Panther Chameleon's Color stays dark

emmayu

Is it possible that a chameleon doesn't like the basking light?
I'm a first time owner of a panther chameleon and recently bought a 5 month old panther chameleon, for some reason he's color turns dark and stays dark while he's in his cage. I know it takes a few days for him to get used to his environment but it's been 5 days already. I noticed that once I turn off the light or he's out of his cage his colors comes back. His color also shows when he's hunting for crickets and also sleeping.
The temp in his cage is always around high 70s to 80s and have a misting system going also. At first I thought it was due to him turning dark trying to soak up the heat but he stays dark most of the time. If anyone has this problem or know what is going on please help.

Attachments

• IMG_2015.JPG
    IMG_2015.JPG
    366.4 KB · Views: 119
5 days isn't enough. It took my one panther a couple weeks after getting him to color up. You need to give him space. 1-2 weeks of minimal contact is usually recommended in the beginning.

That all said, chameleons at rest don't show as much color. When they flare up, it is due to a stress response. Don't confuse stress for a bad thing, though it can be, stress could be anything from hunting a cricket to very scared. It's stimulation.

Maybe post a picture of your set up?

This is my set up right now there’s a plant on the bottom I took out to let it air out

Attachments

• 3157C7C8-23A4-4EBA-BB25-9D778A9A4BF2.jpeg
    3157C7C8-23A4-4EBA-BB25-9D778A9A4BF2.jpeg
    393.6 KB · Views: 99
Back
Top Bottom