Petsmart Chameleon

InStitches

It seems I have fallen in love with a young female Jackson's Chameleon at my local Petsmart. She is absolutely beautiful and really sweet.

Does anyone know if Petsmart is willing to lower its prices on chams? I can get a nice Jackson from FLChams for $110 shipped, but the one at the store is $135. I think she was on sale at one point, too, but I don't recall the price (maybe about $90). I love her and can definitely stretch to the $135, but I don't really want to since it's Petsmart. :p

I'm not really nervous of her being sold, she's been there for over a month.

Just go there and ask or call them. It can't hurt to try, but if not just order one from online. I've ordered two online, one from a classified on here, and she's an amazing nosy be female. The other I ordered was from backwater reptiles and he is my male Jackson's, also an amazing chameleon. I would look in the classifieds here honestly. You'll meet amazing breeders and get really healthy chameleons.

If you can prove that FL Chams has them priced lower, petsmart might price match because they are a business and won't want to lose the business. Going in there and asking can't hurt :)

thanks guys! I will call and ask them.

I do love the breeders and resources on this site and will probably be getting a panther from the classifies here as well! I love all the gorgeous babies I see posted.

I'm excited :) Ordered supplements and UVB, picking up the screen cage tomorrow. I have my lamps already, and about to go get some foilage/vines. Gotta set up cricket cage, too.

I worked at Petsmart for a while. Print up something from the internet that shows the price from FLChams and take it into the store and ask to speak to the store manager. It's not gtd. that they will price match but its worth a try. You have a better chance if you have something on paper that they can see..:)

They don't generally price match animals. Supplies, yes, but not animals. As others have mentioned it might be worth asking, however.

IMHO I would not buy a chameleon from this store. Those big box pet stores have no business selling such a demanding animal. They seldom have the proper environments for them and this leads to you getting an unhealthy animal that will either die or cost you lots more at the vet. If you buy from them they will replace (supply and demand) it with another victim. This leads to huge death rates among these beautiful creatures. Breeders of these animals tend to put more time, heart and soul into their animals. Im sure others will disagree, just my 2 cents. Good luck.

I agree with you for the most part; in most circumstances, pet stores harm their chams with lack of care. However I spoke to the staff and they have been doing a good job with her - she looks great, well fed and hydrated, and one of the staff I spoke with is someone who really knows her reptiles, I used to talk to her about aquatic turtles (I had RES, she had other sliders). The staff absolutely adore the little cham. They want her out of the store and into a nice big screen cage :)

I wouldn't even consider buying her otherwise!

Just be cautious! I used to work at a petsmart and they really take awful care of the chameleons there. Other animals are kept fine but other than that they really aren't well taken care of.

I think it really depends on the employees in the petsmart. I have a friend who works at a local petsmart who loves and helps care for each chameleon in the store. Their Jackson's and veileds are always healthy. But in other areas the pet stores don't care too much for the chameleons which is outrageously annoying and makes me angry. I won't buy my pets from petsmart or any other large retailer besides lll reptile. But I haven't purchased any live pets from them either. I only go through breeders because they have a passion for chameleons just like I do. If you are passionate about what you do and love these little guys it's much better to support someone who is breeding them on here. That's my opinion

I think it really depends on the employees in the petsmart. I have a friend who works at a local petsmart who loves and helps care for each chameleon in the store. Their Jackson's and veileds are always healthy. But in other areas the pet stores don't care too much for the chameleons which is outrageously annoying and makes me angry. I won't buy my pets from petsmart or any other large retailer besides lll reptile. But I haven't purchased any live pets from them either. I only go through breeders because they have a passion for chameleons just like I do. If you are passionate about what you do and love these little guys it's much better to support someone who is breeding them on here. That's my opinion

And thats the thing, I found myself and my best friend who was working there the only people who cared about the chameleons there and actually gave an effort but when we worked first shift and the other co workers worked later, it made for a not so good environment for the chameleon but from what I know when I was hired, they are trying to get away from people that don't know about pets and are just looking for a job. They do care but they don't invest the proper amount of money into enclosures and cases for them which really affects the health of the chameleons.

Well, I know pet store animals are taboo, but it's too late :D She's home!

IMG_0502.jpg

Her name is Sugar. She's already been fed today and drank as soon as her cage was misted when she got home :)

The pet store employee I spoke with questioned me to make sure I had everything for her and knew that she was more of a display animal than an interactive animal. I explained the setup I have for her and she got really excited. She helped me get her boxed up and told me her manager was really happy that she was going home with me. She has a lot of fans at that store :)

I told them I would bring back photos and let them know how she does ;)

I'm usually not a pet store fan, but the people in this store really do care about Sugar!

I usually go the breeder route - I made sure to get my hedgehogs from breeders that focus on healthy genetic lines, free of WHS (similar to MS in humans).

Speaking off hedgehogs, here are some photos of my spikey balls of death:

Clark the spazzy baby:
IMG_0360.jpg

Quinnlee, a super cuddly retired breeder:
yum.jpg

Glad you got her :) just curious, did they end up doing a price match? And those are some cute hedgies!! My sister has one named samurai :)

I ended up not asking about the price match in-store, I asked corporate and they said they price match for local competitors (in-store prices, not online prices), which FLChams is not.

Thanks, I love my hedgehogs :) Samurai is an adorable hedgehog name!

Back
Top Bottom