Panther's back legs weak

0zzy

Thanks so much for the help. I just took out all of the substrate and added a fake plant and 4 vines. It looks better already. I mist the plants at least twice a day. If he is thirsty he will come to the top of the cage and actually lick as we are spraying him. It is really cute. Thanks again. Cindy

Cindy, you are welcome but what about his back legs? What is he doing now with them? Also, for future health of you chameleon I would get rid of that Zilla desert series light. Most of us use the Reptisun 5.0 tube light made by Zoomed. Not saying the light has anything to do with the legs but that light is really not made for chameleons.

ozzy

I added a thick vine near his feed bowl/sunning pad and he is stretched with his chin and front legs on the vine and his butt and hind legs on the perch.

please please get rid of that zilla desert series. they are made more for bearded dragons who stay at the bottom. chameleons climb too close to the lights and those lights are known to cause problems with chameleons. not saying it has anything to do with legs either but it could cause another problem soon

I added a thick vine near his feed bowl/sunning pad and he is stretched with his chin and front legs on the vine and his butt and hind legs on the perch.

Cindy, do you turn your lights out at night for him? I realize you have kept him for a year already. I think if the leg problems persists I would take him to a good vet that knows chameleons. Where are you located?

ok just checking. Most of us go 12 on 12 off but if you have been doing that for a year already I would just leave it be. Glad you are willing to make the changes, they will be beneficial to your chameleon in the long run. Please keep us updated on his condition. He is a beautiful guy and I hope he gets better soon!!!

ozzy

Yes, I am going to the store after work to get the light you recommended. I hope he is okay too, he is so cute! I am really attached to him too. Thanks again for all the help. Oh, and I have been scared to put plants in his home for fear of toxicity. What plants are safe?

A lot of us use pothos, ficus & umbrella trees. Just wash the leaves good and cover the soil with rocks to large for your cham to eat. What is a sunning pad? if it is a heat pad get it out of there asap, it can burn him.

A lot of us use pothos, ficus & umbrella trees. Just wash the leaves good and cover the soil with rocks to large for your cham to eat. What is a sunning pad? if it is a heat pad get it out of there asap, it can burn him.

If you do decide to use an umbrella plant, make sure it is a Schefflera Arboricola. I just had to get rid of all of my umbrella plants of a different variety because they are toxic. Home Depot, Lowes, and even walmart sells them for around $8-$10. Good luck with him! How are his back legs now? Any improvement?

ozzy

By sunning pad I just meant a magnetic perch that he likes to sit on that I keep near the top so he can be near the lights. No heating pads, I remember reading no no to heating pads when we first starting researching them. During the night I checked on him and he was down to the bottom of the cage again, so I put him back up on his perch again. This morning he was still sleeping up on his perch so I sprayed the leaves before I left for work. Is there anything you can do to help the cham pass a bm? I think that he may have a upset tummy, mainly because I can't think of anything else it could be after all of your helpful advise. Can you give them some olive oil or something? Or just let nature take its course?

you can try a couple of things. Misting him directly with warm water. It always makes my chameleon go almost instantly. Put hot water in your sprayer. It should come out warm but make sure that you test it first. You can also try soaking him in some warm water in like a shallow container and massage his tummy. Thats of course if he will let you do that without too much undue stress. Also, you can try taking a large plant and let him sit in the shower with it. Turn on the water but don't soak him directly. Let it bounce of the wall onto hiim and the plant. You said that he had just had a bm though right?

ozzy

There was a dried poo in his home yesterday and I had just cleaned a few days before that, how often do they pooP? It was black with a spot of white. and very formed and hard.

Could he have fallen and injured his back?

What supplements specifically do you use and how often for each?
What do you gutload/feed the insects with??
Are the poops normal size? Thinner than normal?

ozzy

Can't find a vet in my area that will take care of cham. Ozzy is still hanging in there. I have put a few crickets in at a time, he ate 2 of them 2 days ago. I made a hammock for him because I found him lying on his side at the bottom of his cage yesterday. He will drink when I directly spray him with water. He hasn't pooped in a couple of days though. On one side there is a line and all the way down his side is dark green. Is this significant?

Hopefully after working on this an hour or more I have enclosed pictures of Ozzy and his home. Cindy

When was Ozzy's last bowel movement?

Sometimes when impacted it can cause paralysis in the back legs. They eat substrate and it gets stuck and they can't pass it.

What is your supplement scheduale? Sorry if you already said it.

Back
Top Bottom