Persistant Eye Problems

Woodinville

Hey gang....one of my 4 pygmy brevs has had his eyes stuck shut for about 3 weeks now. It seems that one eye may be able to get un-stuck, and open, but before long it's glued shut again. I've tried neosporin ointment on his eyes, and it seemed to help temporarily, only to close again. He's eating, but his eyes aren't healthy looking. The other 3 pygs are absolutely fine, with clear, bright eyes. Any info and input would be appreciated. Tim

The petroleum like nature of neosporin isn't helping the issue long term. Use a product called Tobramycin Opthalmic Solution. It is a antibiotic designed for use on eyes and is not "goopy". Some members also use Terramycin, but I wouldn't recommend it over Tobramycin.

Tobramycin Opthalmic Solution requires a prescription from a vet :(
Once you have a "scrip" you can buy it online.

It's a 36" Exo Terra hood. There are 3 spiral lights. 2 of them are 2.0, and the other one, in the middle socket is 5.0. They're Reptisun. I have the terrarium well planted, so there's shade and darker areas for them to go hide in. I'l try that Tobramycin Opthalmic Solution. Do you think that's too much light? I've read that some have 5.0, but that 2.0 is all that's necessary. I figured I'd split the difference.

Wow, I didn't realize that. It seems strange that exo terra and zoo med would even make bulbs like that if they're bad for herps.

Back
Top Bottom