Parson Brumation

I will be getting a White lip Parsons in October(end of the month) wondering about Brumation. Plan will be to keep him/her outside during the summer months (I live in South Dakota) and inside during our winter months. What temps/lighting/water/vitamins are people giving during this winter period? I know they slow way down, hardly move and can stop eating all together. I do have the ability in my finished basement to achieve temps in the mid 50s (and I can obviously make it warmer as well). I would appreciate any information or just general Parson information. Thanks!!!!

Hey sorry I haven't responded yet. Don't worry once I have a few I'll fill you in on what I do. Motherlode and action jackson know a lot about them, hopefully they can chime in too

Congratulations on you new Orange eye. I have been keeping Parson’s outside for years but I live in one of the best places in the US to do it. I would be careful taking you new baby too low in the winter. I usually keep the babies I produce inside and they see Winter night temps in the low 60‘s and perhaps the high 50’s but day temps are usually in the mid 70’s. Lights are adjusted always to what the current dawn and dusk times are. Water is reduced to some degree but again you have to be careful with young ones and make sure you aren’t dehydrating them. If a Parson’s is properly brumating then it will not be eating in Winter.

I’m Primo Chameleons on FB and also have babies. Hit me up if you like on there.

Congratulations on you new Orange eye. I have been keeping Parson’s outside for years but I live in one of the best places in the US to do it. I would be careful taking you new baby too low in the winter. I usually keep the babies I produce inside and they see Winter night temps in the low 60‘s and perhaps the high 50’s but day temps are usually in the mid 70’s. Lights are adjusted always to what the current dawn and dusk times are. Water is reduced to some degree but again you have to be careful with young ones and make sure you aren’t dehydrating them. If a Parson’s is properly brumating then it will not be eating in Winter.

I’m Primo Chameleons on FB and also have babies. Hit me up if you like on there.
I appreciate your reply, I have been told that you dont NEED to put your Parsons through brumation unless you are breeding. In your experience is this correct? I would prefer not to put them through it until they are older if at all. I dont want to put any extra stress on a baby.

I appreciate your reply, I have been told that you dont NEED to put your Parsons through brumation unless you are breeding. In your experience is this correct? I would prefer not to put them through it until they are older if at all. I dont want to put any extra stress on a baby.
I don’t think it’s necessary. I breed Parson’s so it’s important for me to keep the females on a seasonal schedule. I do allow all my Parson’s to brumate except the young ones.

I don’t think it’s necessary. I breed Parson’s so it’s important for me to keep the females on a seasonal schedule. I do allow all my Parson’s to brumate except the young ones.
Thank you so much for the information. I am planning to have a large custom cage for him/her, just wondering if you suggest to keep the baby in a smaller enclosure for the first 6months to a year? By smaller I am thinking 2'x2'x4'?

Back
Top Bottom