Parson's chameleons...

I think this is an updated article. There are a couple of inaccuracies. However much improved from the original one that was posted.

That for the link.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

What are the inaccuracies Jeremy? If you mention them then whoever else reads this will know too! :)

There were a couple of detail thing that were off. The main one I recall was that Parson's Chameleons have zygodactyl feet with two toes on each side on both front and back feet. I am certain that Calumma parsonii parsonii have got two toes on one side and three toes on the other on both the front and back feet. There were just some detail thing similar to that.

This is a old photo of Rhino's to show (you have to look) two and three toes on both the front and back feet. The photo does not show two toes on the back feet. However that was never in debat.

zU6jO9.jpg

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

All the chameleon species I've seen have the toes like the Parson's. Do you know of any that don't?

Kinyonga

Exactly. However the article was about Parsons Chameleons Calumma parsonii ssp. meaning I only addressed that species. The article had some good information (Natural Life History About Calumma Parsonii SSP. in The Wild) and was an improvment from the first issue posted. However there are some detais that are off. Details that anyone who has had significant amount of time with Calumma parsonii ssp. or chameleons would notice are not accurate.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

You said..."the article was about Parsons Chameleons Calumma parsonii ssp. meaning I only addressed that species"...exactly.

You said..."there are some detais that are off. Details that anyone who has had significant amount of time with Calumma parsonii ssp. or chameleons would notice are not accurate"...it would be good to point out the inaccuracies so that not only would people familiar with the species would know the errors...but people who don't know would learn what is not accurate IMHO.
I was hoping you would point out the inaccuracies. :)

You said..."the article was about Parsons Chameleons Calumma parsonii ssp. meaning I only addressed that species"...exactly.

You said..."there are some detais that are off. Details that anyone who has had significant amount of time with Calumma parsonii ssp. or chameleons would notice are not accurate"...it would be good to point out the inaccuracies so that not only would people familiar with the species would know the errors...but people who don't know would learn what is not accurate IMHO.
I was hoping you would point out the inaccuracies. :)

I did point out inaccuracies. I pointed out that Parsons Chameleons have got five toe's not four toe's on their front and back feet. If you want me to correct the entire article. I can look at the article again more tomorrow Linda. There were other details that were off. I rather not make a stink out of a good article though.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
No problem Jeremy...it's fine the way it is.

What about this...."Plant Foods leaves, wood, bark, or stems" as part of the diet? None of mine ever nibbled on ant of these.

Last edited:
No problem Jeremy...it's fine the way it is.

What about this...."Plant Foods leaves, wood, bark, or stems" as part of the diet? None of mine ever nibbled on ant of these.

That is a detail that is off as well. All the twelve years I have kept Calumma parsonii parsonii I have only seen a Calumma parsonii ssp. consume plant matter once. I think Rhinos was aiming at a cricket and got a small piece of bark.

That would be a good study to have on a PDF to officially confirm though, if offered would Calumma parsonii ssp would consume plant matter (fruit/veggies).

Your articles you post Kinyonga, if you want I could make notes and point out inaccuracies in the articles I read. I could start reviewing some of these posts.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
You said..."Your articles you post Kinyonga, if you want I could make notes and point out inaccuracies in the articles I read. I could start reviewing some of these posts"...it would likely help a lot of people including me. I read most of what I post but usually leave the links up to people to decide the value of the information for the most part. I likely should comment more myself on things included in them.

You said..."Your articles you post Kinyonga, if you want I could make notes and point out inaccuracies in the articles I read. I could start reviewing some of these posts"...it would likely help a lot of people including me. I read most of what I post but usually leave the links up to people to decide the value of the information for the most part. I likely should comment more myself on things included in them.

Sounds like progress. I shall start making reviews of inaccuracies when and if I locate any. Kinyonga I look forward to reading your notes too.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

The article mentions the average and expected life span of captive Parsons is only 1-4 years. I thought Parsons (with proper care, of course) can be expected to have a much longer lifespan.
I saw that and was wondering, as well.

That was another big attention to detail/data that was off too. The article should have said some of this nature quoting me (Motherlode Chameleon) "know captive specimens can live upwards of 16 years of age (Manchen, 2021) and wild caught specimens can live a reported over 25 years of age (Prank, 2020)".

The life history was okay. They cited a lot of references with their observations and had some great observations in the field of Madagascar. The observation that Calumma parsonii parsonii move into Coffee orchards when the Coffee tree's bloom to hunt pollinating moths was an interesting observation. Calumma parsonii parsonii have seasonal migrations/movements?!? I recall there was a reference cited for that observation too.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

You said..."Calumma parsonii parsonii have seasonal migrations/movements?!? I recall there was a reference cited for that observation too."...interesting that they might migrate. I've never heard that before...but that doesn't surprise me.

Back
Top Bottom