females in male courtship coloration. The site describes that breeding male coloration is either black and yellow or black, yellow and white, depending on the "color phase".

I'd like to know how often the yellow, black and white coloration is seen by other keepers of confirmed females. I've simply never seen any of my past confirmed females or photos of other keeper's confirmed females exhibit that coloration.

Under "Cohabitation" on The Melleri Discovery, a confirmed female with black and yellow stress coloration is mentioned (no photo is shown though), but noticeably absent is a description of a stressed female with black, yellow and white. Are you aware of any photos showing confirmed females (besides Guinevere), showing these colors?

Perry

Perry, no I'm not, sorry. That might be a question to shoot to either Julie (Chams1) or Karen (Thephotoprincess), who both have kept or currently keep several confirmed females. They might know more and have photos of it.

What a difference from when you first got her!! You have make such wonderful progress getting her back to much better health. She looks good, and she makes you look great.:)

What a difference from when you first got her!! You have make such wonderful progress getting her back to much better health. She looks good, and she makes you look great.:)

Thanks Laurie! She's back to her pre-illness weight, she's eating like a piglet again, and she trusts me enough again to hand feed. So... phew! lol Only took us about 6 months but I think it's over.

Back
Top Bottom