phoenix worm care

ZombieChameleon

So I want to start using phoenix worms as my new staple feeders but I can't find a lot of info on them. I know one site says if you order 1k of them to make sure you can get rid of all of them within 3 weeks but it does not say why or if I have to feed them or anything. So any extra info you guys can give me would be great.

If you buy the phoenix worms they will come in little cups and you don't really have to do anything for them - like butterworms. However, they will die off and when they do it's a strong ammonia smell, which is pretty unpleasant. You could probably throw in some dry bug burger to help gutload them, however I just raise my own.

I bought a contraption (the name escapes me right now), but it's a gray bucket-type thing that has a collection cup on the side. Inside the bucket are 2 slopes that end up at a hole which drops into the collection cup. Just throw vegetable scraps in it, let the local mayflies fly in and poof, you'll have phoenix worms (that's actually a copywritten name, dependent on exactly what species of fly is being bred, however it works for these purposes). Don't ever put meat scraps in there, because vultures will tip over the bucket and make a royal mess (yep, learned that one the hard way).

Keep the bucket outside - you will probably have to quit production in the winter when the flies go into hibernation, however here in FL I can produce all year round. The nice thing is that I know by what I put in there as food as to how they are gutloaded! Good luck! :D

PS Phoenix worms will get pretty expensive pretty quickly, so you may want to consider raising your own during the spring and summer, possibly fall, and then switching to crickets (or dubias) over the winter.

You know the type of fly laying by the worms produced? Mayfly, soldierfly, same thing?

Also you wouldnt happen to have the link to the contraption?

Ahem, they are black solder flys, really popular in the south. They are used in compost heap to rapidly turn garbage into gas and more worms.

As for the contraption its called a biopod.

I never had good luck with them. I bought 100, they all turns to flys and flew away, or never got more than 3 flies at a time so no one bred. The flies dont like to lay eggs on garbage, but near garbage. So they hatch, have 2 weeks to live, lay eggs and die. Guess mine didnt like my style of composter.

Thanks Nightanole! Yep, it's called a biopod, and it cost around $200. I've had pretty good luck, except in winter. I actually would have to feed a lot of them off to my beardies because they were producing so much. We don't cook that much in the house so I'd just buy 5 lb. bags of carrots and some cabbage and cut that up. They seem to like their veggies cut up a little - the carrots are whole, but I 1/4 the cabbage. The last time I checked though 2 little anoles were inside the biopod and I think they feasted on all my little worms before they were able to crawl up their ramp and fall into the collection cup. Let me know if you have any questions! :D

PS Phoenix worms will get pretty expensive pretty quickly, so you may want to consider raising your own during the spring and summer, possibly fall, and then switching to crickets (or dubias) over the winter.

i cant use crickets because this is for my Bearded Dragon and he just wont chase the little guys down. He loves his worms. Right now im spending like 5 bucks every few days because hes just chomping through super worms. i want to try out some roaches but i cant find a site that will sell me more than like 100 and im not interested in making a colony atm. once i move and have a little talk with my girlfriend about how the roaches are "evil death machines" i might then make a roach colony.

i cant use crickets because this is for my Bearded Dragon and he just wont chase the little guys down. He loves his worms. Right now im spending like 5 bucks every few days because hes just chomping through super worms. i want to try out some roaches but i cant find a site that will sell me more than like 100 and im not interested in making a colony atm. once i move and have a little talk with my girlfriend about how the roaches are "evil death machines" i might then make a roach colony.

You could try westcoastroaches.com

I find locally roaches get expensive, if you buy nymphs you can usually get a couple thunderer under 20$ online.

Also, may have to build my own biopod at that price :p

Back
Top Bottom