Panther lamp/light question...

SKnaak

We are looking at a 6 month old panther male. Very nice chap. We might bring him home in the next couple of days... working on a great home for him to come home to! I owned a Veiled many years back so can't remember some of this stuff. My question is... if the cage is in one of my boys room, what about the two lights (UVA and UVB) Do these need to be on 24/7? Or can we have them on a timer. I think if the lights have a hood should be ok for him to sleep (my son), but just trying to remember... Lights on timer or pretty much just on all the time. It does not get that crazy hot or cold in our house. We live in Southern California which is pretty dang nice weather all year around.
Thanks,
Sam

We are looking at a 6 month old panther male. Very nice chap. We might bring him home in the next couple of days... working on a great home for him to come home to! I owned a Veiled many years back so can't remember some of this stuff. My question is... if the cage is in one of my boys room, what about the two lights (UVA and UVB) Do these need to be on 24/7? Or can we have them on a timer. I think if the lights have a hood should be ok for him to sleep (my son), but just trying to remember... Lights on timer or pretty much just on all the time. It does not get that crazy hot or cold in our house. We live in Southern California which is pretty dang nice weather all year around.
Thanks,
Sam
Use a timer so the lights are on during the day for 10-12 hours (I do 12), no lights at night- they need complete darkness. As for temperatures, at night, it needs to be between ~69-72, room temperature during the day between 75-77, and basking temp depends on the chameleons age

Lights on at least 12 hours. Some people run longer days. No lights at night. Chameleon should be fine at night as long as temps are 55°F or above. You will need two lights; UVB bulb (the long tubes T8 or T5) and a basking light (a regular incandescent bulb will work, or a halogen bulb). You should really read the caresheet provided here since your questions are answered there. Here's a link!

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/panther/

Lights on at least 12 hours. Some people run longer days. No lights at night. Chameleon should be fine at night as long as temps are 55°F or above. You will need two lights; UVB bulb (the long tubes T8 or T5) and a basking light (a regular incandescent bulb will work, or a halogen bulb). You should really read the caresheet provided here since your questions are answered there. Here's a link!

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/panther/

This ^^^^

The resource page on the forum also has quite a few articles regarding different aspects of husbandry.

If your bulbs are the old ones from your veiled they may not be putting out enough UVB even though they light up. If you don't know for sure how many months they were used it's best to replace them.

Back
Top Bottom