Pawing

He eats at least 4 large crickets and a couple worms since he's been doing it it's been about 3 4 days but before he was pawing it was 10 crickets or more

This is him when he first got delivered to me

Attachments

• IMG_20210216_233633.jpg
    IMG_20210216_233633.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 153
First and foremost, if he is showing extremes signs of stress and not eating he needs a vet asap.

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - veiled chameleon, male, it's a juvenile so probably about 6 months old in my care for a little over a month.
Handling - never he hides when I open the door you stated you take him out of the enclosure everyday, that is considering handling.
Feeding - crickets hornworms and wax worms about 10 crickets when he wants to eat provide them everyday but he doesn't eat everyday put the food in about 4 in the afternoon cause I work and take them out around 7 vegetables potatoes greens carrots
I attached feeding and gutloading information. I'm not sure if this is saying you feed your cham veggies or if this is what you are gutloading with. How much is he eating daily?

Supplements - reptical and reptivite with d3 reprisal every feeding and reptivite every two weeks
does the daily calcium have d3 in it? He will need a quality phosphorus free calcium without d3 daily. Reptivite w d3 every two weeks is good.

Watering - little dropper and hand mist for about 40 seconds 3 to 4 times a day fogger at night and yes I see him drink
you need a longer misting session in the morning and a longer one in the evening. I would do before lights go on and right before lights go off. 3-4 minutes of misting in the am to make sure your humidity stays throughout the day. And a heavier mist in the evening for him to sleep about 5-6 minutes.

Fecal Description - white with a brown middle looks like a mix of human and bird matter and I don't know if he's been tested for parasites got him from cb reptile
unfortunately cbreptiles is not a reputable place for purchasing chams. You should take him to the vet to have him tested for parasites. Especially if he isn't eating.
History - Nothing that I can think of
Cage Info:

Cage Type - mesh cage 16x16x30 This is incredibly too small. You will want a minimum of 2x2x4. This changes needs to be immediate.
Lighting - reptisun t5 ho and a 45 incandescent for heat light turns on about 8:45am and off at 8:45pm
What type of bulb do you have? You want the appropriate basking distance for which bulb you are using, which in your enclosure you are not doing. I have attached the basking info below.
Temperature - 90 at the basking and about 72 at the bottom lowest night temp probably 69 have a digital thermometer
This is too hot for him. The temp for a veiled should not exceed 85. Around 80-82 is what's advised. I attached a link to veiled care.

Humidity - humidity gauge it's about 40 and at night I must a lot to get it around 90
what are you doing to keep the humidity up in the day? With your current enclosure and one fake plants I doubt it's staying 40.

Plants - none just a fake ficus tree
no fake plants for veileds. They tend to eat their plants and having fake plants is a risk of impaction which can be fatal for your cham. I attached veiled safe plants below.

Placement - in a corner about 4 feet from heating duct not a high traffic area just 2 people in the house and we are hardly home top of cage it's about 5 feet from the ground
Location - Michigan

Current Problem - goes to the bottom and is pawing at his cage

This would be a good resource for you :

https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/

as well as this one. Please read through and makes these changes asap.
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

@Beman @ERKleRose , this was my first time filling this out with feedback, if I missed anything please let me know so I know in the future.

Attachments

• 74859686-15C0-43D3-A26D-9B6096C6B118.jpeg
    74859686-15C0-43D3-A26D-9B6096C6B118.jpeg
    210.8 KB · Views: 136
  • 437A5099-DC01-47D8-BE88-5B0BB4F8DD0F.jpeg
    437A5099-DC01-47D8-BE88-5B0BB4F8DD0F.jpeg
    206.9 KB · Views: 143
  • E86C027C-A8F7-4BD6-8FBF-6E0A6601E4B4.jpeg
    E86C027C-A8F7-4BD6-8FBF-6E0A6601E4B4.jpeg
    929 KB · Views: 136
  • 3538E654-88BB-41BA-BB2B-E7AE52CC1726.jpeg
    3538E654-88BB-41BA-BB2B-E7AE52CC1726.jpeg
    200.8 KB · Views: 139
  • 5EC108E7-5AF7-43AB-A555-8AEF67AD2F61.jpeg
    5EC108E7-5AF7-43AB-A555-8AEF67AD2F61.jpeg
    208.7 KB · Views: 134
First and foremost, if he is showing extremes signs of stress and not eating he needs a vet asap.

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - veiled chameleon, male, it's a juvenile so probably about 6 months old in my care for a little over a month.
Handling - never he hides when I open the door you stated you take him out of the enclosure everyday, that is considering handling. (No I never take him out cause when I open the door he hides all I'm doing is putting food in there.)
Feeding - crickets hornworms and wax worms about 10 crickets when he wants to eat provide them everyday but he doesn't eat everyday put the food in about 4 in the afternoon cause I work and take them out around 7 vegetables potatoes greens carrots
I attached feeding and gutloading information. I'm not sure if this is saying you feed your cham veggies or if this is what you are gutloading with. How much is he eating daily? (That's gut loading lol)

Supplements - reptical and reptivite with d3 reprisal every feeding and reptivite every two weeks
does the daily calcium have d3 in it? He will need a quality phosphorus free calcium without d3 daily. Reptivite w d3 every two weeks is good.( The calcium doesn't have d3 what's a good 1)

Watering - little dropper and hand mist for about 40 seconds 3 to 4 times a day fogger at night and yes I see him drink
you need a longer misting session in the morning and a longer one in the evening. I would do before lights go on and right before lights go off. 3-4 minutes of misting in the am to make sure your humidity stays throughout the day. And a heavier mist in the evening for him to sleep about 5-6 minutes.( ok I can do that)

Fecal Description - white with a brown middle looks like a mix of human and bird matter and I don't know if he's been tested for parasites got him from cb reptile
unfortunately cbreptiles is not a reputable place for purchasing chams. You should take him to the vet to have him tested for parasites. Especially if he isn't eating.
History - Nothing that I can think of(ok will do)
Cage Info:

Cage Type - mesh cage 16x16x30 This is incredibly too small. You will want a minimum of 2x2x4. This changes needs to be immediate. (The 1 from dragon strand doesn't ship till beginning of march)
Lighting - reptisun t5 ho and a 45 incandescent for heat light turns on about 8:45am and off at 8:45pm
What type of bulb do you have? You want the appropriate basking distance for which bulb you are using, which in your enclosure you are not doing. I have attached the basking info below. (I'm using a incandescent house light 45 watt and 90 is at the top above his head how am I not doing it)
Temperature - 90 at the basking and about 72 at the bottom lowest night temp probably 69 have a digital thermometer
This is too hot for him. The temp for a veiled should not exceed 85. Around 80-82 is what's advised. I attached a link to veiled care.

Humidity - humidity gauge it's about 40 and at night I must a lot to get it around 90
what are you doing to keep the humidity up in the day? With your current enclosure and one fake plants I doubt it's staying 40. ( humidity never goes below 35 even if I don't mist my house is just like that I'm in michigan)

Chameleon Info:

Handling - never he hides when I open the door you stated you take him out of the enclosure everyday, that is considering handling. (No I never take him out cause when I open the door he hides all I'm doing is putting food in there.)
I attached feeding and gutloading information. I'm not sure if this is saying you feed your cham veggies or if this is what you are gutloading with. How much is he eating daily? (That's gut loading lol)

does the daily calcium have d3 in it? He will need a quality phosphorus free calcium without d3 daily. Reptivite w d3 every two weeks is good.( The calcium doesn't have d3 what's a good 1)

you need a longer misting session in the morning and a longer one in the evening. I would do before lights go on and right before lights go off. 3-4 minutes of misting in the am to make sure your humidity stays throughout the day. And a heavier mist in the evening for him to sleep about 5-6 minutes.( ok I can do that)

History - Nothing that I can think of(ok will do)
Cage Info:

Cage Type - mesh cage 16x16x30 This is incredibly too small. You will want a minimum of 2x2x4. This changes needs to be immediate. (The 1 from dragon strand doesn't ship till beginning of march)
What type of bulb do you have? You want the appropriate basking distance for which bulb you are using, which in your enclosure you are not doing. I have attached the basking info below. (I'm using a incandescent house light 45 watt and 90 is at the top above his head how am I not doing it)

what are you doing to keep the humidity up in the day? With your current enclosure and one fake plants I doubt it's staying 40. ( humidity never goes below 35 even if I don't mist my house is just like that I'm in michigan)
Sorry about the handling part, I read another post right before yours and confused someone putting their cham on a plant to yours. Your handling is fine.

I think once you fix these issues his quality of life will improve.

For supplements I use as well is reptical.

Your lighting distances and basking area need to be corrected

You need to read through the links so you can set up your enclosure appropriately, please read through every module om the husbandry program I included in the message above so you can learn everything you need to.

If you have any more questions once putting everything together, feel free to come back for another review.

Chameleon Info:

Handling - never he hides when I open the door you stated you take him out of the enclosure everyday, that is considering handling.
I attached feeding and gutloading information. I'm not sure if this is saying you feed your cham veggies or if this is what you are gutloading with. How much is he eating daily?

does the daily calcium have d3 in it? He will need a quality phosphorus free calcium without d3 daily. Reptivite w d3 every two weeks is good.

you need a longer misting session in the morning and a longer one in the evening. I would do before lights go on and right before lights go off. 3-4 minutes of misting in the am to make sure your humidity stays throughout the day. And a heavier mist in the evening for him to sleep about 5-6 minutes.

History - Nothing that I can think of
Cage Info:

Cage Type - mesh cage 16x16x30 This is incredibly too small. You will want a minimum of 2x2x4. This changes needs to be immediate.
What type of bulb do you have? You want the appropriate basking distance for which bulb you are using, which in your enclosure you are not doing. I have attached the basking info below.

what are you doing to keep the humidity up in the day? With your current enclosure and one fake plants I doubt it's staying 40.

Plants - none just a fake ficus tree
no fake plants for veileds. They tend to eat their plants and having fake plants is a risk of impaction which can be fatal for your cham. I attached veiled safe plants below.

Placement - in a corner about 4 feet from heating duct not a high traffic area just 2 people in the house and we are hardly home top of cage it's about 5 feet from the ground
Location - Michigan

Current Problem - goes to the bottom and is pawing at his cage

This would be a good resource for you :

https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/

as well as this one. Please read through and makes these changes asap.
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

@Beman @ERKleRose , this was my first time filling this out with feedback, if I missed anything please let me know so I know in the future.
Awesome, the only thing I’d change is to not use the outdated gutload chart!

Back
Top Bottom