Phoenix Worms as feeders?

mrfixit01

Established Member
I've tried to find other posts about Phoenix Worms but found very little. There have been stories going around the internet about them being high in calcium and not needing to be gut loaded or dusted. I see a site sponsor, Mulberry Farms, sells them. Does anyone have experience with them? Are they good or not? How about suppliers? Thanks. :)

I get them off floridaherps with free shipping and my Jackson's loves them because of how much they wiggle around. I purchased them for my geckos once and then figured I'd see if my Jackson's would eat them too, since he's very picky. I've come to find that they are his favorite meal!

I get them off floridaherps with free shipping and my Jackson's loves them because of how much they wiggle around. I purchased them for my geckos once and then figured I'd see if my Jackson's would eat them too, since he's very picky. I've come to find that they are his favorite meal!

@KyleFitzz Thanks do you still feed & dust as with other feeders? I read that it was not necessary.

I use them and don't dust them but I still dust my other feeders. I tried them with my geckos but they won't touch them.

Nah I don't dust them at all. I may dust them with reptical vitamins soon just so I'm sure he's getting his vitamins. But they aren't his only feeder, I feed him a variety of insects so he gets them dusted. But the Phoenix worms are by far his fav.

I use them and don't dust them but I still dust my other feeders. I tried them with my geckos but they won't touch them.

@ Boldie Thanks. Mine is pretty picky. Refuses to eat crickets, dubias, butterworms. Kinda limits what I can do.

Phoenix Feeders - No Other Opinions?

I've tried to find other posts about Phoenix Worms but found very little. There have been stories going around the internet about them being high in calcium and not needing to be gut loaded or dusted. I see a site sponsor, Mulberry Farms, sells them. Does anyone have experience with them? Are they good or not? How about suppliers? Thanks. :)

So there seems to be very, very little opinion on Phoenix Worms? I've had a few people chime in and tell me they are ok. Are there any 'long-term' users that have found, or not found, these to be adequate feeders?:confused:

Try searching for calci worms, this is another name for them. I would post some links but can't on my phone.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Even if they will not eat them you can save them and they turn into soldier flies which my cham loves

Phoenix Worms are the BEST natural source of calcium you can find in a feeder insect. The cricket contains 345 parts per million calcium, while the Phoenix Worm has 8155 parts per million of calcium.

I look at phoenix worms as a source of natural Calcium, and think you can use them as a regular feeder without any negative side effects.

If you buy from Phoenixworms.com, you will be sure to get the freshest stock. Keep them at 55-60 degrres to maximize their life.If the worms start turning dark, and begin to pupate, leave the cup open in the cage where water won't get into it, and you will have flying calcium rich adults.:D

Phoenix Worms are the BEST natural source of calcium you can find in a feeder insect. The cricket contains 345 parts per million calcium, while the Phoenix Worm has 8155 parts per million of calcium.

I look at phoenix worms as a source of natural Calcium, and think you can use them as a regular feeder without any negative side effects.

If you buy from Phoenixworms.com, you will be sure to get the freshest stock. Keep them at 55-60 degrres to maximize their life.If the worms start turning dark, and begin to pupate, leave the cup open in the cage where water won't get into it, and you will have flying calcium rich adults.:D

Pretty much this. As others have said, they're a good feeder, and can make up a nice portion or any lizards diet. I feed my 12 leopard geckos soldier fly grubs, and they make up to about 50% of their diet. I have encountered instances where the grubs end up undigested, but I'm not sure if chameleons would have this problem. Mine has only eaten a couple so far.

I still recommend you breed them. If you want to start simple, drill a bunch of small holes in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket, and throw a bunch of food scraps in. Use mostly vegetarian/grain based products. Chicken feed works best. You'll attract some pest flies at first, but if it's warm enough soldier flies will arrive and take over the bucket in 2-3 weeks.

40$ for 1000 large phoenix worms? That's money that can be used for silkworms! I easily have 50000+ worms between the couple of buckets I have, and the only time I spend with them is to feed them off and dump trash in.

I live in ontario canada and pheonix are like 15 bucks per 100i have an indoor breeding setup with heat cable and a 6500k light and the will harvest themselves as they are ready to turn and they also sell biopods in the states which are excellent breeding composters!

I live in ontario canada and pheonix are like 15 bucks per 100i have an indoor breeding setup with heat cable and a 6500k light and the will harvest themselves as they are ready to turn and they also sell biopods in the states which are excellent breeding composters!

As far as I know, you can't "breed" them indoors. The adults need access to natural sunlight, plus they find mates in flight, meaning you would need a massive enclosure to breed the adults.

You're in Texas, so think about culturing them. MUCH cheaper than buying them online, and you end up with more than you can ever need. They're EXCELLANT feeders.

www.blacksoldierflyblog.com

@ Jon114, looks like a lot of work. Site Sponsor Mulberry Farms offers 400 mediums delivered for $30. For those of us on busy schedules that's not bad. I pay almost $4/35 for giant mealworms locally and no fuss or muss. Thanks. :p

@ Jon114, looks like a lot of work. Site Sponsor Mulberry Farms offers 400 mediums delivered for $30. For those of us on busy schedules that's not bad. I pay almost $4/35 for giant mealworms locally and no fuss or muss. Thanks. :p

Bucket + scraps.

I don't see how that's a lot of work? :p

You can make it as complicated as you want it, but they're maggots after all.

First Shipment of Phoenix Worms Arrived

OK, so everyone gave me a lot of good feedback. I went ahead and ordered from Mulberry Farms on Monday. They arrived today and look great. I've just put 4 in his feeder cup and will wait to see if he gets them tomorrow. He has a cricket cup but they just sit there and die. He won't eat them. Keep you posted!;):D

i have a kitchen cart with zero shelves and poly wrapped around the entire thing with a rummer maid in the bottom and a 5 gallon bucket for scraps with a heat mat under the rubbermaid where the bucket is. the worms go in the bucket climb the side and harvest themselves when ready the the flies have 2 6500k bulbs on a 12hr cycle and i have had good success with this setup so yes you can breed them indoors you just have to do your research on them. its out there try searching black soldier fly larva. i had started with 300 smalls and i counted out 1500 yesterday that were in the bucket the flies only live 7-10 days and they do mate in flight but it is only a split second it looks like they fly into eachother do a spin about together and flyy thier own way! they will drink water droplets from the sides of the plastic aswell which will help you get that little bit extra life outta them. coragated cardboard rolled up with an elastic suspended just above the food for the females to llay helps also! hope this helps someone out there lol!

Back
Top Bottom