Petsmart Chameleon...

lau217

After learning about chameleon care and becoming an owner it disgusts me how pet stores care for their chameleons. If you're going to sell a pet you should be prepared to have the correct size cage and correct equipment. also they should advertise correctly as they sell male veiled that can get up to 24" and have a sign saying they only get up to 18".. Ugh anyways..

They've had this one male for about a month now. I can't help to notice how pretty his colors are! What do his colors mean? Is this normal or a sign of stress etc? Also it makes me pretty mad I think he may be getting sunken eyes from dehydration as they only have a bowl of water in his TINY cage.. What do y'all think? I'm not planning on buying him of course as I already own one (not from a pet store). A guy at petco actually told me not to buy from them and sent me to other chameleon places! Should I complain to the manager of their care?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 290
Here is another picture. btw every time I come in he is this pattern and colors!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 262
Welcome to the forums. He's a very handsome young boy and will probably be gorgeous, if well taken care, of when he grows up. Are you in the market for a veiled? It looks like he needs a good home.

After learning about chameleon care and becoming an owner it disgusts me how pet stores care for their chameleons. If you're going to sell a pet you should be prepared to have the correct size cage and correct equipment. also they should advertise correctly as they sell male veiled that can get up to 24" and have a sign saying they only get up to 18".. Ugh anyways..

They've had this one male for about a month now. I can't help to notice how pretty his colors are! What do his colors mean? Is this normal or a sign of stress etc? Also it makes me pretty mad I think he may be getting sunken eyes from dehydration as they only have a bowl of water in his TINY cage.. What do y'all think? I'm not planning on buying him of course as I already own one (not from a pet store). A guy at petco actually told me not to buy from them and sent me to other chameleon places! Should I complain to the manager of their care?

Not to be a downer, but complaining won't do much good. I believe the water bowls in the cages are standard because of inspections (a water bowl tends to tell people that they have visible drinking water in their enclosures); nevertheless, it is still a risk because of stagnant water and bacteria. I as well disagree very much with how chain pet stores deal with their reptiles, but unfortunately it is the way it is.

I think it's really cool that you have an interest in getting him out of there before he develops health problems. Do you know any experienced reptile owners who would be looking for a semi young veiled? If so, you might let them know. From the picture he doesn't look in too bad of shape. You might check to see if he has any marks, bumps, broken/pulled nails, swollen joints, etc. Best of luck :)

Unfortunately no I am not looking for one so I can't take him in and I don't know anyone looking either. He is gorgeous though I've never seen one that is always so pretty. Mine is just always green. I just bought my first field about a month ago.

And he is located in Mt.Pleasant SC!

Sometimes I test the store's staff by acting as if I might be interested in buying the cham. I ask lots of "newbie" questions, ask what supplies I need and ask to see them, and judge the store's care by the answers. After all, I know the right answers, and this helps me decide if the store is doing something out of complete ignorance, bad corporate policy, wilfull carelessness, disinterest in the animal's welfare, etc.

Based on how the "test" goes, I can decide to
a) educate the staff in a helpful friendly manner,
b) complain to the manager,
c) write a letter to the corporation,
d) threaten and report the store immediately to local authorities,
e) boycott the store entirely for any products
f) buy the cham to give it a better life.

If I start chatting about chams with the store employee and sense that they do care and try to tweak corporate policy for the good of the cham, I start trying to help them instead of condemning them. Not all pet shop employees are clueless. Sometimes you find a gem. If they get rude, defensive or dismiss me that's completely different.

There are some reasons a store's cham setup doesn't have to be perfect and other reasons to completely boycott them for cruelty. For example, the setup size may be small, but the cham probably won't be in it long term. The waterbowl upsets us who know better, but it is an inspection compliance thing as mentioned. If the bowl is cleaned daily and the cham is also sprayed correctly, not a huge problem.

Last edited:
Sometimes I test the store's staff by acting as if I might be interested in buying the cham. I ask lots of "newbie" questions, ask what supplies I need and ask to see them, and judge the store's care by the answers. After all, I know the right answers, and this helps me decide if the store is doing something out of complete ignorance, bad corporate policy, wilfull carelessness, disinterest in the animal's welfare, etc.

Based on how the "test" goes, I can decide to
a) educate the staff in a helpful friendly manner,
b) complain to the manager,
c) write a letter to the corporation,
d) threaten and report the store immediately to local authorities,
e) boycott the store entirely for any products
f) buy the cham to give it a better life.

If I start chatting about chams with the store employee and sense that they do care and try to tweak corporate policy for the good of the cham, I start trying to help them instead of condemning them. Not all pet shop employees are clueless. Sometimes you find a gem. If they get rude, defensive or dismiss me that's completely different.

There are some reasons a store's cham setup doesn't have to be perfect and other reasons to completely boycott them for cruelty. For example, the setup size may be small, but the cham probably won't be in it long term. The waterbowl upsets us who know better, but it is an inspection compliance thing as mentioned. If the bowl is cleaned daily and the cham is also sprayed correctly, not a huge problem.

I was lucky to have a nice petsmart here with an employee that actually takes care of the chameleons the best they can provided with the supplies she was given. She was also very educated on them.

Our local Petco is the same way. They house their Chameleons SO WRONG and within weeks of getting one in it will have a "sick" sign on it's tank :( We have made comments before and the manager says that its just the way they are supposed to do all the animals they have. It's insane, especially when right next to these tanks are the RIGHT kind of cages, lights, ect that they are trying to sell to people.

Our local Petco is the same way. They house their Chameleons SO WRONG and within weeks of getting one in it will have a "sick" sign on it's tank :( We have made comments before and the manager says that its just the way they are supposed to do all the animals they have. It's insane, especially when right next to these tanks are the RIGHT kind of cages, lights, ect that they are trying to sell to people.

So they hope to sell a sick animal to people who have a correct setup and assume the cham will get well?

So they hope to sell a sick animal to people who have a correct setup and assume the cham will get well?

I guess so. I don't understand it to be honest. I am not a Chameleon expert or anything but I at least I have the brains to do research before buying a pet. I don't go to Petco or Petsmart anymore, I only deal with local pet stores now. They seem to know a lot more.

I guess so. I don't understand it to be honest. I am not a Chameleon expert or anything but I at least I have the brains to do research before buying a pet. I don't go to Petco or Petsmart anymore, I only deal with local pet stores now. They seem to know a lot more.

It would always seem to me that displaying a correct setup would get more interest from the kind of buyer who is going to get the most out of caring for a cham. Those of us who like learning and creating a more detailed intricate environment with the gadget factor of lighting, fogging, misting, live plants, etc. Different aspects of cham keeping interest different people. Some get into the plants, some into the feeders, some into the cham behaviors, others like the electronics of misting systems and lighting controls. Others prefer creating a mini-forest in their home that happens to have a particular spoiled resident.

But I can also understand a store manager's reluctance....it takes more attention and training to keep a setup like that going. And, takes up product space.

I've assembled 3 full cham cage setups for specialty shops in the past. It was really rewarding and got a lot of attention from customers. Talking to customers during the work was great too and was my soapbox for responsible exotics keeping, trade, importation vs breeding, awareness of disappearing rainforest, you name it. The shop owner and I chose a species and arranged a buy from a breeder. I set up a large Reptarium (I know, I know...but for the purpose it worked), brought in natural barked branches, got wholesale live plants, arranged proper lighting, a fogger, dripper, timers, etc. There were caresheets with sources for the equipment, species info and sources, my contact info for questions, and buyer checklists right next to the display. Each time one buyer ended up taking the entire setup and the cham even though it wasn't required that way. Plus, the shop got a long term customer returning for supplies and feeders.

I will admit I bought my baby veiled cham from Petco and the care they provide is completely wrong! Everything the guy told me to buy to care for a veiled was wrong wrong wrong! I bought mine not knowing much about how to care of one and realized after joining this forum that I needed to correct a lot of things. If it weren't for the people here helping others like me I would have been in a lot of trouble with my baby girl. Yeah girl. The rep for Petco told me she was a he??? I learned months later that he was a she! He didn't even know the gender of my veiled. I am greatful to have her and have been providing the best of care thanks to everyone on this forum. She is beautiful and been a real blessing to have. My opinion is if the cham is young then you still have time to get them the proper care!

It would always seem to me that displaying a correct setup would get more interest from the kind of buyer who is going to get the most out of caring for a cham. Those of us who like learning and creating a more detailed intricate environment with the gadget factor of lighting, fogging, misting, live plants, etc. Different aspects of cham keeping interest different people. Some get into the plants, some into the feeders, some into the cham behaviors, others like the electronics of misting systems and lighting controls. Others prefer creating a mini-forest in their home that happens to have a particular spoiled resident.

But I can also understand a store manager's reluctance....it takes more attention and training to keep a setup like that going. And, takes up product space.

I've assembled 3 full cham cage setups for specialty shops in the past. It was really rewarding and got a lot of attention from customers. Talking to customers during the work was great too and was my soapbox for responsible exotics keeping, trade, importation vs breeding, awareness of disappearing rainforest, you name it. The shop owner and I chose a species and arranged a buy from a breeder. I set up a large Reptarium (I know, I know...but for the purpose it worked), brought in natural barked branches, got wholesale live plants, arranged proper lighting, a fogger, dripper, timers, etc. There were caresheets with sources for the equipment, species info and sources, my contact info for questions, and buyer checklists right next to the display. Each time one buyer ended up taking the entire setup and the cham even though it wasn't required that way. Plus, the shop got a long term customer returning for supplies and feeders.

That sounds like my local pet store! lol The last time I went in there they told me they were really interested in buying my babies from me :) I would much rather deal with them. I am not at all impressed by big chain pet stores. I think my local Petco is probably the worst.

I will admit I bought my baby veiled cham from Petco and the care they provide is completely wrong! Everything the guy told me to buy to care for a veiled was wrong wrong wrong! I bought mine not knowing much about how to care of one and realized after joining this forum that I needed to correct a lot of things. If it weren't for the people here helping others like me I would have been in a lot of trouble with my baby girl. Yeah girl. The rep for Petco told me she was a he??? I learned months later that he was a she! He didn't even know the gender of my veiled. I am greatful to have her and have been providing the best of care thanks to everyone on this forum. She is beautiful and been a real blessing to have. My opinion is if the cham is young then you still have time to get them the proper care!

We bought our Chameleon at a reptile show, but we got almost all of our information from here and Olimpia's blog. Our Petco was useless when it came to information. Very thankful for the forums!

I had similar experience @ petsmart i didnt know much about chams they lady there acted as though she was a professional chameleon keeper who told me to buy a glass inclouser with eco earth at the bottom and instead of a uvb bulb she gave me exo terra natural light bulb and told me to have a heat admiter on him at night and other trips ive went there other employees are just as dumb and are trained apparently to just make sh** up if there not sure of the correct answer one lady told me the ovipositor on the cricket was a penis and that those are the males i will never return to that store again unfortuantly others who dont know any better will buy chameleons from there only for them to die from misinformation its sad really

And people that see that enclosure in the store assume thats the way a chameleon should be housed including there employees im not sure why you was in petsmart but i would find a different place to buy supplies and feeders and such !

Back
Top Bottom