Phoenix Worms? What's the Deal?

kronikcurt

I have heard a bit about phoenix worms but dont know much about them besides they are high in calcium. how do they differ from other worms and are they all there worked up to be or is it more of a marketing scam??

12.7% fat. 20.3% protein. 133 Ca ppm. 3345 phosphorous ppm. Natural weapon against coccidia. Provide high levels of natural lauric acid. 53% of fat in worms is lauric acid. Helps with MBD. (According to paperwork I have in folder. Don't know whether the claims are valid or not) I have never used.

They're actually more of a maggot . . .

My chams don't give the larvae a second look - but adore the black soldier flies they moult into!

~Bruce

Agreed. I hear the flies are relished, especially by Jax. Yes, technically they are maggots. Just not as creepy looking as some maggots.

my 5 month old panther goes nuts for them and has had some of the soldier flies too. IMO there a great feeder for price compared to many others. get 100-150 for 8.50

My Jackson loves them. I'm trying to get a few to morph into a fly, but she loves the actual worm. In fact I've never seen her move so fast. She just about leapt across her enclosure to get to them.

My Jackson loves them. I'm trying to get a few to morph into a fly, but she loves the actual worm. In fact I've never seen her move so fast. She just about leapt across her enclosure to get to them.

sounds about right with my guy too

Keep about 60 degrees or they pupate fast.

Buy fresh, all maggots should be white, not brown.:D

Nick

Flies

How long does it take them to hatch, and if they do, how do you get the flies out of a container, without having them all in your house?

I open the container inside the cham's cage. The flies are pretty photophilic - they're attracted to light - so they'll take off for the basking / UVB lights. Close the door - and the lid of the cup - while the flies are bouncing their heads off the screen, and watch the chams have some fun!

~Bruce

My boys both loved phoenix worms. They are all they are cracked up to be. When you order them or pick them up at a pet store they are in some type of bedding. You can leave them there if you want but I take mine out and put them in a critter keeper with over-ripe fruit/greens. They devour this stuff and grow to at least an inch in length and 1/4 inch wide! To separate them from the fruit mess I just scoop some of it out of the container, plop it into a bowl and add warm water. The maggots float to the top where I scoop them out into the boys serving dishes. The warm water makes them very active and attracts the cham's attention. I get 300 at a time for just under $21 (including shipping) from rainbowmealworns on ebay. They have the best quality worms by far, they are great to deal with and if there has ever been a problem they work hard to make it right.

By the way you can still feed the dark ones to your cham. The darker ones are close to pupating but if they still move once they are warmed up I feed them off. If they are not I just toss them into the bottom of the cage to let them complete their lifecycle and the flies hatch out in the cage. If any do escape they are easier to catch than houseflies. Actually they are very good composters if anyone is in to that. There is quite a bit of information on how to do that on the source of all knowledge (AKA the internet).

Back
Top Bottom