Panther chameleon with eye damage.

bigjon79

Hello,

please help me save my panther chameleon. I just got him yesterday by a reputable breeder. However, the problem is his eye. The moment I got him out I noticed something was wrong.He was laying on his back and wouldn’t let me seethe other side of him. After examining I noticed his other eye is completely shut. I contacted the breeder and he said he shipped the chameleon fine over night which I believe him. I believe the problem is the ice pack that was provided in the shipping box because it was laying directly next to the chameleon plastic container. I think that over night shipping the chameleon fell asleep on the side where the ice pack is and his eye got damaged. It’s been well over 24 hours since I got him and the chameleon is the same. He can’t climb any branches because he can only see from one eye. I’ve tried misting him 3x times a day but he doesn’t seem interested in water. I tried hand feeding him Dubias, wax worms but nothing. He just lays in the bottom of the cage. I placed a pillow cover in the bottom too. I tried putting some distilled water on the eye to see if it helps but it remained closed overnight.

the breeder advised that he would replace the chameleon if it passed away or refund me but I really want to save his life.

Any advise or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
CD718897-3927-4F26-81BD-F44C890EE68F.jpeg

Attachments

• B124416C-C003-4025-9380-C33885FBD537.jpeg
    B124416C-C003-4025-9380-C33885FBD537.jpeg
    244.8 KB · Views: 110
I would be careful misting him ...he might aspirate the water into his lungs.

Can he stand on his feet...you show him laying on his side ...which is why it asking.

He can stand on his own feet and attempts to climb but only goes in circles on verticle branches since he can only see from one eye. his depth perception is messed up so he tries to always be on the side where he can see. Always laying in the bottom.

What's the temperature in the area of the cage where it's sitting?

It's normal for them to circle when they have a sudden loss of vision in one eye.

I'm concerned that if he was indeed resting on/near the ice pack he did more than just do damage to the eye.

Poor guy... Why would they put the ice pack right on the container...what business was this? Like kinyonga asked do you have a heatlamp on for him?

the breeder advised that he would replace the chameleon if it passed away or refund me but I really want to save his life.
First, I applaud your desire to save the cham's life, however, if all is as described, it sounds to me (and IANAL) like at least some degree of negligence on the part of the breeder and/or shipper (if one was used).

So, if this animal had suffered a broken limb or other serious injury in transport, it'd be just your tough luck?

I don't understand this. It sounds to me like the animal was damaged in transport, and a reputable breeder should—and would—make things right. Can anyone explain to me how this is OK?

I think I'd like to know who this "reputable" breeder is too. :(

Last edited:
First, I applaud your desire to save the cham's life, however, if all is as described, it sounds to me (and IANAL) like at least some degree of negligence on the part of the breeder and/or shipper (if one was used).

So, if this animal had suffered a broken limb or other serious injury in transport, it'd be just your tough luck?

I don't understand this. It sounds to me like the animal was damaged in transport, and a reputable breeder should—and would—make things right. Can anyone explain to me how this is OK?

I think I'd like to know who this "reputable" breeder is too. :(

Agree

This thread makes me very very sad... I am so sorry this happened to you and to your chameleon... Poor baby. What city and state do you live in. We can recommend a good reptile vet to take him to.

I live in upland, ca.

I have been using a fogger on him at night Trying to hydrate him since he is not interested in food or water at all. I’m honestly surprised he has held up this long. He has a strong will to survive and I’m gonna do my part until he gives up.

I’m a new chameleon breeder myself and love all these animals as if they were my own kids. my Instagram is @engineeredchameleons just in case I don’t reply back here for tips on him thanks.

I live in upland, ca.

I have been using a fogger on him at night Trying to hydrate him since he is not interested in food or water at all. I’m honestly surprised he has held up this long. He has a strong will to survive and I’m gonna do my part until he gives up.

I’m a new chameleon breeder myself and love all these animals as if they were my own kids. my Instagram is @engineeredchameleons just in case I don’t reply back here for tips on him thanks.
@jannb do you know of any vets near upland, ca.

Back
Top Bottom