Panther chameleon not drinking

Sambam247

Hello I have a 6-7 month old male panther chameleon and I’m not sure if he’s drinking or not I spray the enclosure all to make sure it’s there but I very rarely see him drinking is this normal or should I be worried

If his urates are white he's drinking enough. If you are seeing a yellow or orange portion in his urates you may want to encourage him to drink with longer misting sesions or a dripper. Many chameleons are shy about drinking and won't get into it until they have spent several minutes being lightly sprayed. Some simply do it on the sly.

I seldom see either of mine drinking. Record a video on your cell phone. Mist the cage well and walk away. probably 2-5 minutes after you leave, he will sip a few drops. Mine don't usually drink much at a time and I dont think they even drink every day. Other than that... What JacksJill said.

Just to add, I've noticed my oldest panther starting to get yellow urates, and he was already being misted 5-7 min in the morning followed by a couple 2 minute mistings later in the day, plus a 20 min long mist 1x a week. He even has solid sides, with tons of live plants and good humidity. I've upped the misting even more since then and am monitoring it closely. I really don't think handspraying is a long term solution unless you live somewhere like florida and have extremely high ambient humidity all year around.

I really don't think handspraying is a long term solution unless you live somewhere like florida and have extremely high ambient humidity all year around.
I do agree a misting system is a better long term solution to hydration unless you work from home and don't travel.

Yeah when I had 1 panther and was taking online classes, I was home enough to handmist to get by. But never intended to do that forever.

Thanks for you advice guys do you have a misting system that you would suggest for me to use at all as I am using a spray bottle at the moment

I have a Climist system many people use MistKing. MistKing is a bit more money but may have a better timer. If you are only ever going to have one chameleon at a time repti rain might work for you but it won't last as long as the other systems and isn't as adjustable. You will still need to do some daily hand misting with the ReptiRain.

I have only seen my Cham drink once, it was right after he got delivered and placed into his new home. In the 2 weeks sense I have not seen him drink, but by checking his bowel movements I am sure hes nice an healthy. They have a post here about the poo and what it should look like, One thing with chams is they hide being sick so well you will almost never know they are sick till its to late. I would recommend checking out that post so you can be sure yours is healthy.

Back
Top Bottom