Panther x Oustalet's hatching...

Stay positive, as they are truly unique. There are plenty of people out there who will appreciate them. Ousties are VERY popular in my area [Hampton Roads : Tidewater area]. Even our zoo has them on display. I will talk to my friend who breeds ousties and ask if interested. He seemed intrigued when I spoke to him about crossing them. I do believe, you will very satisfied in their outcome and colors. Best of luck. :)

[there is a pic of a male Furcifer pardalis X Furcifer oustaleti on page 19 of The Chameleon Handbook by Francois Le Berre from Barron's.]

Stay positive, as they are truly unique. There are plenty of people out there who will appreciate them. Ousties are VERY popular in my area [Hampton Roads : Tidewater area]. Even our zoo has them on display. I will talk to my friend who breeds ousties and ask if interested. He seemed intrigued when I spoke to him about crossing them. I do believe, you will very satisfied in their outcome and colors. Best of luck. :)

[there is a pic of a male Furcifer pardalis X Furcifer oustaleti on page 19 of The Chameleon Handbook by Francois Le Berre from Barron's.]

Hi there!

Thanks for the kind words :)

I pulled out my copy of that book but couldn't find the photograph anywhere. Perhaps there were reprints with adjustments?

Thanks,
Sam

Fascinating experiment Sam! I've bred Ousties a few times and find them particularly interesting. Just wondering, do you intend to continue the experiment by crossing two F1's together? Perhaps also back crossing a male F1 to the mother and a female F1 to the father? Those could provide valuable data to this experiment.....

2009 version [previous 2000 & 1995]
page 19 top right corner in Chapter 2 in the Habitats and Biotopes section.

CAM00368.jpg

CAM00369.jpg

The little Panther x Oustalet's crosses have ravenous appetites. I had a cup of tiny dusted crickets, and sprinkled them into the enclosure. But, there was one cricket that snuck into the mix that was about 3/4" long. I thought I was going to have to grab it and put it in another cage so it didn't bother the baby chams, but within a few seconds, one of the babies pounced on it.

He/she actually swallowed it, and kept eating. It's not overly surprising however, as the Oustalet's are consistently the best (most aggressive) eaters of any chameleon I keep.

Here's a picture of the little guy after it hit the big cricket, with some nice green color...and some siblings...

IMG_7219.jpg

Sam

Any news about how these neonates are doing? Thanks for allowing me to visit. I had a great time actually having a first hand look at chameleon oddities like these.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Sam

Any news about how these neonates are doing? Thanks for allowing me to visit. I had a great time actually having a first hand look at chameleon oddities like these.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

You're very welcome Jeremy, glad you could swing by. Thanks for lending me the Madagascar cham book too--I've enjoyed reading through it.

I've lost two of the neonates, but other than that they seem to be doing well. I've separated them into three groups based upon their size.

Sam

Sad, just because you can doesn't mean you should.

If once every great while a hybrid clutch happens because of allowed interactions by the keeper (importer, place of retail sales or keeper) that is not sad. It is neat to have proof once and a while that these hybrid clutch can hatch and produce babies that are capable of a long while.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Back
Top Bottom