Panther chameleon MBD

terencinho

Hello. I'm writing on here with the upmost regret, but my Blue bar ambilobe panther Chameleon is very ill. I am filled with sorrow towards him & his illness, but also full of anger at myself because his condition is solely down to me & my lack of due care. Colin is a male Chameleon & approximately 3 years old. He is my first chameleon. It is only with hindsight I can say he has MBD. Sadly I've only just started to read the treads on this & 1 other forum. ( reptile forum uk) I had no idea there was anything wrong with him until a few weeks ago. But now I have read up on the signs to mbd, the signs where there much longer. I sometimes noticed Colin, whilst climbing, try to grab hold of his own leg. Now as winter set in i noticed a lack of activity which was followed by him sleeping in the day. To which he started to eat less. So I mentioned his behaviour at the shop where I purchased him from. To which no fault of the person I discussed Colin's state, due to the fact there not a vet, they suggested it could be simply due to night time temperature. i.e his enclosure temp drops that low at night, that by the time it gets nice and warm the next day the lights go off & it's back to square 1. I agreed this could be valid, as in all honesty where his tank is in my living room, which happens to be open plan & the coldest room in my house, not to mention right near the back/kitchen door which we use a lot more than the front. So to address this I fitted night bulb on a thermostat which is set to 78°f & more recently changed his komodo 5.0 uva bulb for a exo terrace solar glo 125w which is on a timer. But he still won't/can't eat & seems to deteriorating quite rapid. He still seems to drink alittle when I spray his tank & I'm doing this with 10ml of zolcal-d in 1 litre of filtered water. As i naively thought it could be the cold due to the winter I've not handled him for a while, wanting to keep him warm but on doing so today I noticed his right nostril was blocked, which I picked clear for him. As he appears to have respiratory problems. I tried to get a drop of zolcal d down his throat. But has since read he needs calcium with out D3! What Calcium supplement should I be using? Is Colin's condition reversible? Any advice is very much appreciated.
Thanks.

Colins condition is not reversible under any conditions, but you can slow it and maybe stop it. The most important thing is that you learn from your mistakes and rectify the situation. That being said, lets try and get you setup.

Supplements: He should have bugs dusted with Calcium w/o D3 4-6 times weekly. He needs calcium with D3 twice a month and a multivitamin twice a month. Others with more knowledge may chime in to offer different amounts now that he is sick. I would also try and locate some liquid calcium glutimate, not sure of spelling, I know House of Chameleons sells it. You can also get a shot of calcium from a vet which would really help get his levels in order. I would also offer silk worms as a feeder.

You do not need a night light. You need a temp drop. I would aim for 70 degrees at bottom of cage during day and down to 60 at night, That is ok, My panther chams went down into the low 50's with no problems. No lights at night, total darkness.

You may need to make some bug soup and feed him with a syringe. Any food in him will be good. Good luck and others will have advice too.

Please post a recent photo of him so we can see his condition. Also please answer the questions in the how to ask for help thread at the top of the health forum. Please be specific about things like supplements and lighting and temperatures.

Back
Top Bottom