Panther keeps missing his food...???

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/65-supplements.html
and
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/75-feeder-nutrition-gutloading.html

If you dont cage them separately and properly, you're just asking for them to die so why bother feeding and supplementing properly

Thank you for that useful info. But that last part is neither necessary nor helpful. I've noticed that their seems to be an attitude in a number of posts here and in other threads on this board of some being above all others, or better, while putting those that are new and don't have it all just perfect (like some you here) down.

If you want to encourage people to come here and post, and enjoy chameleons, I recommend that such non-productive comments be curtailed...IMO

Thanks again!

There is an unending wealth of information to be found on here, from both veterinarians, scientific researchers as well as tons of years of practical experience with chameleons. If you want to take advantage of it, you're going to have to be prepared to sometimes have your mistakes spoken about unsympathetically. You need to be satisfied in the fact that these people have the needs of the chameleons as priority number one, regardless of your feelings or whether you like them or this forum. If they can get one point across that might save it's life, it's more important than being friendly. I try and keep in mind that they've probably each had the same mistakes come up about 1200 times, this is the 1200th time they've had to tell some newb to separate cages, or use calcium without D3. so I like to assume the first 100 times they were really sweet & patient about it. ;)
Just try to let it slide a little bit and just take the useful information and make your chameleon's lives better for it. Say each time your feelings get hurt, that mean person saved you a hundred dollar vet bill. Lol.
Anyways, just saying, try not to let it get to you and you'll learn a lot here. A LOT. It's worth it in the long run, I swear.

There is an unending wealth of information to be found on here, from both veterinarians, scientific researchers as well as tons of years of practical experience with chameleons. If you want to take advantage of it, you're going to have to be prepared to sometimes have your mistakes spoken about unsympathetically. You need to be satisfied in the fact that these people have the needs of the chameleons as priority number one, regardless of your feelings or whether you like them or this forum. If they can get one point across that might save it's life, it's more important than being friendly. I try and keep in mind that they've probably each had the same mistakes come up about 1200 times, this is the 1200th time they've had to tell some newb to separate cages, or use calcium without D3. so I like to assume the first 100 times they were really sweet & patient about it. ;)
Just try to let it slide a little bit and just take the useful information and make your chameleon's lives better for it. Say each time your feelings get hurt, that mean person saved you a hundred dollar vet bill. Lol.
Anyways, just saying, try not to let it get to you and you'll learn a lot here. A LOT. It's worth it in the long run, I swear.

Of course I value the opinions of pros, and am myself a successful business owner. My shorts are not in a wad over any of the above, believe me. But other posters of less skin and experience would likely be much more offended than I...

Once again, thanks!

David, the single most important bit of advice you've been given is to separate them. Yet, that's the one you aren't saying you'll follow. You have to expect people to react to that.

Is there a pressing reason to keep them together?

David, the single most important bit of advice you've been given is to separate them. Yet, that's the one you aren't saying you'll follow. You have to expect people to react to that.

Is there a pressing reason to keep them together?

Somehow you've misread what I stated... I did say that they will be seperated, which in fact has been done.

I appreciate everyone's help! Thanks again.

Ok I know this is an old thread but rather than start a new one here it goes.

My 4 mo BB ambilobe does this same thing. Shoots high on everything. This started a few weeks back and progressively got worse. I had been doing the recommended cal w/o every feeding cal w/d3 twice a month and multivit twice a month. I have also been gutloading with cricket crack and a frozen mix of greens and vegetables and oranges. I talked with Libby at Kammer's and she suggested he wasn't getting enough Vit A and possibly D3 so I gave just vit supplement for 2 days and he seemed to be doing much better and was striking 4+" way with regular success. I went away for the 4th of July holiday for 5 days and when I got back I noticed he was REALLY skinny and he is a great eater and has a wide variety of feeders. So I went to feeding him and noticed he could not strike his food at all, he was shooting really high. Once I got him some baby silkworms he would come down and pop them or just bite them. His sitter was only giving him dusted crickets while I was gone and hand feeding him a few superworms. From the look of him when I got home it looked like he hadn't eaten at all while I was away and if he was getting crickets he just isn't fast enough to grab them with his mouth not using his tongue. I have changed his dusting to sticky tongue formula outdoor for the trace minerals and have now switched over to Repashy Calcium plus which was recommended by Libby.
Other then the tongue he is don't great. Eating, pooping, drinking, growing shedding every two to three weeks. His urates looks good and white. Poop is nice and dark brown and compact.
Other than that he has a mistking going off 5 times a day and a humidifier in the room to keep humidity up above 50% and has a grow light, UVB 5.0 and a 40 watt basking spot at 83deg. Night temps are at 76deg. He is in a 18x18x36 lllreptile cage and has live plants (pathos, and umbrella).

I noticed Repashy just came out with Vit A supplement would that be a wise choice? Otherwise all I can think is that the sitter cause an injury to his tongue while hand feeding.

I have a Similar Problem David

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species= Ambilobe,
sex Male
age= 5mo.
How long has it been in your care?= 2weeks
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? handled him 3 times
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham?= crickets
What amount?= (10)
What is the schedule?= every other day in a feeding bowl and loose.
How are you gut-loading your feeders? Cricket Crack and water cubes
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? calcium w/(twice a mo) and w/o calcium(every feed) Multi vitamins (twice a mo)
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? lil dripper and Manual Misting With repti-Safe
How often and how long to you mist? every day for about 2 min.
Do you see your chameleon drinking? Yes
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. black and white.
Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? No
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 4x2x2 all screem
Lighting - reptisun 5.0 and a 60 watt house
What is your daily lighting schedule? 7a.m to 6p.m with an hour break at 12p.m
Temperature - basking 83-85.
How do you measure these temps? ACCURITE
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? 50-55%
How are you creating and maintaining these levels? Misting 3 time a day What do you use to measure humidity? ACCURITE
Plants - Are you using live plants? Yes
If so, what kind? schefflera, pothos and Croton
Placement - Where is your cage located? room near window for ventilation.
Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? NO
At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? 61/2 - 71/2 ft
Location - Where are you geographically located? So. Cal (Los Angeles)

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

At waht age do they fully shoot out their tongue, and also when does the acuricy come in???

reason i ask is that my guy (Giggitty) try's to walk up to the crickets, and when he does use his tongue, he misses. Aout of all hte times i've seen him try, he;s missed 100% of the time

I´d definitely go visit the vet in your place. This might be a serious problem and he might die if you don´t react quickly. Chameleons are very sensitive and do barely any signs of illness before it is REALLY bad.

Sorry David, you're quite right of course. My appologies for the rude unnecessary negativity. I must have had my panties in a twist

No problem Sandra... all of us have to untwist the panties occaisionally. PM responded to.

Your wealth of knowledge and help with this issue is appreciated!

I didnt read through what everyone wrote... but i figured i'd add my two cents.

I have a female that is VERY healthy but from the day i got her could not hit the mark on her bugs! i use excellent gutload, dust on a proper schedule.. have all the right lighting and everything.... I'm thinkin she needs some chameleon glasses! or Maybe she burned her retna staring at a light bulb when little so lacks some depth perception...

all in all.. just make sure he's eating and drinking and if there are no other health issue arising, it could just be a weird one like mine!

I didnt read through what everyone wrote... but i figured i'd add my two cents.

I have a female that is VERY healthy but from the day i got her could not hit the mark on her bugs! i use excellent gutload, dust on a proper schedule.. have all the right lighting and everything.... I'm thinkin she needs some chameleon glasses! or Maybe she burned her retna staring at a light bulb when little so lacks some depth perception...

all in all.. just make sure he's eating and drinking and if there are no other health issue arising, it could just be a weird one like mine!

Definitely no good idea! It might be a weird ones like yours, but what if it´s not? Inproper use of the tongue is a well known indicator for illness.
Please visit the vet.
@drcrossfire: which lightbulbs do you use? Do you know which were used before you got your cham?

Definitely no good idea! It might be a weird ones like yours, but what if it´s not? Inproper use of the tongue is a well known indicator for illness.
Please visit the vet.
@drcrossfire: which lightbulbs do you use? Do you know which were used before you got your cham?

All i'm saying is that there are some chameleons that just dont get it: yes. there is sometimes issues that it indicates. No, dont ignore it if it is a new problem.

I use the strip 5.0s. I'm not sure of the lighting before which is why I said maybe it was eye damage-- w/o depth perception its hard to shoot a tongue!

So I am off to the vet this afternoon. He has plumped back up and his color looks better but his aim is NO better I am taking a poop sample for them to test and we will see what the vet says. I am really starting to think the cham sitter is at fault here by somehow injuring his tongue. I have noticed since I have been back he will not take anything from the tongs and I think only takes from my fingers because he was so hungry. So maybe he had a tong issue with the sitter because he has always taken things from my tongs in the past. I REALLY just hope it heals I hate seeing him shoot at something 7-8 times and then walk away without anything :(

So, I probably should start my own thread on this but we will start here.

Just got back from the vet and he looked him over well and thought he look wonderful and that my Husbandry was spot on. He looked over the tongue and pulled it out (looks like he gave him a little bruise under his eye) He thought it looked swollen and slightly red. Was worried about a base of tongue abscess. Also ran a fecal sample and found no parasites but did find some evidence of infection and gave me Baytril to give .3cc for ten days. He seemed to be really knowledgeable on Chams and had breed Pearsons in the '90's.
So what do you all think of the diagnosis?

I got my Cham a month ago and he is a panther and misses sometimes but if I keep putting food in hell eventually get it.... He just needs practice I think and also I think sometimes he is focusing on me watching when he should be focusing on the insect ya know.... So stop watching him eat and at the end of the day count the fishes he caught

Back
Top Bottom