Panther chameleon not laying eggs

Brook

She's about 6 weeks due. Seems to still be eating moving drinking. No signs of fatigue. Gravid colours and has but on quite a bit of weight. But she hasn't even touched her lay bin which is about 11 inches deep. Does this mean she's egg bound? I have an appointment with the vet in a week but would rather get this solved now. Thanks for the advice!

Start from the beginning with as much detail as possible.

Post a current pic of her, bin, and viv.

Please fill out the “how to ask for help” form and post your answers back here. Quality pictures will help us help you.

Chameleon Info:

◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

◦ Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

2 Photos can be very helpful.

Chameleon Info:

◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? PAnther, Female, bout a year and half

◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? rarely probably last touched her easily months ago

◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Superworms, dubia roaches, hornworms, no schedule. but definetly heavier on super worms then id like (waiting for roach colony to get a bit bigger)

◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? repashy without d3 calcium supplemnt. every day. mutivitamin repashy every 2 weeks

◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? mist roughly 4 times a day between a minute and 2 mintues each mist

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? white, not tested

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? sceen 2x2x4

◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 12 hours on 12 hours off. have a 2 uvb bulbs and one basking bulb. hoping to swtich to linear t5ho soon

◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? basking spot is 85 degrees night time is usualy around 75

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? hunidity is usualy around 20% area i live in is arid as all hell. definetly struggling with it

◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? wandering jew and pythos

◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? walk in closet no moving air probably 8 feet up. i have the cageon a esk

◦ Location - Where are you geographically located? alberta

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. it has been 6-7 weeks since my female copulated with my male. she has been showing gravid colours. has gained a signicant amount of weight. she still eats and does not seem remotely lethargic. my only concern is i read most panthers lay in 3-4 weeks and on rare occasion 5-6 weeks and im clearly over that period. does this mean shes egg bound? do i need medical intervetion or should she be fine and just wait it out?

PS i would inculde pics but she was near the bottom of the enclosure witch is rare so dont wanna disturb just in case.

You said she is now at the bottom of her cage well that’s a good sign. Do you have some type of curtains to give her privacy for laying purpose? She will need a her privacy. Laying can be a very stressful give her cover and check on on her every so often.

Also having this same issue but she is still moving quite well and she just started poking around the bottom (her whole lay bin) fingers crossed !!

@Brook I'm wondering what happened with your chameleon since you never posted again. I hope everything went well in the end.

@Curlys_chameleons we need information if you want us to be able to help you with this. What species is your chameleon?

Please answer the questions in the how to ask for help thread near the top of the health forum. Please be very specific about the supplements and feeding...how many insects per feeding, etc.

Do you have a laybin and what's the substrate?

She was eggbound. Pre ovulatory stasis. Because it was pre ovulatory compared to post. Oxytocin wouldn't work as the eggs were not calcified. So the remaining options where medical intervention or surgical. Medical is pretty much a shot of fluids and calcium hoping the eggs would calcify and she could pass them but she said there's almost no chance it would work. Surgical would cost 1000 dollars (CAD) chance of survival was 50/50 and she would be barren after. So tried medical. She has never layed a clutch but goes through the occasional phase of popping out eggs when climbing around her enclosure. No digging. Will just be on a branch and poop one out. Super bizzare.

@Brook ... Following up like this helps me learn so thank you so much for replying! This is unusual that she is still alive and seemingly doing ok. I'd love to see a photo of her now.
In over 30 years of keeping chameleons I've seen a few weird unnatural cases with veileds but not with panthers. I'm not surprised the oxytocin didn't work...there is a limited time that it will help. Did they take X-rays of her? If so, we're the eggs showing as round or oval? Are the ones she's dropping from time to time oval?
Once again thanks for replying.

send You a message but long story short 3 feeders ever other or so days repshy cal and flukers d3 1st and 15th keep her nice and hydrated and her soil sand mix in her big container at bottom of cage

06CB12EB-203C-4628-AD76-F196B02C4FD0.jpeg

Eggs were round in the x-ray and oval when I find them in her enclosure. Super bizzare for sure. Still has healthy appetite and behaviour but wish she just get around to laying a clutch.lol

Back
Top Bottom