Petition to stop Petco from killing Chameleons!

Thanks for the response! I see now that the issue is more complex than just a uncaring corporation. As with most things in life, it's complicated. From what I've heard, petco takes better care of it's chams than Pet Smart. Again, it could just be my store, does anyone here have any experience with Pet Smart Chams? And I'd love to adopt them all, but I've got my hands full with my first cham. He eats so many crickets that it's hard to keep up. Any ideas how to breed crickets/get them cheaper? I can't use mealworms yet, he's only 3 months old and still too small.

I would not plan to rely on mealworms. They are not a nutritious feeder at all. They are also associated with impactions due to high chitin in their exoskeleton.
There are several of the site sponsers that sell crix. I purchased crix from Ghann's cricket farm and have had 500 or so at a time with very little die off so even with what seems like a steep price for shipping it is cheaper in the long run.

Hi I’m a new chameleon owner and new to this site (obviously lol) and I 75% agree with you. I’ve been wanting a chameleon since a i was a kid and had no idea how much work it really was until a week before I got one. So it kind of was an impulse but I also have the money now to pay for his care and needs. (Also why I joined this site. For more advice on how to spoil the s@$t out of him) but the reason I’m commenting is because yes I bought my Jackson’s chameleon at petco. At first I bought a female panther because it’s all they had and I just really wanted one and like an idiot it was an impulse buy. When I got her home I realized she had a f!=#@d up tail and I just wasn’t very happy with the impulse buy because she wasn’t the chameleon I wanted and I know it’s a big commitment. So I brought her back and got 200$ back and still walked away with a very happy younger and fully healthy male Jackson’s chameleon. I still visited everyday cause I felt so bad for her and wanted her to find a good home. Thankfully she did a few days later! Because the chameleons at my petco aren’t as bad as what most have seen.
They were in horizontal but big tanks! And had maybe one or two bendy vines, a dropped and a fake plant or two. But either wood chips or substrate on the bottom not sure.
They go pretty quickly which actually worries me more because it’s in a bad neighborhood which means poor people who probably don’t have the commitment and knowledge and funds to care for them. But I may be judging too harshly. I bought mine there after all. Plus there are at least 3 very nice employees I got to know over my trips to buy crickets they have or had chameleons before and helped me start up really well.
So in conclusion I think all petstores are different. Mine wasn’t perfect but it wasn’t animal abuse either. Like I said I’m more worried about where they’re going after they leave the petstore.
(Also if any of you can direct me to where I can start posting a newbie post of my own asking for specific help and stuff on what exactly to get and do to make my little Durnehviir as happy and healthy as possible that would be amazing! Thank you.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi I’m a new chameleon owner and new to this site (obviously lol) and I 75% agree with you. I’ve been wanting a chameleon since a i was a kid and had no idea how much work it really was until a week before I got one. So it kind of was an impulse but I also have the money now to pay for his care and needs. (Also why I joined this site. For more advice on how to spoil the shit out of him) but the reason I’m commenting is because yes I bought my Jackson’s chameleon at petco. At first I bought a female panther because it’s all they had and I just really wanted one and like an idiot it was an impulse buy. When I got her home I realized she had a fucked up tail and I just wasn’t very happy with the impulse buy because she wasn’t the chameleon I wanted and I know it’s a big commitment. So I brought her back and got 200$ back and still walked away with a very happy younger and fully healthy male Jackson’s chameleon. I still visited everyday cause I felt so bad for her and wanted her to find a good home. Thankfully she did a few days later! Because the chameleons at my petco aren’t as bad as what most have seen.
They were in horizontal but big tanks! And had maybe one or two bendy vines, a dropped and a fake plant or two. But either wood chips or substrate on the bottom not sure.
They go pretty quickly which actually worries me more because it’s in a bad neighborhood which means poor people who probably don’t have the commitment and knowledge and funds to care for them. But I may be judging too harshly. I bought mine there after all. Plus there are at least 3 very nice employees I got to know over my trips to buy crickets they have or had chameleons before and helped me start up really well.
So in conclusion I think all petstores are different. Mine wasn’t perfect but it wasn’t animal abuse either. Like I said I’m more worried about where they’re going after they leave the petstore.
(Also if any of you can direct me to where I can start posting a newbie post of my own asking for specific help and stuff on what exactly to get and do to make my little Durnehviir as happy and healthy as possible that would be amazing! Thank you.)
You are posting to a topic from 2013, I don't think you'll get much response from posters above as I don't think any of them is still an active member.

I’m not defending them. I’m just saying how my experience was. Believe me when I worked there I hated it! They wouldn’t let me give better care to the animals and it drove me crazy! I was just saying the Chams at mine weren’t in bad housing and the workers had experience with them before.

I’m not defending them. I’m just saying how my experience was. Believe me when I worked there I hated it! They wouldn’t let me give better care to the animals and it drove me crazy! I was just saying the Chams at mine weren’t in bad housing and the workers had experience with them before.
I mean, from the way you described their enclosure, it sounds just like how they decorate the cham enclosures in every petco, which is cheap and and thrown together. Recently someone started a thread, I'm not naming names, about how chain pet stores aren't that bad, and I am just trying to say that they actually are, no matter what for one main reason.

Stores like Petco are franchised, so they are all monetarily connected. When you buy from a chain store that seems to have 'good' care, you are also simultaneously supporting the many, many other franchises within that company, wherever they may be located. Plus, the majority of chain pet store franchises have atrocious care, so buying from the scarce few that treat their animals remotely decent will be just like buying from the horrible ones. There really isn't much of a difference when it comes to buying from different chain pet stores under the same company name, such as Petco.

Ah okay I get what you’re saying. That makes sense. And I’m sorry I came off like I was defending them. I did say I agree 75%. But I said it wasn’t as bad because I was reading some posts that said some were in the smallest tanks and like really sick and suffering and that’s the only reason I said it wasn’t that bad. Compared to that it was okay. But compared to how they should be treated then yes the enclosures there are not great. I’ve noticed a lot on this forum a lot of people read posts very fast and then get very riled up and quickly judge and are rude to people not taking a minute to slow down and read the what they’re saying and think for a moment to process everything they say and don’t ask other questions either. They just quickly read get mad at reading something the wrong way and judge in a very rude way. I’m just saying this because it’s been seen a lot on this website and I’ve only been here a day. I don’t think I’m acting or saying anything in anyway to be told I’m completely wrong or ignorant and being told that I’m posting to old posts that no one will reply to when people are already replying isn’t really that polite. I’m just stating an opinion and what I’ve seen so far. As a new comer to this forum I don’t think I’m being treated politely. I don’t mind other also stating how they feel and voicing what they want to say but I’m very big on understanding everyone’s views and accepting them. Also I’d like to just add I hate all big corporations so don’t tell me I’m defending the Corp. Jesus I didn’t think I’d have to make a post like this right away. I just want to meet other people who love chameleons as much as I love my little guy. And wanted to learn as much as I can so I can give my little Cham the best life he could possibly have and some time later be the one to pass it on to others and compare cute little chameleon pictures and so forth...

Ah okay I get what you’re saying. That makes sense. And I’m sorry I came off like I was defending them. I did say I agree 75%. But I said it wasn’t as bad because I was reading some posts that said some were in the smallest tanks and like really sick and suffering and that’s the only reason I said it wasn’t that bad. Compared to that it was okay. But compared to how they should be treated then yes the enclosures there are not great. I’ve noticed a lot on this forum a lot of people read posts very fast and then get very riled up and quickly judge and are rude to people not taking a minute to slow down and read the what they’re saying and think for a moment to process everything they say and don’t ask other questions either. They just quickly read get mad at reading something the wrong way and judge in a very rude way. I’m just saying this because it’s been seen a lot on this website and I’ve only been here a day. I don’t think I’m acting or saying anything in anyway to be told I’m completely wrong or ignorant and being told that I’m posting to old posts that no one will reply to when people are already replying isn’t really that polite. I’m just stating an opinion and what I’ve seen so far. As a new comer to this forum I don’t think I’m being treated politely. I don’t mind other also stating how they feel and voicing what they want to say but I’m very big on understanding everyone’s views and accepting them. Also I’d like to just add I hate all big corporations so don’t tell me I’m defending the Corp. Jesus I didn’t think I’d have to make a post like this right away. I just want to meet other people who love chameleons as much as I love my little guy. And wanted to learn as much as I can so I can give my little Cham the best life he could possibly have and some time later be the one to pass it on to others and compare cute little chameleon pictures and so forth...
By all means, I don't think anyone meant to be rude to you. From what I read, which I read thoroughly, everyone was just speaking their mind, which they are encouraged to do. Just because someone disagreed with what you had to say doesn't mean they were being mean or 'judging you in a very rude way'. The literal definition of a 'forum' is a particular place where ideas and opinions can be exchanged, which is exactly what took place here.

We would definitely enjoy another chameleon lover to this forum, and I believe that members were just exchanging perspectives with you. Please remember that the Petco/Petsmart argument has been going on for quite a long time, and it is a topic that sparks much debate between people, and CF member especially.
We understand that you are a new comer, and welcome you to the forums.
And if you really believe that Petco doesn't treat their animals too bad, you are entitled to your own opinion and can certainly argue that point, even if there are many people that disagree. It is all part of being a member of a forum, in which I might add, this forum is a great one :)

People generally try to alert people that they are on old threads because often the people that posted on them back in they day will never know to respond to your question comment. Don't want you to think you've been forgotten or are being snubbed.

Hiya, I'm actually an employee of PetSmart and agree hundred percent. I even am lucky enough to work in one where most of the pet care employees now quite a bit, that being said a little less on the chameleon side. Its frustrating a great deal to us knowing that the husbandry we have is so off for many of our pets, but can't do anything because its corporate policy. During my short time there, 6 months, we've had I think four baby Veiled Chameleon's die. Often to respiratory infection or MBD, which we've actually started to catch onto since I've kinda told everyone what to watch out for. In all honestly they actually come to us in poor health as well. We have a little guy in the back right now that came in yesterday with swollen eyes, and the last one came in with an RI. It's incredibly frustrating, and I wish corporate would actually do something about it and stop just trying to get new dog food brands in the store.

Edit: Oh, this post is from 2013....oops

Back
Top Bottom