Panther hatchling eye issues

Tatertot

Ok so I've kind of run into a little issue...

So, today (this morning) I had 2 baby panthers hatch. One pipped yesterday morning and came out this morning other hatched during the night. Anyway both have the same issue. They both have one eye that's completely fine. The other eye isn't as filled in & isn't as round as the good eye and the eyes with this issue won't open. I've lightly spritsed them with a tiny bit of water to try to help them with the issue to no avail. They were both very lively by this afternoon so I placed them both in a small hatchling tub with eachother so as to avoid any issues being in a bigger setup with the other older Falys. So far neither have ate or drank which I understand with having just hatched today. They climb on the fake vines ok. One is getting around ok in the bin. The other only moves minimally every few hours.

I'm beginning to wonder if they each have an under developed eye?

These 2 are #17 & #18 of this clutch to hatch. They were laid on 11-30-12 and incubated at 73° the first 3months, then graduated to 75° the next 3months & finally around 6months they were graduated to 77° and incubated in perlite. This is the way I've always incubated panthers and never had an issue like this.

My question is has anyone run into snow issue like this? If so have any survived? I'm hoping that the eye issue will straighten out but if it doesn't and 1 or both survive, what quality of like could they have and could they still hunt and get around fairly normally?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

When I got my Fem. veiled one eye she would always scratch. Eye drops the vet Rxed her didn't help much. She's now 2 and very healthy. She can't see out of the effected eye, but compensates just fine with her good eye. I also tried refresh eyedrops seems to help some if you wanna try that.

Ok. I'd thought about the fact they might be able to compensate with the working eye if the affected eye doesn't get better especially with their age. I'm hoping it's just that they haven't opened yet but want to plan just in case.

Has anyone had babies hatch with only 1 eye fully developed? I'm hoping my hunch is wrong but with the affected eye areas not pertruding as much as chams eyes generally do or as much as their working eyes, I'm beginning to wonder.

Update:

Both babies now have both eyes open and are doing great. Not sure whether they possibly got a particle of the perlite they were incubated in their eye or just needed to acclimate to being out of the egg and under uvb lighting, but their both now fine and eating and drinking with both eyes open so after a few more days to a week of being separated from the others they'll be being put in regular baby bins with their hatchmates.

Back
Top Bottom