Panther Chameleon needs new home

I think I will try to get a plant after payday this weekend. He seems to be doing okay.. My tax return is a little better than expected so I was thinking of buying him a Mist King starter kit when it gets to my back account. I'll get a temp gun asap as well. I have a question, He is dark when he sits under the basking light, almost black. Is it not hot enough?

I think I will try to get a plant after payday this weekend. He seems to be doing okay.. My tax return is a little better than expected so I was thinking of buying him a Mist King starter kit when it gets to my back account. I'll get a temp gun asap as well. I have a question, He is dark when he sits under the basking light, almost black. Is it not hot enough?

Its normal for them to darken their color while basking. It helps them absorb heat faster. As he gets to "operating temp" he'll lighten up again and start moving away from the heat. You may see him gape temporarily (the cham version of a pant) but he should stop once he moves.

You seen to be taking care of it as good as you can keep him I can donate some vines and maybe a few odds and ins some calcium and such

Sorry for the late reply, I barely have any time to get on the computer. I just got him a Umbrella plant and he seems happier! His cage was so bare before. I'm still slowly buying all the things he needs. I took a pic tonight and wanted to make sure it looked ok, I don't know if it looks a little too crowded? Or do they enjoy that? Should I trim the plant? I'm trying to add more horizontal branches as well.

I'm not an expert, but its best to have the highest perch 2-3" away from the top of the screen. Then have the basking bulb elevated from the top of the cage, and play with that elevation until you reach the correct basking temp at that highest perch. This way, the cham won't burn himself . Also, you should trim the plant in between itself to make walk ways.

Looking a lot better! You could trim some spaces through the plant to make it easier for him to get around, but it's not necessary. If he's like my guy he'll just plow right through anything in his way. :p It's not too crowded. They like places to hide away in seclusion. I agree that you need more horizontal branches at different heights. I disagree with putting one as high as 2-3 inches from the top, but I guess it's ok as long as you elevate the lights.

Have you worked out the supplement schedule and gutloading the feeders? This is crutial to his health.

Nice job Turing things around for him. Very cool that you care so much! I hope you've worked it out with your roommate to keep him. I'd hate to see you do all this work and then have your roommate insist that the cham still belongs to him.

tell your roommate to stop being a stubborn and selfish person. This animal needs helps and your roommate doesnt want to provide it. Find someone willing to take it off his hands for free and move on. Sucks you lost money but he was the one who chose to buy the animal. I bought a sick cham from a notable store and ended up paying thousands in vet bills to have it die 3 months after I got him. It happens. Accept that and try and get the guy the help he can without worrying about the money. If he was worried about the money he never shouldve gotten an exotic animal, they always cost a lot of money and are harder to care for.

Looking good from where you started. I think you just adopted a new friend though.

I suspect this too. Raising a nice juvenile cham can be a joy. They are fascinating creatures that work their way into our hearts pretty easily. Once you deal with the learning curve (or decide you WANT to) he's set up and established the daily work isn't too bad.

I'm not an expert, but its best to have the highest perch 2-3" away from the top of the screen.

I disagree with having the basking spot so close to the top of the screen. Plenty of room in the enclosure to place it at least 6-8 inches from the top assuming the basking fixture is on the top of the cage not elevated above the top. More horizontal branches will make good pathways through the umbrella plant.

I disagree with having the basking spot so close to the top of the screen. Plenty of room in the enclosure to place it at least 6-8 inches from the top assuming the basking fixture is on the top of the cage not elevated above the top. More horizontal branches will make good pathways through the umbrella plant.

This is so the chameleon cant burn itself when climbing on the top of the screen. The highest perch level is determined by how big the chameleon is.

Hi, I think I have secretly adopted him, he has so much personality! He loves just sitting on top of my head while I clean the house lol, so adorable. Unfortunately I couldn't buy a Mist King because an unexpected car repair came up but I got a Little Dripper and I mist his cage 2-3 times a day. I see him drinking all the time and basking occasionally. I got calcium powder and the herpivite (sp?) I use the calcium every other day and the multivitamin once a week on Mondays. He seems to be doing ok. He recently shed and has so much color, it is so beautiful! I think his tail is shedding again. I've been feeding crickets and superworms but I am looking into getting some hornworms and maybe breeding dubia roaches. As for the basking light, he never stands right where the basking bulb is. I have seen him a couple times hanging on the screen under the UV light tho. He seems to be a smart little guy. I attached a picture, please let me know if he looks healthy! Also, I forgot to add hes pooping mostly once a day. He has definitely stole my heart!

WOW! :eek: Look at how dark and beautiful his colors are turning out! He's only going to get better. I'm really glad you have taken a liking to him. It would have been ashamed to see him in poor condition because the original owner no longer wanted to care for him. Please keep us updated! :)

60watts is good enough but you should always have a shaded area on the lower part of the cage he can escape to if gets it's too hot and don't forget to mist him to help with humidity n hydration ... a dripper is also a good idea to offer water.

For some reason he wont shoot his tongue to catch the bugs. He tries but it only shoots out like 1/8 of a inch and he tries to stretch as much as possible towards the feeding tongs so he can just eat it without shooting his tongue. :confused: He use to shoot his tongue

For some reason he wont shoot his tongue to catch the bugs. He tries but it only shoots out like 1/8 of a inch and he tries to stretch as much as possible towards the feeding tongs so he can just eat it without shooting his tongue. :confused: He use to shoot his tongue

I would start a new thread in the health section. Title it help he won't shoot his tongue. Then give your info. That way people who have already looked at your first thread will know to look again.

Jmo

Back
Top Bottom