Parson's craze

Chuck G

Avid Member
Whats up with all the parson's availability? Years ago you couldn't find anything and now they are everywhere. I admit I couldn't resist as I have purchased 5 in the past year.They are wonderful chameleons but require a much different approach than panthers for anyone thinking about buying one.

Whats up with all the parson's availability?

I will venture a guess that won't make me very popular in some circles.

Smugglers are getting better at sneaking eggs and animals out of Madagascar.

Maybe I would believe that these animals are CB, but.. well, I don't.

The money in them makes for a pretty healthy incentive, and probably makes it easier not to ask any questions about where they came from.

Germans breed a lot of Parson...... and very successful too... in USA, hardly anyone breed them, thats why they are hard to get in the states. Usually Reptile Underground will import some from Europe.... if you understand japanese... you can even get very very cheap CB parson from Japan!! i have seen some classified in Japan selling Parson for 1/4 the price sold in the states !!

I'd like to know where he picked them up too.
I've been looking for a nice pair or trio for some time now (all the ones currently offered here in the US on Kingsnake and CCIC are related and a bit high on price)
They can be bought in Germany for $400 to $500 each! The problem is getting them here.
I have made a good friend in Germany who is trying to help me obtain some true cbb specimens but obtaining the proper CITES export permit takes time.

I've just so happen to have some friends in Japan, it's too bad I'm not ready for parsonii.
Is your friend in the hobby? If so, any chance you could ask your friend if they would be willing to help us obtain some legal cbb parsonii?
I'd love to get as diverse bloodlines as possible.
Thank you!

"Whats up with all the parson's availability? Years ago you couldn't find anything and now they are everywhere. I admit I couldn't resist as I have purchased 5 in the past year.They are wonderful chameleons but require a much different approach than panthers for anyone thinking about buying one."

I've only done reading on Parson's but have never even seen one in person. How different are they? What perameters need to change? Are they just more shy? Light? Humidity? Temp? Please elaborate (any parson's keepers). I do hope to have one in the future but would like to hear first hand what makes them harder to keep. (I've read much about their environment in the wild, but this doesn't always translate to captivity.)

Is your friend in the hobby? If so, any chance you could ask your friend if they would be willing to help us obtain some legal cbb parsonii?
I'd love to get as diverse bloodlines as possible.
Thank you!

Sean, sorry to say none of my friends overseas care anything at all about chameleons. I'm not sure they'd even know where to look and if they did I'd be afraid to open a package and find a panther!

I'll let you know if I happen to talk to any of those guys.

I haven't kept Parson's for a few years now...but I'll tell you what I remember.

Parson' don't move around as much as other chameleons do...and when they do they seem to be quite slow. They remind me of sloths....plodding along if they have to move...mind you, they can move if they want to! Adults will often only move to eat, drink or defecate. They don't seem to bask much.

Any time I would carry one around it seemed like if I moved too quickly it confused it.

They were big drinkers and it takes a lot to keep them fed due to their size.

They like cooler temperatures than species like veileds...but can tolerate hotter days for a while as long as they are well-hydrated.

Back
Top Bottom