Panther Chameleon UVB Fixture and Lighting

Grayson Payne

Avid Member
Hello everyone! So today I've been looking at purchasing a uvb light fixture and bulb. I have decided that I want to go with an Arcadia bulb. Right now, I am looking at buying just the plan 36'" light fixture from Light Your Reptiles and buy a 6% uvb bulb. I have seen that there is also the Arcadia Pro t5 fixture and bulbs on the website as well. My question is, does anyone know which one would be better? Should I buy the Arcadia Pro fixture instead of just a regular one? Thanks! Also, I'm sticking with a 6% right now as I don't have a solar meter, but I may look into purchasing one in the future.

36" regular fixture - http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/34-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-base-unit-no-bulb/

Arcadia Pro t5 fixture with bulb - http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/arcadia-pro-t5-fixture-6-bulb-35-sale/

Also, does anyone recommend me getting a dual fixture? The second light would be for plant growth.
I have the ProT5 kit that daisy chains to my Arcadia Jungle Dawn LED bar. One less cord running out of the back of my cage to an outlet. That being said, I like the idea of having multiple fixtures so you can set them on different timers if you want to stagger your lights going on and off at different times. To your point of using the 6% bulb, if you get a dual or quad fixture, you might have to go the 12% route but it’s always best to check those UVB levels regardless. The Chameleon Academy podcast has a lot of episodes on UVB with John Courteney-Smith from Arcadia where they discuss a lot of this so I would check those out if you haven’t.

I have the ProT5 kit that daisy chains to my Arcadia Jungle Dawn LED bar. One less cord running out of the back of my cage to an outlet. That being said, I like the idea of having multiple fixtures so you can set them on different timers if you want to stagger your lights going on and off at different times. To your point of using the 6% bulb, if you get a dual or quad fixture, you might have to go the 12% route but it’s always best to check those UVB levels regardless. The Chameleon Academy podcast has a lot of episodes on UVB with John Courteney-Smith from Arcadia where they discuss a lot of this so I would check those out if you haven’t.
Thanks for the reply! Do you feel that the Arcadia Jungle Dawn LED bar helps out a lot?

I run a quad unit (4bulbs) I have no additional lights for plant growth this way. I run a UVB bulb, plant pro bulb, and 2 6500 daylight bulbs.
The quads have specifics though as to which UVB strength you get based off if their is 1 reflector panel for all 4 bulbs to share or if they have individual reflector panels.
If it is 1 reflector for all 4 you need a 12% arcadia. If they have individual reflectors then you need a 6%. fixture would lay directly on top of cage and you would want an 8 inch drop to basking level. Typically putting the UVB bulb in the back position farthest away from you if you have the fixture toward the front of the cage. This pushes the UVB down the middle of the cage rather then one side. I have had absolutely no issue with plant die offs or growth. I have 2 pothos, 3 dracaena, 2 orchids.

If you run a single or dual fixture you will not use anything stronger then a 6% bulb... fixture directly on cage top and 9 inches to basking level.

Last edited:
I run a quad unit (4bulbs) I have no additional lights for plant growth this way. I run a UVB bulb, plant pro bulb, and 2 6500 daylight bulbs.
The quads have specifics though as to which UVB strength you get based off if their is 1 reflector panel for all 4 bulbs to share or if they have individual reflector panels.
If it is 1 reflector for all 4 you need a 12% arcadia. If they have individual reflectors then you need a 6%. fixture would lay directly on top of cage and you would want an 8 inch drop to basking level. Typically putting the UVB bulb in the back position farthest away from you if you have the fixture toward the front of the cage. This pushes the UVB down the middle of the cage rather then one side. I have had absolutely no issue with plant die offs or growth. I have 2 pothos, 3 dracaena, 2 orchids.

If you run a single or dual fixture you will not use anything stronger then a 6% bulb... fixture directly on cage top and 9 inches to basking level.
Okay, so if I understand correctly, you’re using just one slot for a uvb and the other three for plant growth? Also where did you purchase your quad at and how big is it? (And your cage if you don’t mind me asking) Thanks!

Okay, so if I understand correctly, you’re using just one slot for a uvb and the other three for plant growth? Also where did you purchase your quad at and how big is it? (And your cage if you don’t mind me asking) Thanks!
Yes, your correct. 1 uvb bulb, either 1 plant pro bulb, and two 6500 daylight bulbs or you can run 1 uvb bulb and three 6500 daylight bulbs. My cage is a dragon strand med tall atrium clearside... My cage is 30 inches wide x 24 deep x 48 tall, so I have a 30 inch fixture. I bought my original fixture off Light your reptiles.. It died after a year so I bought the replacement off amazon. You can buy the bulbs from light your reptiles, pangea reptile, and the 6500 daylight bulbs off amazon. Looks like LYR does not sell his quad anymore but he was having issues with his...

This is the quad I have , this has 1 single reflector so you have to have a 10.0 or 12% bulb.
on amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01714RE7O/ref=twister_B01L9SPD8A?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Here is a pic when I had all pothos in it... set up for 6 months like this no issues.

cage front 6-21-19.jpg

Yes, your correct. 1 uvb bulb, either 1 plant pro bulb, and two 6500 daylight bulbs or you can run 1 uvb bulb and three 6500 daylight bulbs. My cage is a dragon strand med tall atrium clearside... My cage is 30 inches wide x 24 deep x 48 tall, so I have a 30 inch fixture. I bought my original fixture off Light your reptiles.. It died after a year so I bought the replacement off amazon. You can buy the bulbs from light your reptiles, pangea reptile, and the 6500 daylight bulbs off amazon. Looks like LYR does not sell his quad anymore but he was having issues with his...

This is the quad I have , this has 1 single reflector so you have to have a 10.0 or 12% bulb.
on amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01714RE7O/ref=twister_B01L9SPD8A?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Here is a pic when I had all pothos in it... set up for 6 months like this no issues.

View attachment 264714
Awesome! Do you mind me asking how you got your plants like the on the sides? I purchased the dragon strand ledges for my cage as well.

Awesome! Do you mind me asking how you got your plants like the on the sides? I purchased the dragon strand ledges for my cage as well.
Here is my build thread... It shows my newbie errors in reading the ds direction for the ledges :hilarious: But it will give you a ton of info. It shows the progression of learning as well lol. I hate the exo terra vines that I had bought they are bad for chams so read through the entire thread lol. Key is vertical support branches for the ledges. The pots I am using are not actual pots.... They were from ikea for use in drawers. I drilled tiny whole in the bottom and they have a hanger that worked on the ledges.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/new-dragon-strand-clear-side-aka-bemans-mansion.167884/

Here is my build thread... It shows my newbie errors in reading the ds direction for the ledges :hilarious: But it will give you a ton of info. It shows the progression of learning as well lol. I hate the exo terra vines that I had bought they are bad for chams so read through the entire thread lol. Key is vertical support branches for the ledges. The pots I am using are not actual pots.... They were from ikea for use in drawers. I drilled tiny whole in the bottom and they have a hanger that worked on the ledges.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/new-dragon-strand-clear-side-aka-bemans-mansion.167884/
Thank you! This will really help me out. You’re amazing!

Thank you! This will really help me out. You’re amazing!
Your welcome hun. Here are the ikea "planters" https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/variera-utensil-holder-white-10303148/

The hook on the planter is what sits on the ledge... on one of the last pages in my thread you can see my final change with the bamboo supports on ledges and overhaul with all drift wood branches. The planters work better if they are leaning against support from a branch. So having vertical supports is important. Can't be larger then about a half inch though or the pots will not hook on to the ledge with the support branch in between. If you look at the pics up close you will see what I mean.

Back
Top Bottom