Pet Shop Rescue???!!!

im in an email war with patsmart right now too. it never ends and its worldwide. it is such a viscous cycle. the chameleon is cared for wrong in the store sold to an uninformed owner and eventually killed meanwhile the store has already filled the empty spot with its next victim. i cant imagine having to work there, i didnt take it up with anyone in the store i emailed corporate and got an automated response. its so frustrating. i will go back next week for crix and if its not updated i guess i will call them. whats even more disappointing is i worked for the company when i was sixteen and im pretty sure my complaints wont take me anywhere. they had him in a 5 gallon glass cage, substrate in the bottom with a log and a water dish, low humidity...poor vieled. I picked up their care sheet to see what it suggested and it said a large screen enclosure with a dripper, mist 3 times daily and no substrate. Funny that the little information they do provide to owners they cant even follow themselves.

im in an email war with patsmart right now too. it never ends and its worldwide. it is such a viscous cycle. the chameleon is cared for wrong in the store sold to an uninformed owner and eventually killed meanwhile the store has already filled the empty spot with its next victim. i cant imagine having to work there, i didnt take it up with anyone in the store i emailed corporate and got an automated response. its so frustrating. i will go back next week for crix and if its not updated i guess i will call them. whats even more disappointing is i worked for the company when i was sixteen and im pretty sure my complaints wont take me anywhere. they had him in a 5 gallon glass cage, substrate in the bottom with a log and a water dish, low humidity...poor vieled. I picked up their care sheet to see what it suggested and it said a large screen enclosure with a dripper, mist 3 times daily and no substrate. Funny that the little information they do provide to owners they cant even follow themselves.

Wow! :confused:

i was in the petsmart they recently built here about a week ago and noticed they had a panther chamleon in a tiny cage probly something like 12x12x12 glass enclosure there was one stick and two hide boxes and a water dish with very shallow water in it. the poor cham was laying on the ground and i knew it was dead. i was soo fustrated by seeing this i found the first employee i could see and started giving them an ear full they went and got the manager and he tried to play it off as the chameleon must have been sick befor they got it... i walked away while he was in mid sentence and i began grabing everything you need for a proper cage such as a book on panther chameleons, mesh cage, repti 5.0, jungle vines, misting bottle , suppliments etc piled it all up infront of the poor little guys tank and said if you end up ordering another panther (which i dont think you should) this is what you need.. and basically told him where to go from there... im usually not one to cuase conflict but im so sick of seeing it i cant help but say something anymore.

i have also voiced care in a petsmart to a manager to be told he has no control over how the cages are set up "its the way corporate wants them".

It's seriously not worth your time/effort to try to save the animal.
The biggest effect you can have on the store is to let the animal die in their care so they lose the value of the poorly cared for cham.

It already seems clear that you wont be able to argue down the price. By 'saving' it, you just open up space for another one to be cared for in the same way.

You sadly can't save them all and it's bad shops that will always run a negative light on the good ones.
I agree if you buy that cham another one will just take its place sadly. I also know of a shop that treats reptiles in such a bad away i reported them and never heard nothing back, i guess the place i reported the shop to didn't know much about reptiles either and didn't see it as such a problem so did nothing. I now don't set foot in that shop because it breaks my heart and i come out angry and upset. The only way a shop will really close down is if the shop starts having deaths and then more people will take notice and see how badly those animals are being treated.

If it dies in their care, they are probably gonna replace it, so I say why not recscue one, especially if you know what you are doing and can give it a good home and the proper care. I say go for it!! Save a life! JMHO!!!:D

If you 'save a life' you encourage them to treat animals like that. You show them there is a market for malnourished, poorly kept, almost dead animals. If they realize there is no market for such animals they will stop ordering them. Why would they stop ordering them if you showed them there was a demand for such animals? IMO that would be foolish, cruel, and illogical. Save one, kill ten? No thanks.

Back
Top Bottom