Photo Contest

Anyway, to answer the original question, the judging system was put in place to help prevent large ties from occurring. When everyone is voting on 10 photos and everyone's vote counts the same, there were frequent issues with ties occurring. By implementing a judging system with multiple, rotating judges who assign a differential point value to their perceived top photos, ties are far less common. The rotation of the judges helps prevent bias (unless you happen to piss that many people off, in which case, you have other problems you should be thinking about). Having it so that the general vote counts for more points then any one judge also helps prevent bias. I think the system works and that without it, the tie breaking would be far less unbias.

Chris

thanks chris, i appreciate you taking the time to address my question, that makes a lot of sense

Momma!

4. Private Judge Ranking
Private ranking by a few judges appointed by the administrator. This phase helps to prevent different forms of abuse.

There isn't much to explain other than, Brad picks two or three people (depends if he plans to vote himself I guess) and he sends out a PM with a sort of guide on how to be objective. He points out aspects of a photo he would like to see, as in... health of the cham, focus of the photo, composure, photo quality, is it natural... just a guide of things to look for. Remember these photos are entered later for the calender.. so they need to be good quality photos. The judges have NO say on who should or shouldn't be in the contest. Judges select from the same gallery everyone on the forum selected from. There are no special private meetings or discussions. Brad doesn't tell you who to pick and he doesn't tell you who the other judges are (at least not until he posts the results and everyone sees who was picked to judge).

I've judged and I enjoy it a lot. It is an honor to serve all of you, you're welcome ;) :p.

The people who seem to complain have been removed for simply NOT following the 'rules' or 'guidelines' for an entry. It is THAT simple.

reyesjoshuacruz, you make this out like it is some conspiracy and that we need to dig out the dirt. This is a VERY simple contest. you enter your best photo, Brad removes photos that don't fit the guidelines. Then all of us vote for who we like. Then, so their isn't any deadlock, three judges pick their top three. As a judge we have NO clue who is in the lead of the forum vote. And I think what you'll notice, judges pick pretty close to what was most wanted by the forum vote.

As others have said (not in so many words...), Brad does NOT have to fork out $50 and hand it over to some schlep with a good photo... But, he does. Be glad we all have this resource and network of keepers to help us all do the best we can for out chameleons.

This isn't T-ball... its a competition (the photo contest of course). If people can't follow the simple rules and guidelines or are upset by losing, don't enter.

Most importantly, don't take it so personal, its just a little photo contest :cool:.

2. Judge Ranking
Each judge assigns points to their three favorite photos according to an objective list of criteria. Each judge gives out 3, 2, and 1 points to their top three photos. Currently there will be 2-3 judges per contest.

I fell like judges should not be able to give more than one pt if they even need to exist.

Another question i would like answered is , does #2 above mean each judge can give 9pts total, or 6pts total?

3+2=5

5+1=6

Each judge can give a total of 6 points...... spread over three photos..... so really the most advantage one judge can give one photo, is three points. Yes, if all three judges picked the same photo as their '#1' pick... that photo could get 9 points. But then... the next photo (if picked by all judges) would get 6 points more than it had from forum votes..... this is where the judges break ties......

Now, don't get me wrong, I have some issues with the contest.... like DSLR vs. PAS........ not on the same level. So most photos that win are DSLR.... I don't own one, so I don't enter unless somehow I was able to catch a good pic with my POS PAS. If I don't get a good shot, I don't enter. The controversy with DSLRs is deep... and as it was touched on in this thread... it can be tricky... Food for thought.... if you can alter the color on the camera.... why can't you do it on photoshop? Both are 'post production' if you boil it down..... But... the rules are the rules and since I can be a good sport, I'll play by them.

4. Private Judge Ranking
Private ranking by a few judges appointed by the administrator. This phase helps to prevent different forms of abuse.

I feel like #4 should be explain in much more detail. does anyone else agree?
I would like us to post questions about #4 here to get more info.
Ill start can mods be " judges "?
Yes, mods can be judges.

2. Judge Ranking
Each judge assigns points to their three favorite photos according to an objective list of criteria. Each judge gives out 3, 2, and 1 points to their top three photos. Currently there will be 2-3 judges per contest.

I fell like judges should not be able to give more than one pt if they even need to exist.
As explained above one of the original reasons for the judges was to help prevent ties. At the time we were receiving about 10 entries a month and had maybe 20 voters. As the contest continues to grow this will become less of a problem. However, another reason for creating the system was for the preservation of integrity. Maintaining an objective contest and minimizing fraud is very important. There are many ways to cheat an internet poll or for fraud to arise, and I'm sure everyone is most interested in an honest competition. The current system is an attempt at keeping an open member vote while checking those results and ensuring a level of integrity. I'm sure there are better ways of doing this, but in any solution the concerns above must be accounted for.

To answer your question, with the current system judges need enough influence to curb a dishonest result when they independently agree. One point would not be enough.

reyesjoshuacruz, you make this out like it is some conspiracy and that we need to dig out the dirt.

what are you talking about, where did i do this? i literally laughed out loud when i read that man because i have no idea where you are coming from on that one. I asked clarifying questions

Does anyone else think i was trying to make it out to be a conspiracy and that we need to dig out the dirt?

dont through me in with anyone else that you perceive to be complaining, here is what i said.........

Also

Another question i would like answered is , does #2 above mean each judge can give 9pts total, or 6pts total?

It sounds like you are trying to rally the members to demand an answer from Brad. It sounds like you don't trust his judgment method of the contest as if there is more to it than a panel of judges deciding on their top three choices. You want more detail about a simple process.

–noun, plural -cies.
1. the act of conspiring.
2. an evil, unlawful, treacherous, or surreptitious plan formulated in secret by two or more persons; plot.
3. a combination of persons for a secret, unlawful, or evil purpose: He joined the conspiracy to overthrow the government.
4. Law. an agreement by two or more persons to commit a crime, fraud, or other wrongful act.
5. any concurrence in action; combination in bringing about a given result.

If this isn't to rally people, I don't understand why you ask for the backing of everyone else. If you are asking just one question about one rule, maybe sending Brad a PM would be a better idea?

It sounds like you are trying to rally the members to demand an answer from Brad. It sounds like you don't trust his judgment method of the contest as if there is more to it than a panel of judges deciding on their top three choices. You want more detail about a simple process.

–noun, plural -cies.
1. the act of conspiring.
2. an evil, unlawful, treacherous, or surreptitious plan formulated in secret by two or more persons; plot.
3. a combination of persons for a secret, unlawful, or evil purpose: He joined the conspiracy to overthrow the government.
4. Law. an agreement by two or more persons to commit a crime, fraud, or other wrongful act.
5. any concurrence in action; combination in bringing about a given result.

If this isn't to rally people, I don't understand why you ask for the backing of everyone else. If you are asking just one question about one rule, maybe sending Brad a PM would be a better idea?

please im begging you, take apart the original content in my post and show me exactly what part " sounded " like i was trying to rally anyone.

rally, demand, trust????? please support your opinion.

ill take my own post appart.

I feel like #4 should be explain in much more detail. does anyone else agree?[/QUOTE]

rally? no or else i would have said something like , " #4 should be explained, in more detail, shouldn't it? dont you all agree? some ones hiding something"

demand?, no i used words like " i feel " and " should " ( not has to, must be, or dont you all agree ) ,

trust?.... i dont know about anyone else but what is the point in asking a question of someone i dont trust, what good is the answer if i dont trust them?

and do you really think in this context there is anything wrong with asking the opinion of others?......on a forum? i cant even wrap my head around that one

this is a FORUM!!!!, we are supposed to get together to discuss topics?!?!?!!?!?! and look at the way i phrased it,

" i would like us to post questions" even the mods said they welcome feedback, and questions lead to feedback.

i could have said something like " its about time we all posted questions here to get to the bottom of this " but i didnt, obviously...well i guess its not that obvious after all

I EVEN GAVE AN EXAMPLE OF WHAT KIND OF QUESTIONS I WANTED TO DISCUSS. CLARIFYING QUESTIONS, SIMPLE AS THAT.

where is the rallying, demanding, paranoid tone in that question? simple process yes, was that detailed in the rules, no. it was a harmless good question man..........

and finally i give some feedback, and an opinion, ( this is still a forum right? ) the rules say:

" Private Judge Ranking
Private ranking by a few judges appointed by the administrator. This phase helps to prevent different forms of abuse."

based on that limited explanation of why judges exist, i had no idea if i thought they served a good purpose at the time of writing that. after having received multiple explanations i have to say i agree with this method.

clarifying question, nuff said. i belong to other forums where it is ok to ask questions, and voice opinions, even if someone else doesnt agree with them?

i wasnt supporting either side, but if i was, and i had supported the decision to implement this method of checking and balancing and you agreed with me you wouldnt have said anything....but you didnt, and you did

I think s simple PM to brad would have sufficed, since this is obviously a touchy subject.

i thought i might not be the only one with questions, maybe even the same questions as i had.

I see benefit and getting any questions on issues that may concern the forums members, answered publicly.

if i pmd brad no one would have seen the answer.....

also, who says i was asking brad? i didnt feel like bothering him on something like that, members answered my question long before brad and that was all i was looking for, answers...........

why are you disregarding my last post? Honestly i would like those points addressed, i dont like the way you accused and assumed. esp since you fail to back any of it up.

The people who seem to complain have been removed for simply NOT following the 'rules' or 'guidelines' for an entry. It is THAT simple.

"The people" I am adressing are people who complained in other threads, if you don't think you are complaining, then I am not addressing you.

reyesjoshuacruz, you make this out like it is some conspiracy and that we need to dig out the dirt.

This is the only time I address you directly. When reading your thread I got a vibe from your OP. I felt there was a tone, sounds like you want to call out Brad on the rules. If this isn't your tone then maybe I am wrong about the purpose of this thread.

reyesjoshuacruz said:

The underlined part of your OP is what gave me the feeling you feel there is a conspiracy. You are implying there is more to the judging process than what is said by Brad in the contest rules. And there just isn't. I get the 'rally the troops' feeling from the part that is in bold. Put the two bits together and it just came off to me in the manner I accused you of.

Recently there have been discussions about how the contest isn't fair and yadda yadda... Your post combined with those talks just lead me to think this thread will turn into another one of those 'this isn't fair I'm not winning' threads. Even though you aren't saying that, there are others who will take it there... and your wording just fuels the fire. Which is why I took the 'oh great, here we go...' attitude. There is nothing personal between you and I. I just felt your OP had 'conspiracy theory' written on the side. If I am wrong, again, so be it.

As I said before:

Most importantly, don't take it so personal, its just a little photo contest :cool:.

thanks for responding and taking the time to answer my questions.

for the record, i agree with the method, i just had some questions

Is there a reason why my photos keep getting taken off of the contests? They disappear before the deadline comes.

Vendettas against minihuey??

There are a number of reasons it can be taken off..

Too pixely, too big, too small.. not the right dimensions..

There are a number of reasons it can be taken off..

Too pixely, too big, too small.. not the right dimensions..

Good joke!

It met all requirements and the photo is pretty damn nice. IMO...

Attachments

• DSC00215.jpg
    DSC00215.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 162
Good joke!

It met all requirements and the photo is pretty damn nice. IMO...

that is pretty nice pic. I do not deal with photo contest.. but, if I have to guess, you probably have problem with the size.
I check your pic, it read 599X449 pixel

here is the rule of the contest:
Image dimensions: Large photos are preferred. The largest side must be at least 800 pixels. The size ratio (smaller side / larger side) must be >= .65.

that is pretty nice pic. I do not deal with photo contest.. but, if I have to guess, you probably have problem with the size.
I check your pic, it read 599X449 pixel

here is the rule of the contest:
Image dimensions: Large photos are preferred. The largest side must be at least 800 pixels. The size ratio (smaller side / larger side) must be >= .65.

well there we go... I guess.

However, why are all the other photos 600 pixels?

The pictures resize themselves for the photo gallery.. however the original picture is what Brad looks at.

Back
Top Bottom